Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location Advise Near Toronto

Location Advise Near Toronto

Old Nov 18th 2016, 3:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location Advise Near Toronto

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
This is about 30 minutes NW of Toronto airport....
Sorry, couldn't find a cricket pitch anywhere...
Well the first is a bit more like it, albeit more like spot between two villages and the second looks more like a market town.

The others are a bit High Street(ish) and not unlike how I think of the Downtown (Main st) here.

For Canada, I don't recall much coming up in the Quaint thread, village-wise, although I do recall something about a pub and phone box somewhere.

My vision of village is probably just British skewed.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, couldn't find a cricket pitch anywhere.
A short stroll from Downtown Vancouver ...

Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Which one's Oink or was he out fishing that day?
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

http://images.getjealous.com/media/v...e25/271213.JPG
There's lots of urban cricket here too and several places that might count as villages, Erin, Hillsboro, Inglewood, for example, but at the moment there's no village cricket. There's a plan to have cricket somewhere near Erin but in a cricket specific 35,000 seat stadium so probably not what Bristol has in mind.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Georgetown isn't bad either, though since they started building new estates there it's not as nice as it was. There is a 'village' feel to the old part of town and there's a really good cheese shop - reason enough to move there, lol.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 18th 2016 at 6:06 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 5:06 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelling wilbury
Hello I am currently in the process of relocating to Canada.

I have a full time job in place which shall be based in Vaughan although will involve lots of travelling, so easy access to the Airport is required.

I am married with 2 children, boys aged 8 and 5. We will be renting for the short to medium term so no plans to buy.

The question is where to live!! We are leaning towards Aurora/Newmarket area as the commute was OK and school reports for the most part seem good.

Looking for any advise, guidance or just general places to avoid. Will be back over early next year to do a final visit and make a decision on location so all advise welcome!!

Many Thanks

TW
Good instincts, Aurora is brilliant- the Oakville of the North! We have two boys a similar age and moved from downtown over two years ago. It's quite an affluent town but there is still good value to be found in the older suburbs, certainly much better than closer to the city.

Schools are all good, almost without exception, and there are many leisure centers and tons of stuff for kids to do. Happy to answer any other questions you have via IM.

I would personally steer clear of Newmarket and if you are travelling out to the airport Aurora is probably about as far North as you would want to go. Without traffic it's a 35 minute run but during rush-hour would be a lot longer.

In terms of getting into the City, outside of rush hour its a breeze. We have a family pass to the Museum and can get downtown in 40 minutes on the weekend.

Aurora is often over-looked as many feel it is a lot further away than it really is although we are already seeing signs that is changing, however this is likely a function of the crazy house prices along the East/West corridor.

Rgds,

Mayor of Aurora.

Ps- i'm not really the Mayor....
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:11 am
Just Joined

travelling wilbury is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geo4
Good instincts, Aurora is brilliant- the Oakville of the North! We have two boys a similar age and moved from downtown over two years ago. It's quite an affluent town but there is still good value to be found in the older suburbs, certainly much better than closer to the city.

Schools are all good, almost without exception, and there are many leisure centers and tons of stuff for kids to do. Happy to answer any other questions you have via IM.

I would personally steer clear of Newmarket and if you are travelling out to the airport Aurora is probably about as far North as you would want to go. Without traffic it's a 35 minute run but during rush-hour would be a lot longer.

In terms of getting into the City, outside of rush hour its a breeze. We have a family pass to the Museum and can get downtown in 40 minutes on the weekend.

Aurora is often over-looked as many feel it is a lot further away than it really is although we are already seeing signs that is changing, however this is likely a function of the crazy house prices along the East/West corridor.

Rgds,

Mayor of Aurora.

Ps- i'm not really the Mayor....
Thanks Geo,

Very useful info, maybe you should run for Mayor!!

Will IM you any further questions

TW
Old Nov 25th 2016, 4:29 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

@Geo4 Detached Houses near us in south Ajax are selling within a week and priced above 500,000 now.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:19 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well the first is a bit more like it, albeit more like spot between two villages and the second looks more like a market town.

The others are a bit High Street(ish) and not unlike how I think of the Downtown (Main st) here.

For Canada, I don't recall much coming up in the Quaint thread, village-wise, although I do recall something about a pub and phone box somewhere.

My vision of village is probably just British skewed.
One of those was Cobourg
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:11 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
One of those was Cobourg
And Port Hope too. Those were the ones I thought High Street-ish a bit like our Main St only with shops, so an improvement on ours.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

And Port Hope too. Those were the ones I thought High Street-ish a bit like our Main St only with shops, so an improvement on ours.
And both of them have 'british food' shops in the Main Street area. Cobourg has quite a high proportion of young seniors who have left the GTA and want to live in a small town atmosphere. Both towns tend to be out of major snowbelts.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 6:02 pm
Oscar nominated

And both of them have 'british food' shops in the Main Street area.
Some Cumberland Sausages would be nice. And Steak and Kidney pie/pudding.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:49 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

And both of them have 'british food' shops in the Main Street area. Cobourg has quite a high proportion of young seniors who have left the GTA and want to live in a small town atmosphere. Both towns tend to be out of major snowbelts.
Port Hope's is closed and one of Cobourg's is too. Plus another two sources of baked beans in or near Cobourg. I use the British shop in Peterborough.

Anyway, I reckon both towns will have house price rises soon as the GTA gets closer. Bristol, you might have to move to Brighton instead.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Port Hope's is closed and one of Cobourg's is too. Plus another two sources of baked beans in or near Cobourg. I use the British shop in Peterborough.

Anyway, I reckon both towns will have house price rises soon as the GTA gets closer. Bristol, you might have to move to Brighton instead.
My folks live in Cobourg but the 'british food' shop isn't too close to them and IIRC it was kind of twee. I think there is also a similar shop in Bowmanville on the edge of the high street.

Brighton is a nice place and may not have the cache and therefore higher prices of the nearby 'county'.

Kingston is a bit more to my liking as it is a bit of bigger place and has many spinoffs due to the university.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:57 pm
Oscar nominated

I think prices have gone up since I first started gazing that way.

I can't see the train stops at Brighton.

Brighton is a nice place and may not have the cache and therefore higher prices of the nearby 'county'.

Kingston is a bit more to my liking as it is a bit of bigger place and has many spinoffs due to the university.
Train fare looks quite a bit more in $$ and time.