Reload this Page >

Looking into starting a new life in Canada

Looking into starting a new life in Canada

Old Feb 5th 2017, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

MiguelSawyers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking into starting a new life in Canada

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is MiguelSawyers,

I have been a HGV Class 1 Driver in the UK for over 9 years now, with 6 of those 9 years being in military service. I have got a clean licence and I can drive almost anything.

I grew up in a fine city called Kingston Upon Hull, once a thriving city with numerous docks that dealt in import and export of fish, now a massive heap full of scum and villainy with a high percentage of non-employment, an environment which I do not want my children to grow up in.. speaking of which,

Mr Sawyers junior is 8yrs old, he's a gaming fanatic like myself and highly intelligent.. not like myself fortunately.

Little Miss Sawyers #1 is 3yrs old, she loves Disney's Frozen and literally sings it all day long.. which drives me up the wall but I'm sure she will make a career out of it one day as she has a lovely voice.

Little Miss Sawyers #2 is only 2yrs old and she is just like me, I mean in every single way.. the looks, the attitude.. it's uncanny, she also enjoys singing along with her sister which makes the experience quite hilarious as she is just picking up on words.

Myself and Mrs Sawyers have this idea in our heads that somewhere out there we might find a much better quality of life, a quality of which we certainly do not have here in Britain.

We are both hard working people but as the years go by we seem to be talking more about moving away and starting a new life whilst we are still young.

I like fishhing, black jack and whiskey, I also love fast cars and fiddling about with my own car but they are just my hobbies, my priority are my family and they come first, hence the better quality of life goal!

I want good schools for my children, I'm not too bothered about a huge house, just something that is in a nice area with lovely scenery where I can call home.

Mrs Sawyers wants to work part-time (in between pre-school times) she loves her job as a cleaner and intends to get a full time job again when the kiddies are at school full time.

As for me, I'm a HGV Class 1 Driver with a full ADR certificate (carrying hazardous loads) but unlike most I don't mind driving long distances and staying out.. as long as I know I'm bringing in a decent wage to provide for my family and enjoy the nicesties of life.

The reason I am here is that I would like a few questions answering. My family are really liking the idea of moving far away from the UK but is a trade like mine in demand in Canada?

If it is, what kind of work am I likely to be realistically offered? What sort of money would I need to save to support me and the family when making the transition and what locations in Canada are demanding international driver's like myself? Also, how much would the Canadian Driving Licence to drive the same class vehicles as my UK licence cost, how long would it take to do and would I need any other certification ie a certificate that is similar to an ADR certificate to carry dangerous goods as I'm certain that won't transfer over.

I am aware of the fact you need 2 years experience on Canadian soil, is there any haulage companies that would give me the chance to get my foot in the door?

Any advice would be good really, I guess the best advice I can give myself right now is to come and see Canada with my family before I jump into anything, but before I do I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks for listening anyhow.

Stay safe :-)

Mr Sawyers
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking into starting a new life in Canada

I often drive past places looking for AZ licensed drivers which I think is the HGV license... (in Ontario).
Beyond that I don't know. Other than depending on your age you might be eligible for an IEC visa to get you started?
Old Feb 5th 2017, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I've just been looking into the cost side of things.. can anyone confirm the following is correct and up to date and if I need all of it or certain parts?

Drivers’ Licences for Commercial Vehicles (Class A, B, C, D, E, F, and Z Endorsement)
Commercial licence package

The cost includes a knowledge test and a road test.
$105.00

Knowledge test $15.75

Commercial road test (with or without Z endorsement practical test) $89.25

Five-year licence $90.00

Canadian commercial licence exchanges (for drivers from other Canadian provinces)

The cost reflects a one-year licence.
$18.00

New Entrant Education and Evaluation Program (NEEEP) Proficiency Test

For Commercial Vehicle Operators’ Registration (CVOR).
$32.00

Official MTO Truck Handbook or Official MTO Bus Handbook

Cash only.
$20.00

Commercial licence package for applicants aged 65 – 79

The cost includes a knowledge test and a road test. $29.75

Knowledge test
$15.75

Commercial road test (for applicants aged 65 – 79)
$14.00

Air brake endorsement package (Z endorsement)

The cost includes a knowledge test and a practical test.
$65.75

Knowledge test
$15.75

Air brake endorsement practical test
$50.00

Official MTO Air Brake Handbook (cash only)
$20.00
Old Feb 5th 2017, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Go on the trucking part of this forum and ask the question there.
Basically you don't need 80% of what you mentioned in your second post to drive here.
To get a licence, you need to do a medical, computer (Canadian Hwy code) test, colour test, air brake test, driving lessons & test.
In Alberta it comes to around $2,000ish depending if you pass first time or not.
Pretty sure the prices are much the same, give or take in all of the provinces.
Like I said before, have a look on the trucking part of forum and there's plenty to read on companies, what the job's like etc.
Somebody else will come on here and explain what you need to do to get a Temporary Work Permit, far better than I can explain it.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about trucking, but just wanted to say what a nice and interesting first post and a VERY big welcome to British Expats.

I know we all wish you the very best of luck in your plans to relocate you and yours to Canada.

As previously stated there is a trucking forum on the site, and I do know a number of people have come here as professional truckers, so I am sure they will be along shortly to help
Old Feb 5th 2017, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
I know nothing about trucking, but just wanted to say what a nice and interesting first post and a VERY big welcome to British Expats.

I know we all wish you the very best of luck in your plans to relocate you and yours to Canada.

As previously stated there is a trucking forum on the site, and I do know a number of people have come here as professional truckers, so I am sure they will be along shortly to help
If you could direct anyone you know to this thread that would be most appreciated I'm currently looking through the Trucker forum now, seems as though an LMIA was a rather helpful way of gaining entry into Canada on a Temp Work Visa if I'm not mistaken although I cannot find out if the LMIA is still in use by haulage companies
Old Feb 5th 2017, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiguelSawyers
If you could direct anyone you know to this thread that would be most appreciated I'm currently looking through the Trucker forum now, seems as though an LMIA was a rather helpful way of gaining entry into Canada on a Temp Work Visa if I'm not mistaken although I cannot find out if the LMIA is still in use by haulage companies
There's no other way to get a 'normal' TWP, a LMIA is essential. But you're correct that very few companies are sponsoring LMIA's these days unfortunately.

The best thing to do is to ask in the truckers forum, as they'll all know of any companies that are offering LMIA's.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If it is, what kind of work am I likely to be realistically offered? What sort of money would I need to save to support me and the family when making the transition
This thread might help - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

I am aware of the fact you need 2 years experience on Canadian soil, is there any haulage companies that would give me the chance to get my foot in the door?
2 years experience for what? You don't need to work for 2 years before being able to apply for PR if that's what you're thinking? You can apply much sooner than that (even before you go - depending on the province you're moving to).

HTH.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 10:38 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome. Fun first post and I wish you lots of luck.

While looking through the truckers forum maybe also check out Armour (see them all the time on the the road) and Midland. Midland are based in NB and are also pretty big. I don't know of the best options but I do know of someone working for Midland who is pretty happy although his route is NS down to the Carolinas which doesnt sound like its for you. His is the only income and they live in a rural subdivision in NS in a lovely house on a lake, pretty happily with their two kids.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Mrs Sawyers wants to work part-time (in between pre-school times) she loves her job as a cleaner and intends to get a full time job again when the kiddies are at school full time.
One thing I've realised I forgot to mention yesterday, just in case you're not aware, is that as a truck driver your job isn't classed as skilled, meaning your spouse can't get a Spousal Open Work Permit. So for her to work to start with, she'd need her own sponsoring employer and LMIA. Once you've got PNP/PR, she could then work though.

HTH.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:42 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is MiguelSawyers,

I have been a HGV Class 1 Driver in the UK for over 9 years now, with 6 of those 9 years being in military service. I have got a clean licence and I can drive almost anything.

I grew up in a fine city called Kingston Upon Hull, once a thriving city with numerous docks that dealt in import and export of fish, now a massive heap full of scum and villainy with a high percentage of non-employment, an environment which I do not want my children to grow up in.. speaking of which,

Mr Sawyers junior is 8yrs old, he's a gaming fanatic like myself and highly intelligent.. not like myself fortunately.

Little Miss Sawyers #1 is 3yrs old, she loves Disney's Frozen and literally sings it all day long.. which drives me up the wall but I'm sure she will make a career out of it one day as she has a lovely voice.

Little Miss Sawyers #2 is only 2yrs old and she is just like me, I mean in every single way.. the looks, the attitude.. it's uncanny, she also enjoys singing along with her sister which makes the experience quite hilarious as she is just picking up on words.

Myself and Mrs Sawyers have this idea in our heads that somewhere out there we might find a much better quality of life, a quality of which we certainly do not have here in Britain.

We are both hard working people but as the years go by we seem to be talking more about moving away and starting a new life whilst we are still young.

I like fishhing, black jack and whiskey, I also love fast cars and fiddling about with my own car but they are just my hobbies, my priority are my family and they come first, hence the better quality of life goal!

I want good schools for my children, I'm not too bothered about a huge house, just something that is in a nice area with lovely scenery where I can call home.

As for me, I'm a HGV Class 1 Driver with a full ADR certificate (carrying hazardous loads) but unlike most I don't mind driving long distances and staying out.. as long as I know I'm bringing in a decent wage to provide for my family and enjoy the nicesties of life.

The reason I am here is that I would like a few questions answering. My family are really liking the idea of moving far away from the UK but is a trade like mine in demand in Canada?

If it is, what kind of work am I likely to be realistically offered? What sort of money would I need to save to support me and the family when making the transition and what locations in Canada are demanding international driver's like myself? Also, how much would the Canadian Driving Licence to drive the same class vehicles as my UK licence cost, how long would it take to do and would I need any other certification ie a certificate that is similar to an ADR certificate to carry dangerous goods as I'm certain that won't transfer over.

Any advice would be good really, I guess the best advice I can give myself right now is to come and see Canada with my family before I jump into anything, but before I do I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks for listening anyhow.

Stay safe :-)

Mr Sawyers
I think it depends what you desire with regards to a much better quality of life? and are you sure that you couldn't achieve it in Britain by moving elsewhere in the UK?
Emigration can and will put a huge strain on your relationship both with your wife and children and other family members.
Im not trying to rain on your parade im just looking at the downside... its such a huge undertaking that can sometimes end in heartache.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 9:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It would help a bit if you told us what sort of fishing you like to do. Welcome to the forum, and good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

You sound absolutely lovely and I wish you the best in your future plans. As you stated, this is a big decision.

After reading another thread, it reminded me that one thing many people seem to omit in their plans to move for quality of life purposes, or perhaps not take seriously, is the culture shock and the differences in culture. You are not moving to another place in the UK. You are moving to a different country with different customs and different ways of living life. Do you want a different life? To immerse yourself in a different culture? This is what a move to Canada will bring you.

On the surface, it may be similar to the UK, but the subtleties of the differences do add up. What I mean is that the small things you take for granted in the UK that will be different in Canada. The infrastructure is different. Canada is the size of a continent, with a population half of the UK. It cannot function like a small, densely-populated country like the UK. Services and prices reflect that. The banking systems are different. The way towns/cities/villages are built is different. The options to interact with the wilderness and countryside is different. The perceptions of history and geographical distance is different. The prices and modes of public transportation are different. The seasons - when they start, how long they last - is different. The way people shop for food is different. The food choices available to you are different. The television shows and radio personalities and all the pop culture references you take for granted that you grew up with in the UK will be foreign in Canadians, and what they reflect on nostalgically will be foreign to you. The way people socialize in public and behind closed doors privately is different. Etc. You will need to adapt your UK habits and transition and adjust into new Canadian habits.

Again, these are subtle differences. A move to Canada is not a move to Mongolia, but these subtle cultural differences will exist.

Let's say you arrive in Canada. You secure your dream job. You secure your dream home. Will you and your family be ready to embrace living immersed in a different society that is quite different from UK society? Are you looking for that kind of cultural change? Those expectations must be there before considering a move to Canada in my opinion.

My ramble there is mainly to play devil's advocate, but to also set expectations. Again, I do emphasize, you sound absolutely lovely and I do believe you are going about your research in the right way. If you're the easy-going sort and move to Canada with an open mind ready for new experiences, you could have a very happy family life in Canada.

Last edited by Lychee; Feb 8th 2017 at 7:00 am.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:40 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mr Sawyers - love your introduction!
I'm afraid I know nothing about HGVs so can't help but just wanted to sympathise.
Myself and DrScotInCanada have been having the same discussions and are hoping Canada will be a place that will provide us with a better quality of life. People we know who have made the move are in a much better position than they were in the U.K. and all indications point to it being a better life for us.
It's a daunting thought though. The Canadian culture really interests and appeals to me but culture shock is a real thing. I've lived a short time in various countries but never a permanent move like this would potentially be.
If you can get a decent paying job then I would say go for it - always better to regret something you did rather than something you didn't do, as they say!
The key is the job - certainly for us. No point in uprooting if we're going to struggle - once that's fixed then we're on it! I wish you all the best
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
You sound absolutely lovely and I wish you the best in your future plans. As you stated, this is a big decision.

After reading another thread, it reminded me that one thing many people seem to omit in their plans to move for quality of life purposes, or perhaps not take seriously, is the culture shock and the differences in culture. You are not moving to another place in the UK. You are moving to a different country with different customs and different ways of living life. Do you want a different life? To immerse yourself in a different culture? This is what a move to Canada will bring you.

On the surface, it may be similar to the UK, but the subtleties of the differences do add up. What I mean is that the small things you take for granted in the UK that will be different in Canada. The infrastructure is different. Canada is the size of a continent, with a population half of the UK. It cannot function like a small, densely-populated country like the UK. Services and prices reflect that. The banking systems are different. The way towns/cities/villages are built is different. The options to interact with the wilderness and countryside is different. The perceptions of history and geographical distance is different. The prices and modes of public transportation are different. The seasons - when they start, how long they last - is different. The way people shop for food is different. The food choices available to you are different. The television shows and radio personalities and all the pop culture references you take for granted that you grew up with in the UK will be foreign in Canadians, and what they reflect on nostalgically will be foreign to you. The way people socialize in public and behind closed doors privately is different. Etc. You will need to adapt your UK habits and transition and adjust into new Canadian habits.

Again, these are subtle differences. A move to Canada is not a move to Mongolia, but these subtle cultural differences will exist.

Let's say you arrive in Canada. You secure your dream job. You secure your dream home. Will you and your family be ready to embrace living immersed in a different society that is quite different from UK society? Are you looking for that kind of cultural change? Those expectations must be there before considering a move to Canada in my opinion.

My ramble there is mainly to play devil's advocate, but to also set expectations. Again, I do emphasize, you sound absolutely lovely and I do believe you are going about your research in the right way. If you're the easy-going sort and move to Canada with an open mind ready for new experiences, you could have a very happy family life in Canada.

This is the best post I have seen by far regarding a move to a new country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.