Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Live and Move to Canada

Live and Move to Canada

Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Black Widow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live and Move to Canada

I would love some help from anyone who has gone through this process. I want to move to Canada and work in the Child care field. I have a qualified Level 3 NVQ in Children's Care Learning and Development.

What steps do I need to do for work either in a daycare setting or similar or as a live in caregiver.

How much roughly did you spent to go over? Just so I have an idea. I won't need to ship as I don't have anything.

Any help would be appreciative.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 9:16 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live and Move to Canada

I can't say with your child care field but in regards to the NVQ - people will say they are not recognized on here and that you need Canadian qualifications.

However from someone with a level 3 in children and young peoples workforce (NVQ) I've had one job offer and interviews for 3 other roles (2 are for the same organization and one of which I have been informed I have got if I don't get the other one).

From my own personal experience it's not just about qualifications, the experience helps a lot!

Make sure you have a copy of your UK police check and that your first aid is up to date (you may have to redo this but I can't comment yet as none of the organizations I have applied to have given me clear guidance). Expect things to take time as criminal check, references and checking qualifications does add on.

I can't comment on the visa options
Old Oct 11th 2014, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Well I have been working since 13 in Childcare in different settings...from newborn too. Did you convert your NVQ then ?

I will have to sort police check and first aid but i'm in Belgium so may be difficult trying to find somewhere where they do it in english..

Looking in the Toronto Area
Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Widow
How much roughly did you spent to go over? Just so I have an idea. I won't need to ship as I don't have anything.
This thread might help - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/ lots of figures in there.

Welcome to BE, good luck with finding a job offer - there's a great section of the Wiki for job hunting tips.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 12:43 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Child care and young educators is on the list of jobs in demand. NOC 4214
Old Oct 11th 2014, 5:53 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have been working since 13 in Childcare in different settings...from newborn too. Did you convert your NVQ then ?

I will have to sort police check and first aid but i'm in Belgium so may be difficult trying to find somewhere where they do it in english..

Ontario might be different for what they require. I'm in British Columbia.

No didn't convert it as I don't think they can convert vocational qualifications.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 5:53 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Child care and young educators is on the list of jobs in demand. NOC 4214

Wish NOC 4212 was in demand
Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I know somebody who came over on an LMO who is in childcare in NS... also if you're in Belgium surely they would be able to issue you a certificate in French so there would be no need to translate it then?...
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

My certificate is english...I was looking for first aid in english but no hope yet..May wait til i get to Canada...

My progress I may have a potential family for live in in Montreal, Quebec... So documents would change right or similar???