Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:44 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by Madmac
As you say, it's as equally true of the UK too. It may be one of the factors over here that convinces us to go back 'over there' where we would at least not be labelled as job stealers.

I now appreciate more fully how some of my foreign students were treated when they tried to get jobs in Scotland and were met with the ignorant, xenophobic and jingoistic attitudes of some of my fellow countrymen. It makes me sad and slightly angry to even think about it.
That is one of the few basic life lessons most (if not all) immigrants realise once they have left the comfort of 'home' and can also contribute to the 'homesickness' factor of not wanting to stick out like a sore thumb anymore.... well for me alteast *lol*

Spent most of my life as an 'immigrant' growing up from one country to the next, Canada was my longest stop (16 years) and just when I'd come to the point of being able to 'blend in' as local, I go and fall in love with a British bloke and move here... go figure!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
Just had a brief read thro' the thread.
All canadians, if they go back a few generations or more are immigrants also.
Unless they are 'first nations', these are the only ones who can complain about immigrants taking jobs ( and land ).
cheers
Jerry
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Daedra
Jempee!! *shock* *horror* :scared:
oops sorry was that not allowed
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:46 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi All
Just had a brief read thro' the thread.
All canadians, if they go back a few generations or more are immigrants also.
Unless they are 'first nations', these are the only ones who can complain about immigrants taking jobs ( and land ).
cheers
Jerry
As my born & bred Norvern British partner found out by my quick geneological research into his (assumed NW) heritage last year, its surprising how many Welsh & Irish cross bred with his ancestors! It applies to any nationality except the most secular/reserved... why I feel racism is a bit of a bite in our own arses for the most part.