Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making the move to Vancouver

Making the move to Vancouver

Old Feb 12th 2018, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the move to Vancouver

Originally Posted by Dave_Pardew
Not at all, trust me, they're a right pair of whingers, egging each other on!

Honestly, though, I'm sure they'll have a good whinge for a while, however I've made peace with myself knowing it's par for the course for other passengers on flights whether it's cats or small children, in general people do understand (and if they don't then that's really not my problem, we're not deliberately trying to make anyone else's life miserable); and of course there's no reason to suggest that the cats will have the energy to keep it up for nine hours.

Plus it's just a one-off trip, and if I had the choice I'd rather have them with me in the cabin where I can keep an eye on them, give them water and make them as comfortable as possible, rather than have my mind constantly on their welfare while they're in the pet hold (which I have no doubts is perfectly adequate for them).

Regarding carriers:

Back in the day, those were known as OPKs, and the parents were despised.

I've been on planes where the air crew refused to assist parents with OPKs .... QUANTAS used to be very bad for that!
Old Feb 12th 2018, 8:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

however I've made peace with myself knowing it's par for the course for other passengers on flights whether it's cats or small children, in general people do understand (and if they don't then that's really not my problem, we're not deliberately trying to make anyone else's life miserable); and of course there's no reason to suggest that the cats will have the energy to keep it up for nine hours.

Plus it's just a one-off trip, and if I had the choice I'd rather have them with me in the cabin where I can keep an eye on them, give them water and make them as comfortable as possible, rather than have my mind constantly on their welfare while they're in the pet hold (which I have no doubts is perfectly adequate for them).
Whose problem is it then? If they are your pets or kids, it would certainly not be my problem.
If you have no doubt it is adequate, why put the pets thought the trauma in being in a cabin with lots of people and noise?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Recently, in USA, airlines have amended their policy on carrying 'emotional support' pets in the cabin.
It clearly got out of hand and now some passengers flushed their pets, like hamsters, down the toilet.... apparently to get attention. One guy filmed to send to his ex who had gifted the animal.... but was cheating on him.
No wonder they needed 'emotional support' pets in the first place.

Personally, I think we should make space in the hold for such pax and keep the pets upstairs in the cabin, strapped to a seat...
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Dave_Pardew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
Whose problem is it then? If they are your pets or kids, it would certainly not be my problem.
If you have no doubt it is adequate, why put the pets thought the trauma in being in a cabin with lots of people and noise?
Who says they're in any more trauma flying in the cabin than in the hold? Pets have no reference point regarding flying, whether it be in the cabin or the hold. So it's my personal preference. If the airline offers me the choice of the cabin I'll have my cats in the cabin. Parents get on flights with their young children, if the child is feeling uncomfortable and starts crying, passengers would be wrong to kick off at the parents, it's probably hard enough for the parents as it is.

In the same vein, if the cats are uncomfortable they might whinge for a bit, I'll do everything I can to give them the attention they require and feed them fresh water (neither of which they'd get in the hold), and I'll appreciate the same level of understanding from other passengers, I'm not deliberately creating an uncomfortable situation, I'm handling it. So if anyone has a problem with that, just because it's a cat and not a child, they're being unreasonable and it's their problem, not mine.

If a person doesn't like pets in the cabin, then next time they book a flight, book it way in advance and tell the airline immediately they have a pet allergy, that way the airline will stop any pets from being booked in the cabin.

Just because a person doesn't like animals or have pets, that doesn't mean the rest of us with pets have to cow to their personal preferences, as long as we're following the rules and doing our best in challenging circumstances.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Parents get on flights with their young children
Pets can go in the hold. It is frowned upon to put children in the hold.

Just because a person doesn't like animals or have pets, that doesn't mean the rest of us with pets have to cow to their personal preferences
I bit of smokers logic there eh!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat flew in the hold on Air Canada, with water, he was fine.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

I bit of smokers logic there eh!
Hmmm... not quite, I can assure you my cats aren't anti-social or culturally ostracised, and won't give you lung cancer or kill you

Their judgmental glances on the other hand may sap your sense of self-worth...
Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:42 pm

Certainly not mine and I doubt anyone else!

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 14th 2018 at 3:11 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 2:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... not quite, I can assure you my cats aren't anti-social or culturally ostracised, and won't give you lung cancer or kill you

I am not sure any of the passengers will be paying attention to how your cat is looking at them given they are going to be in their cat carrier on the floor.
I am pretty certain though that they may have a comment or two should they need to use the litter box mid flight...
I love cats, but even I dont care for that.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 3:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Pets can go in the hold. It is frowned upon to put children in the hold.
Air Canada makes provision for the wee bairns in the cabin. I'm not sure which plane she got on, but I did see someone carrying a little dog through the security line.
Attached Thumbnails Making the move to Vancouver-baby-bin.jpeg  

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 14th 2018 at 3:35 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am not sure any of the passengers will be paying attention to how your cat is looking at them given they are going to be in their cat carrier on the floor.
I am pretty certain though that they may have a comment or two should they need to use the litter box mid flight...
I love cats, but even I dont care for that.
We're using disposable dog nappies which line the base of the carrier and can be changed immediately.

I agree with you, I too wouldn't have much leeway for anyone who brought their cats into the cabin and didn't make reasonable advance preparations in consideration of other passengers.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Certainly not mine and I doubt anyone else!
So we're all back to being friends again!
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:14 pm
Happy

We're using disposable dog nappies which line the base of the carrier and can be changed immediately.

I agree with you, I too wouldn't have much leeway for anyone who brought their cats into the cabin and didn't make reasonable advance preparations in consideration of other passengers.
You sound prepared. Good luck in your move.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in North Van. Getting downtown takes one bus or I can go the other way and get a bus then seabus. I usually get the bus. My daughter and the student we have in our basement usually do the seabus. There's other areas with a fairly quick commute like New Westminster, Richmond or Burnaby. Or you can go further afield as plenty do.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

milly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond repute

So apparently I missed the Great Cat Flying Debate of 2018

Anyway, more pertinent questions - how the heck do you decide what to take with you?? We have three tentative categories:
1) To take with us immediately
2) To ship over
3) To keep in storage in the UK

We can each bring two suitcases with us but no idea what to prioritise taking, and whether to try and ship a few boxes with us. For example, it might be good to bring some of our cat 'stuff' that they are familiar with (litter trays, scratchers) and other bits and bobs that we don't necessarily want to wait 2-3 months for. I'm pretty sure just my clothes and a few toiletries could fit into two suitcases!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.