Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location Advise Near Toronto

Location Advise Near Toronto

Old Nov 10th 2016, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

travelling wilbury is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Location Advise Near Toronto

Hello I am currently in the process of relocating to Canada.

I have a full time job in place which shall be based in Vaughan although will involve lots of travelling, so easy access to the Airport is required.

I am married with 2 children, boys aged 8 and 5. We will be renting for the short to medium term so no plans to buy.

The question is where to live!! We are leaning towards Aurora/Newmarket area as the commute was OK and school reports for the most part seem good.

Looking for any advise, guidance or just general places to avoid. Will be back over early next year to do a final visit and make a decision on location so all advise welcome!!

Many Thanks

TW
Old Nov 10th 2016, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location Advise Near Toronto

Hi and welcome to BE. I live West of Toronto on the lake so I don't have in depth knowledge of the area you are looking. I have spent a few weekends in Newmarket and I think that if I was working in Vaughan the area you have indicated would be my first choice. Decent amenities in the towns, small town feel, lots of space around. General advice, as the school your children will go to is determined by where you live, it may be worth visiting a few on your next trip to be sure you end up in one that you like. Hwy 400 can be a pain in rush hour, especially on a Friday evening the Summer, however all routes in the Toronto area are a nightmare in the rush hour.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Hi and welcome to BE. I live West of Toronto on the lake so I don't have in depth knowledge of the area you are looking. I have spent a few weekends in Newmarket and I think that if I was working in Vaughan the area you have indicated would be my first choice. Decent amenities in the towns, small town feel, lots of space around. General advice, as the school your children will go to is determined by where you live, it may be worth visiting a few on your next trip to be sure you end up in one that you like. Hwy 400 can be a pain in rush hour, especially on a Friday evening the Summer, however all routes in the Toronto area are a nightmare in the rush hour.
Thanks HG for the info. Yes heard about Hwy 400 on a Friday in the Summer!!!
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you use the 400? Just go south on Yong St and then west wherever u need to to get to your location.

Last edited by magnumpi; Nov 12th 2016 at 2:45 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Why would you use the 400? Just go south on Yong St and then west wherever u need to to get to your location.

You can't be serious, i lived young and steals...talk about rush..look at the movie rush hour then yu will know what i am talking about.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goins
You can't be serious, i lived young and steals...talk about rush..look at the movie rush hour then yu will know what i am talking about.
If you lived at Yonge and Steeles why can't you spell them properly?
Old Nov 15th 2016, 11:48 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goins
Use another road south then? It don't drive west to get stuck on the 400 south
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:00 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelling wilbury
Hello I am currently in the process of relocating to Canada.

I have a full time job in place which shall be based in Vaughan although will involve lots of travelling, so easy access to the Airport is required.

I am married with 2 children, boys aged 8 and 5. We will be renting for the short to medium term so no plans to buy.

The question is where to live!! We are leaning towards Aurora/Newmarket area as the commute was OK and school reports for the most part seem good.

Looking for any advise, guidance or just general places to avoid. Will be back over early next year to do a final visit and make a decision on location so all advise welcome!!

Many Thanks

TW
Even Vaughan isn't too bad. They're all much of a muchness. I think Aurora is a bit more upmarket and Newmarket is starting to build up now.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It depends a lot on budget too. There are still some nice villages around but they're extremely pricey. If I could afford it I would live in Kleinburg but that's unlikely to ever happen.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Even Vaughan isn't too bad. They're all much of a muchness. I think Aurora is a bit more upmarket and Newmarket is starting to build up now.
I agree. I see no advantage in Aurora or Newmarket over say Bolton or Maple for access to the workplace and YYZ. They're all basically knock offs of each other (same soulless housing, same box stores, same people) but Vaughan is not in the lake snow belt.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I agree. I see no advantage in Aurora or Newmarket over say Bolton or Maple for access to the workplace and YYZ. They're all basically knock offs of each other (same soulless housing, same box stores, same people) but Vaughan is not in the lake snow belt.
Thanks Novo, I'm guessing your not a fan of either these places, maybe you would be able to suggest some alternative places?

Last edited by travelling wilbury; Nov 18th 2016 at 8:32 am.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelling wilbury
Thanks Novo, I'm guessing your not a fan of either these places, maybe you would be able to suggest some alternatives places?
I have nothing against Maple or Bolton for your situation. My point was that you'd gain nothing except more snow and a longer commute by considering Aurora or Newmarket.

I hate to be predictable, but I lived in the Mill Pond area of Richmond Hill while commuting to the southern edge of Vaughan (Keele & Steeles) for 22 years. Even that could be a painful commute some of the time.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I live just south of Bolton right now. We basically shop and use the facilities of Bolton and when we buy a house it will be in Bolton.
As I've mentioned before, just be very careful of where you rent/buy as some areas are crazy expensive for insurance...one of them being the whole of the L6 postal code area.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
There are still some nice villages around but they're extremely pricey.
I have great difficulty with the concept of villages in Canada.

The pub, the church, post office, ducks on the pond, cricket on the village green...

Old Nov 18th 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have great difficulty with the concept of villages in Canada.

The pub, the church, post office, ducks on the pond, cricket on the village green...
This is about 30 minutes NW of Toronto airport

https://goo.gl/maps/AaRSsTFrL3z

https://goo.gl/maps/up3c97UL6r92 (this is about 1 hour NW of Toronto)

https://goo.gl/maps/94X8iX9jFxy (an hour east of Toronto)

https://goo.gl/maps/8k8hxWxvtzK2 (just a little further east of Toronto)

Sorry, couldn't find a cricket pitch anywhere.

Not all of urban Canada is this:

https://goo.gl/maps/iZZbGn6GHTm (just the vast majority)

Urban Canada totally fell under the spell of the private automobile, especially post WW 2 and much of the soul sucking urban environment is as a result of the auto dominated world that ensued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.