Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving Vancouver Anxiety,

Leaving Vancouver Anxiety,

Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Vancouver Anxiety,

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What exactly was the point of this post?

Because you yourself posted .......

Of course none of the terribly proper posters in the Canada forum know any of the xenophobes, but they certainly exist.
and, of course, not many of the members on here appear to be "terribly proper".

But do you not agree that Brits have always been xenophobic and racist ......... it is not a new phenomenon!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
But do you not agree that Brits have always been xenophobic and racist ......... it is not a new phenomenon!
Where did anyone say it was a new phenomenon? The Leave campaign went out to newly legitimise it though.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KatrinaM79
I thought I would chip in as I went through a similar thought process last year. I moved back from Vancouver to the UK in October 2016 after being there for 3 years. I am so glad I moved back. I miss Vancouver a lot but with the generous UK holidays and with less expenses I can afford to visit Vancouver whereas I couldn't really do that the other way around. I'm loving being back closer to family and old friends and whilst I love Vancouver for its natural beauty and great standard of living I did find it quite boring at times and expensive. I don't have children though and I only had me to think about.

Whilst it might look like there are a lot of problems in the UK and Europe right now (Brexit, Tories, terrorism) what I have witnessed is solidarity in communities and an upsurge in young people caring about this country and its place in the world. The recent election results show that there is still hope for a softer brexit and a more humanitarian outlook in government. It's not all doom and gloom!

If you do decide to move, the best way I found to overcome the anxiety was to focus on things I was excited about like the TV I missed, the food I missed, seeing extended family. Oh and I just booked at short holiday to Portugal for less than it would cost me to go to Whistler
Thanks for the really positive post. Got to hope all this doom and gloom, is just a prelude to something better.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Shard
With luck we're heading for a softer Brexit now, so that may allay some of your return apprehensions. House prices are said to be softening (Brexit uncertainty related) but rising inflation will probably keep the nominal values steady. The big difference between housing affordability in Metro Vancouver and London is the availability of well paid jobs.
Hope you're right about Brexit. Things are definitely looking a bit more positive politically, but still a long way to go. All bets would appear to be off given the lunacy of the last twelve months.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's about right. However the OP has been abused for stating that without xenophobic, borderline racist voters, the referendum result would have been different. That's also right: Certainly at the very least 2% of the leave voters fitted the OP's description (more like 10% IMHO).

Of course none of the terribly proper posters in the Canada forum know any of the xenophobes, but they certainly exist.
Thanks, I wasn't intending to get into Brexit and perhaps I could have worded my thoughts a bit more succinctly. Thankfully you did it for me.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
Brexit will be much softer or killed completely.

We're actually unlikely to see much forward movement with such a weak government.

If the Grenfell disaster had happened a week earlier the Conservatives would have completely tumbled.

Anyway I'll stop the thread drift. Edinburgh sounds marvellous!
Cheers mate. Looking forward to Edinburgh, despite the mixed emotions about leaving BC.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Thanks for the really positive post. Got to hope all this doom and gloom, is just a prelude to something better.
If nothing else, Britain remains an interesting and vibrant place. Switched on is the best way to describe it. Whether it's politics or business or art, music, media, there's always a lot going on in the national psyche. And, occasionally, we even get some proper summer weather!
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

If nothing else, Britain remains an interesting and vibrant place. Switched on is the best way to describe it. Whether it's politics or business or art, music, media, there's always a lot going on in the national psyche. And, occasionally, we even get some proper summer weather!
Totally agree, I miss the energy of London. Summer weather...come off it though...two weeks in March or September isn't it?
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 10:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Totally agree, I miss the energy of London. Summer weather...come off it though...two weeks in March or September isn't it?
Not sure if you've been following weather this week, but we've had a genuine heatwave of +30 for almost a week. Even 34 yesterday! BTW I moved back to the UK after a few years in Vancouver for the same reason...it's a nice city, but the scenery gets familiar very quickly, and I found it fairly landlocked (jammed between the Rockies and the Pacific) IYKWIM.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:12 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I'll agree also. London was a lot more interesting and the job market was better.