Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking into starting a new life in Canada

Looking into starting a new life in Canada

Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking into starting a new life in Canada

Originally Posted by Lychee

If you're the easy-going sort and move to Canada with an open mind ready for new experiences, you could have a very happy family life in Canada.
To me that is one of the biggest keys to a successful story... having an open mind!
Old Feb 9th 2017, 12:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Da
Originally Posted by Howefamily

This is the best post I have seen by far regarding a move to a new country.
It is indeed

I would also caution the OP against long haul work as that would leave his wife at home with the kids maybe finding it hard to make new friends, having adult company, often dealing with all the newness alone.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Da

It is indeed

I would also caution the OP against long haul work as that would leave his wife at home with the kids maybe finding it hard to make new friends, having adult company, often dealing with all the newness alone.
All the trucking jobs here are long haul until you get PR.
They are the only ones with LMIA's available.
Sorry, what I meant to say is there were LMIA's available for city driving/shunting etc. But if you want PR then you have to get so much time in on long haul.

Last edited by neilg14; Feb 9th 2017 at 4:26 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
You sound absolutely lovely and I wish you the best in your future plans. As you stated, this is a big decision.

After reading another thread, it reminded me that one thing many people seem to omit in their plans to move for quality of life purposes, or perhaps not take seriously, is the culture shock and the differences in culture. You are not moving to another place in the UK. You are moving to a different country with different customs and different ways of living life. Do you want a different life? To immerse yourself in a different culture? This is what a move to Canada will bring you.

On the surface, it may be similar to the UK, but the subtleties of the differences do add up. What I mean is that the small things you take for granted in the UK that will be different in Canada. The infrastructure is different. Canada is the size of a continent, with a population half of the UK. It cannot function like a small, densely-populated country like the UK. Services and prices reflect that. The banking systems are different. The way towns/cities/villages are built is different. The options to interact with the wilderness and countryside is different. The perceptions of history and geographical distance is different. The prices and modes of public transportation are different. The seasons - when they start, how long they last - is different. The way people shop for food is different. The food choices available to you are different. The television shows and radio personalities and all the pop culture references you take for granted that you grew up with in the UK will be foreign in Canadians, and what they reflect on nostalgically will be foreign to you. The way people socialize in public and behind closed doors privately is different. Etc. You will need to adapt your UK habits and transition and adjust into new Canadian habits.

Again, these are subtle differences. A move to Canada is not a move to Mongolia, but these subtle cultural differences will exist.

Let's say you arrive in Canada. You secure your dream job. You secure your dream home. Will you and your family be ready to embrace living immersed in a different society that is quite different from UK society? Are you looking for that kind of cultural change? Those expectations must be there before considering a move to Canada in my opinion.

My ramble there is mainly to play devil's advocate, but to also set expectations. Again, I do emphasize, you sound absolutely lovely and I do believe you are going about your research in the right way. If you're the easy-going sort and move to Canada with an open mind ready for new experiences, you could have a very happy family life in Canada.

This should be in the Wiki!!

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Not many trucking companies doing LMIA now due to the change in rules a couple of years ago,companies now need to pay $1000 for each applicant.If you do find one that is still hiring foreign drivers its best to come to Canada and meet them face to face.You are also looking at $75 an hour or more for the driving lessons to add on to your list of costs.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

This should be in the Wiki!!

I agree..... it should be in wiki. As all the points raised here are where so many people emigrating will epically fail.

Many people hold on to their old lives, its no good pining for something you will never get again...move on....embrace something new. Stand in a born and bred Canadian's shoes, aim to see it from their perspective, and enjoy what they enjoy.

Consign your UK experiences to the past, they are just nostalgic memories, other than that they are of no use to you, especially in a new country and will only serve to hinder your attempt to settle and integrate in your new home. Simple as that.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Feb 23rd 2017 at 4:51 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 5:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

Stand in a born and bred Canadian's shoes, aim to see it from their perspective, and enjoy what they enjoy.
I'm sorry but I would vomit.