Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions about Edmonton

Lots of questions about Edmonton

Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of questions about Edmonton

well you have a minimum you can earn before you pay taxes, if you leave before you go over it you can claim any paid tax back, talk to an accountant.
just web search Equifax there or ask your bank about it but make sure your money draft is one of the old established banks.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.equifax.com/about_equifax/en_gb
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shane08
What do you mean by claim taxes?
You send in a form which tells HMRC you've left the country, and they then refund any overpaid tax for the part of the year you've worked. I believe it's a P85? Years since I sent mine in so I may have the number wrong.

Note that they may also send you a self-assessment form to fill in before they refund any, but that's easy enough for most people to fill in without help.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
You send in a form which tells HMRC you've left the country, and they then refund any overpaid tax for the part of the year you've worked. I believe it's a P85? Years since I sent mine in so I may have the number wrong.

Note that they may also send you a self-assessment form to fill in before they refund any, but that's easy enough for most people to fill in without help.
Yes thats it, P85 i couldnt remember it lol
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

make sure you bring your P60 & P45 with you too
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Shane08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much. So to try and put it together:
-Need to find a rental house in the north west ideally with all bills included and furnished
-4x4 with winter tyres is recommended but gunna be expensive, a winter driving course would be a good idea
-An equifax would be a big help, need our p45s, p60s and to sort a p85
-Dogs gunna cost roughly 2k and will need rabies certificates
Old Sep 18th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much. So to try and put it together:
-Need to find a rental house in the north west ideally with all bills included and furnished
-4x4 with winter tyres is recommended but gunna be expensive, a winter driving course would be a good idea
-An equifax would be a big help, need our p45s, p60s and to sort a p85
-Dogs gunna cost roughly 2k and will need rabies certificates
Some car dealers have a "welcome to Canada" deal so ask about that as do mortgage companies ! SUVs arent real expensive just dont rush into it, hire something first, ideally an SUV and see if you like it. I drive a diesel Passat and no issues in winter with it just dont buy rear wheel drive lol
As a trucker ive been out there in winters own hell and an SUV wont make you any safer, they tend to be in the ditches before the sedans/saloons
Advice about your dogs if they are very small toy dogs, eagles here are big enough to take them, had a family i know lost their chiwawa that way, keep them close if you go outside in the countryside if they are toy dogs.
What might also help is details of both your driving history and no claims etc
You have a 3 month wait to get Alberta health coverage so get some private health insurance when you arrive, a friends small boy got an abscess under a tooth after arriving and no insurance meant it cost thousands to get it fixed. poor little bugger was in agony with it.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Shane08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah that's good to know, yeah will look into renting a car aswell then would probably be a good ideal if cheap run around are hard to come by. I currently have real wheel drive ford transit for work and even in out winters they are bloody terrible.

We have a husky and an alsation/husky cross would need to be a fair size eagle with them two haha. What eagles are in Edmonton? Out of interest really my uncle keeps birds of prey

I believe health insurance and dental is part of the employment package from day one but I will double check for definite

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:03 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that's good to know, yeah will look into renting a car aswell then would probably be a good ideal if cheap run around are hard to come by. I currently have real wheel drive ford transit for work and even in out winters they are bloody terrible.

We have a husky and an alsation/husky cross would need to be a fair size eagle with them two haha. What eagles are in Edmonton? Out of interest really my uncle keeps birds of prey

I believe health insurance and dental is part of the employment package from day one but I will double check for definite

Cheers
I believe juggernaut was on about Alberta Healthcare no employee health benefits, 2 different things. I thought you could get AHC straight away now, but im probably incorrect on that. You should bd able to pick up s decent 2nd hand car/suv for less than 5k you'll be looking at around 180k kms to 200kms for that unless you find a deal and if you look for long rnough and hard enough.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
You have a 3 month wait to get Alberta health coverage so get some private health insurance when you arrive, a friends small boy got an abscess under a tooth after arriving and no insurance meant it cost thousands to get it fixed. poor little bugger was in agony with it.
This is nonsense. All immigrants qualify for Alberta Health Coverage from the minute their register as can be seen here: Eligibility for AHC
Old Sep 20th 2014, 5:52 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This is nonsense. All immigrants qualify for Alberta Health Coverage from the minute their register as can be seen here: Eligibility for AHC
Thats what I thought, thanks for clarifying
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OOPS i boo boo'd lol i moved here from MB and had to wait 90 days for AB coverage which shocked the hell out of me lol but i had my company plan as backup. What i didn't know was i should have brought a certificate from MB health so AB health could back charge them for anything.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
OOPS i boo boo'd lol i moved here from MB and had to wait 90 days for AB coverage which shocked the hell out of me lol but i had my company plan as backup. What i didn't know was i should have brought a certificate from MB health so AB health could back charge them for anything.
You used to have to wait three months.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving to Alberta from elsewhere in Canada, you do wait three months. If you are a new arrival from the UK you are eligible from day one, and should simply register as soon as practical.

Moving to Alberta from elsewhere in Canada

If you are moving to Alberta from elsewhere in Canada, you are eligible for AHCIP coverage on the first day of the third month following your date of arrival. You should register within 3 months of arrival. If you apply later, the effective date of your coverage will be determined when you register.

If you are moving within Alberta, please update your information
Moving to Alberta from outside Canada / immigrants

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. You must register within 3 months of arrival. Newcomers to Canada are required to present a copy of their Canada entry document along with their other supporting documents.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I hate UK cities,but I like Edmonton.
If you have driven in snow you don't need to do a winter driving course,and you don't need a 4X4,or winter tyres if you are gonna be driving in the city itself,just need to be careful and drive to the conditions.

Last year I had a 2003 Dodge Caravan with all season's on them,this year I have a 2011 F150 with all seasons(which have very good ratings for snow).

It's other drivers that you need to look out for,lots wait at a junction until you get closer then try drive out in a RWD you can see their faces as you get closer to them and they are sliding out of the junction sideways,they will even go as far as to crash on a straight road in a nice sunny summers day,we passed 3 crashed cars on the highway last summer,long straight road,perfect weather,no other traffic in sight yet they still find something to crash into.

Cell phone plans arent too bad,mines $40/month for unlimited calls/txts 1GB data.
we brought our Border Collie over with us with air transat last year for 160 pounds,worth looking into!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.