Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making friends

Making friends

Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making friends

I've been here nearly ten years now and I can honestly say, I have no real friends, only acquaintances and hangers on (women - I think it's the accent ). The few people I do knock about socially with are British immigrants like me.

In the UK I had a large circle of very good friends from all over Europe (I worked for a very large multinational company who recruited from all over) and had no problem getting to know people.

But I was younger and more outgoing.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 5:13 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Making friends

(women - I think it's the accent )
I'll be your wingman. I mean friend.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I'll be your wingman. I mean friend.
Well - put it this way. It's not the good looks or the sparkling conversation...

Oh, I see what you did there. Very good.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:32 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I always found Canadians to be incredibly friendly right from the off, but it doesn't seem to go any further than that. You can know someone for several years, but it still feels like the relationship hasn't progressed any further than when you first met.
And what is this idea that your business acquaintances are your buddies??
When the chips come down, its business!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think another issue is that we all live very busy lives. We, as a family, just don't have the time to see all our friends all the time. As a consequence, if anything, we spread ourselves a bit thin by seeing too many friends, but none of them on an in-depth basis. I think this is just a symptom of all of us being wrapped up in our own worlds. The difference with our friends in the UK however, is that we knew them at a time in our lives when none of us had kids, we had money and so the time to devote to each other and forging deeper relationships. Now we're all ferrying offspring hither and thither! Come Saturday night, we're so knackered all we generally want to do is curl up in front of the fire with a bottle of plonk and watch an old Inspector Morse or Midsomer!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:53 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit I don't have many, if any real friends outside of the office. We will on occasion, go for a drink or to, but not that frequently, usually only when someone has a promotion or leaves. I know it's down to me, as I'm somewhat shy, have low self confidence, and also somewhat lazy. Not a great combination of things I know!

I have ventured out, once, with a group of loonies from here and am planning on doing so again soon.

I think a hobby might be required as well, something that isn't sitting in front of a computer or tv screen, and I just need to figure out what.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Oh woow having lived in oakville, i find it quite a bit different. depending on where you reside. i found people who live downtown lakeshore /trafalgar seem to be much aligned with their richness friends and BMW's and have no clue for the simple life or just having a good conversation with the simple man..
i gues what am saying is if you got flaunt it..noo not me ..simple as they come
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

I've been here 7 years and couldn't really call anyone a "close" friend. But to be honest I wasn't the greatest friend maker when I was back in the UK either, my friends there are mostly from childhood, university or my early career.

It's also largely down to the stage of life I'm at. I have two young kids with my Canadian wife, and without much family support we rarely get any time for social activities or hobbies ....so there's no surprise I'm not meeting many people or fostering friendships right now!

A swift Lotto Max win funding plenty of nannies, cleaners and expensive hobbies is my plan to get out of the rut :-)

Last edited by humanist; Apr 23rd 2015 at 3:25 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Humanist i am the opposite of you going to the UK to marry my fiance, been here to long and the friends i have are few and far between, I have a few but quality, also i have more friends in my fiance's family then i do here says a lot. I"ll take it.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist
It's also largely down to the stage of life I'm at. I have two young kids with my Canadian wife, and without much family support we rarely get any time for social activities or hobbies ....so there's no surprise I'm not meeting many people or fostering friendships right now!
That surprises me, as most people seek to think the easiest way to make new friends is through children and i'd agree with them. Some of my closest friends are those I've met via school/playgroup/antenatal classes, we see them regularly and go on holiday with them.

I find it far easier to make friends through my kids than I did before I had them, although I am in the UK so there's plenty of the 'popping in for a cuppa' thing here which I never found in Canada.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:09 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That surprises me, as most people seek to think the easiest way to make new friends is through children and i'd agree with them. Some of my closest friends are those I've met via school/playgroup/antenatal classes, we see them regularly and go on holiday with them.

I find it far easier to make friends through my kids than I did before I had them, although I am in the UK so there's plenty of the 'popping in for a cuppa' thing here which I never found in Canada.
A lot of my cousins have told me this as well, that you meet a load of people through kids programs. When the time comes, we are going to be making sure to register in various programs so that we can meet people in our area.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Yes, that's true, but our kids are only 3 years old and two months old so the kids programs etc. are just kicking in now. Another problem in a transient city like Toronto is that some of the good friends we made though our kids have since moved away.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point

Some great points here on the challenges of making friends in Canada. Some of you fine people suggested joining a club /common interest group - it's a good idea. I joined a Running Club, Yoga & Mac users group. Again, friendly, relaxed atmosphere in all these, but no lasting friendship. A lot of it is ' Hi & Bye'.... you show up - people say Hi, chat, then Bye after the event.

Asked some people after club time to have coffee, grab a drink or such like, but they always 'have things to do...' Ha, thought it was me that was the prob... but I'm social, easygoing, get along with lots of dudes, so it's not a problem mixing.

'Meet Up' group might be the answer? You might know, London UK has loads, including 'Canadian Meet up' group! Could always start one. Just post on the 'Meet up' website. It means you'll get others who've searched for social groups who actually come.

On the whole (as some have said), found it easier to stay in regular touch with fellow Brits & some other nationalities too. Nice international interaction in that sense.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

I wonder how much of this is due to Ottawa weather! In winter we button up - the coat, the car, the house. In summer we spend much more time outside, which results in chatting more with neighbours and dog walkers etc. I work in hi tec in Kanata, and my colleagues are a real mixed bag of home nationalities, most of whom are now Citizens. But outside work I'm not really missing their company. A couple are bikers so we do rides together - but if we didn't have bikes, I doubt we'd mingle. Canadians I meet in a bar, and just shoot the sh*t with seem friendly and chatty enough, but when we go our separate ways - that's it. I do agree that in the UK I had many more "close" friends than I have here.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
I wonder how much of this is due to Ottawa weather! In winter we button up - the coat, the car, the house. In summer we spend much more time outside, which results in chatting more with neighbours and dog walkers etc.
The weather definitely makes for hibernation, I think that such long periods shut inside does something to the psyche...

Yes Maple Moments, the general interest clubs I hope will be good - I brought my Citroen 2CV here, and took her to a car show today, and got lots of interest as she's a bit different here. I'm in the Fredericton Marathon too (only 10k, but part of a group) - Air Cadet Parents v the Kids! Guess which group will win

Whether these overtures bear fruit I have yet to find out, I know scores of people here, but only on the most facile of levels....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.