Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for Accounting work in Calgary

Looking for Accounting work in Calgary

Old Jan 16th 2018, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for Accounting work in Calgary

Hi All,
I recently landed as PR from UK. I am a fully qualified accountant (ACCA). I have also concluded my CPA membership process. I have been applying for jobs ever since but not a single interview. I have been to three immigrant serving organisations to help with my resume yet no luck. I have also networked and contacted a few agencies yet it seems like am missing someting in my job search strategy.My experience is mostly with UK financial services (Lloyds, Rbs etc) as an accountant.
Please any advice on how I can go about getting a job. Or better still if anyone is hiring am more than happy to discuss.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Accounting work in Calgary

Originally Posted by Instantpot
Hi All,
I recently landed as PR from UK. I am a fully qualified accountant (ACCA). I have also concluded my CPA membership process. I have been applying for jobs ever since but not a single interview. I have been to three immigrant serving organisations to help with my resume yet no luck. I have also networked and contacted a few agencies yet it seems like am missing someting in my job search strategy.My experience is mostly with UK financial services (Lloyds, Rbs etc) as an accountant.
Please any advice on how I can go about getting a job. Or better still if anyone is hiring am more than happy to discuss.
Hello and welcome to BE!

Congratulations on becoming a PR and moving to Canada, now the adventure (and stress) begins.. it's a scary and sometimes frustrating thing, trying to find employment.

Have you considered networking on LinkedIn with people in the banking industry? Do any of your former colleagues have contacts in Canada?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 16th 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Accounting has such a vast spectrum of skills and you will almost certainly have to apply for your skill set. Calgary has a large array of accounting jobs currently available but the differences between upstream oil and gas and charitable work or tax advisor are like chalk and cheese.

Make sure you network within CPA or ACCA, CIMA, i know CIMA have monthly meetings here in Calgary, also register with Robert Half, they are the biggest accountant recruiters, you may have to take a lessor paid job than you would want, but I moved twice in 6 months for better paid jobs, it is the normal here.

CPA website has loads of jobs advertised, with CPA you're options will increase substantially, congratulations in getting that, it is a major hurdle overcome.

The city has 180 CPA's, though currently not hiring, it is worth keeping an eye on their site.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Jan 17th 2018 at 12:56 am.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:08 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Would freelancing be an idea that you would consider at all? Reason I am asking is that lots of incorporated contractors who lost work in Alberta due to downturn that are now working elsewhere in Canada or USA while their corporate taxes are still filed in Alberta. There's a lots of small start ups popping too in the province on the tech side. So I am there is a good market for accountancy services there.

Unfortunately there is a shortage of good accountants with professional attitude (personal experience) in Calgary and Edmonton so if you try to get some of that market share by starting with reasonable fees and good value for money then no doubt you will expand your clientele with time (word of mouth, networking etc really help). You just have to get yourself abreast with the province's tax regime and learn tricks to save your clients money.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Would freelancing be an idea that you would consider at all? Reason I am asking is that lots of incorporated contractors who lost work in Alberta due to downturn that are now working elsewhere in Canada or USA while their corporate taxes are still filed in Alberta. There's a lots of small start ups popping too in the province on the tech side. So I am there is a good market for accountancy services there.

Unfortunately there is a shortage of good accountants with professional attitude (personal experience) in Calgary and Edmonton so if you try to get some of that market share by starting with reasonable fees and good value for money then no doubt you will expand your clientele with time (word of mouth, networking etc really help). You just have to get yourself abreast with the province's tax regime and learn tricks to save your clients money.
To get his CPA, he would have completed a tax and law course specific to Canada, provincially, you would do some CPD. I doubt this guy is coming back to the site in a hurry, one post. It took me almost 6 months to get my CPA, you have to jump through hoops, prove your degree equivalency, prove everything including min 3 years of experience.......then you wait.