Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions about Edmonton

Lots of questions about Edmonton

Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Shane08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lots of questions about Edmonton

So a while ago I was approached by Epcor about a potential job, currently waiting for my second interview so now trying to find out as much about the actual move as I can. I apologize for the amount of questions.

1. We have been debating wether to buy or rent, not really sure whats the best option? Also what are mortgage rates and deposits like. Also need some good ideas for actual place to live (low crime rate, good schools, close to work etc)

2. We also are thinking in terms of transport neither of us has ever driven left hand drive before so we were thinking of having a few lessons and to learn their driving laws. We have also discussed wether a 4x4 is a necessity and is it all american style pickups or would we able to get something kind of freelander sized easily enough?

3. We will be bringing out two huskies, as far as I am aware there is no quarantine just a rabies certificate required? Also any idea of cost to transport them?

4. Could any one give me an idea of monthly outgoing costs? Utilities, internet etc

5. Any finally what is edmonton like, I have heard mixed reviews of the place from what I can see there is a fair bit to do but its hard to judge from the internet.

Ill add more if I think of anything, any help would be appreciated even more so if someone actually works for epcor would like to hear more about what they're like to work for.

Thanks
Shane
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lots of questions about Edmonton

1 rent to see if you like it and to see different areas, and you need a hefty deposit depending what type of visa

2 left hand drive is easy , I would take maybe a winter drive course even though its a lot easier to drive as your car has better wheels

3 I would say about 1500 to 2 grand to take your dogs

4 depends on the area and size of the house, look a kijiji and you could look on bell and telus websites for tv packages

5 lots of britiish ppl in Edmonton I made some great mates , yes its cold and a bit dull , Calgary has the view of the mountains , winter is very long but summers are nice

Everyone will have there points , I moved back to England as I prefer it here
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shane08
We have also discussed wether a 4x4 is a necessity and is it all american style pickups or would we able to get something kind of freelander sized easily enough?
Not essential, but everyone will make fun of you if you drive a Smart Car. And you'll probably be crushed to death if someone hits said Smart Car with their V8 pickup.

And, yeah, pretty much everyone in Alberta seems to have at least one pickup truck. To be fair, there are plenty of times when we could do with one here, just to transport stuff. We just bought a small SUV, which helps, but still doesn't have as much room.

The one thing I would say is to definitely get winter tires. They'll help you stop, whereas 4WD will just help you start.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Also a reply on the car thing. A 4x4 is not necessary but can be desirable in drifts. We live out of town I drive a standard PT Cruiser, OH tends to drive some form of 4x4, DD a Chev Malibu but she has a Explorer this year. last yesr was the 1st where we had winter tyres, yes it took yhat long for OH yo convert from (good snow rated) all seasons. You can get Freelanders and that sized readily enough. Be very prepared to pay far more for a used vehicle than you think and expect high miles on them.

there are some lovely neighbourhoods in Edmonton if you look, I personally prefer Calgary over Edmonton to visit but have no idea on what eithet are like to live in.

I would suggest renting if you can find somewhere yhat will take dogs, its really hard in Red Deer, Edmonton may not be so bad, also look at Sherwood Park and Leduc depending on where you will be working.

Cell phone plans are expensive - they just are.

utilities - summer gas and electric for us are around 50 bucks a month electric in the winter gies to about 130 and gas can go as high as 170 if its super cold but that will only be 1 month. We have a well and septic so can't remember what water bills used to be.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Be very prepared to pay far more for a used vehicle than you think and expect high miles on them.
Yeah, that was one of the big surprises for me. I never bought a new car in the UK, because used ones were so cheap. I've never bought a used car over here, because, if it's anything popular, they're so expensive that you might as well buy new.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Yeah, that was one of the big surprises for me. I never bought a new car in the UK, because used ones were so cheap. I've never bought a used car over here, because, if it's anything popular, they're so expensive that you might as well buy new.
Unless your mechanically minded and know what your looking at then you can pick up some real bargains - we have 30 bargains in our yard Lol. The PT Cruiser I'm in right now we bought from a auction, everyone was told it had no clutch and was not drivable. 60k on the clock like new, less than 2k and we drove it home, much to the astonishment of the other bidders lol So bargains can be had but they are still more money than English bargains
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:42 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

It might snow in September
Old Sep 11th 2014, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

four wheel or all wheel drive isnt as good as most think, they and the pickups are the first to go into the ditches, ive trucked all over canada and the usa and i only got concerned when the sedans/saloons started going off the road, all wheel drive wont stop you sliding off, what it will do is get you back onto the road where as a car wont but with the depth of snow i would say 80% of all wheel drive need a tow when they slip off the road. I have a diesel passat, been here 9 years and only driven front wheel drive and not slid off the road once !
Look on Kijiji Kijiji: Free Classifieds in Canada. Find a job, buy a car, find a house or apartment, furniture, appliances and more! for rentals, i had a basement here in edmonton when i moved here from winnipeg for $1100 per month included all utilities and cable tv the upstairs was $1250 with all the utilities etc. I strongly advise you rent for a year to get to know edmonton & canada then choose an area to buy after that. Stay away from the general eastern side of edmonton on both sides of highway 16 (yellowhead)from 82nd st going east, its cheap for a reason ! i lived not far from that area and wouldnt walk there at night. heres a useful link, Edmonton Police Service - Neighbourhood Crime Map
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

some links:

Search Used cars & trucks - Find second hand vehicles in Alberta

Alberta Truck and Auto - New and Used car dealership in Penticton
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
four wheel or all wheel drive isnt as good as most think, they and the pickups are the first to go into the ditches,
But that's not because 4WD is bad, it's because 4WD owners think they can drive stupidly fast, and probably don't even have winter tires on the four wheels they're driving.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
But that's not because 4WD is bad, it's because 4WD owners think they can drive stupidly fast, and probably don't even have winter tires on the four wheels they're driving.
Absolutely right ! lol
My usual comment when i see them hauling ass in bad weather is (in a stupid voice) Uh i have all wheel drive i don't need to slow down !
usually pass them in the ditch not long after lol
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for all the responses

I found out the company address today it is in the north west of edmonton not far from the west edmonton mall. Have found a couple of places that seem reasonable, fully furnished, pets allowed and include bills which would be a great help. We are definitely going to rent for the first year or two (possibly longer) as you have said it makes sense to learn the area before we settle in one place.

I see what you mean about the used car market, it is very pricey for the mileage I am all up for a big pickup its the wife that wants something smaller. I'm trying to convince her we need a V8 pickup because dodge ram 1500 and ford f150 seem to be the most common second hand car.

Really appreciate all the help guys.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok one thing you MUST bring with you is an Equifax Credit report ! opened lots of doors for me having that with me, banks etc like to see a good credit history !
make sure you claim your taxes before you leave too.
Make sure any bankers drafts are with REAL BANKS not the old building societies that converted to banks or could take 90 days to clear, My Nat West took 3 hours and i could get at my money, Bring a 1000 pound and your rental deposit and first months rent in travelers cheques just to be safe. I know one english couple brought everything in a Halifax draft and they were 90 days with no money !
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

try and rent a furnished place, then buy the whole house furniture from a store when you buy a house, buddy of mine walked into the brick and said "i need to furnish a 5 bedroom house from top to bottom, i don't want to pay any taxes or delivery charges" The brick did exactly that and save him a lot of money on that big sale .
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Ah, never heard of that if I'm honest where do you get one? What do you mean by claim taxes? I work for a big company so everything is registered with the tax office through them. May be worth a trip to my bank to discuss my options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.