Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving the U.S. on UI

Leaving the U.S. on UI

Old Jun 18th 2001, 11:09 am
grl
Just Joined

grl is an unknown quantity at this point

My boyfriend would like to come visit me in Canada within the next month, and he is currently on Unemployment Insurance. I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if it is fine to leave his country to come visit me for 3 weeks? (He is from USA)
Old Jun 19th 2001, 10:58 pm
grl
Just Joined

grl is an unknown quantity at this point

will somebody answer my question please? if you know anything about this.. it would be greatly appreciated..

thanks.
Old Jun 19th 2001, 11:21 pm
Heather

Maybe you should direct this to the USA & probably the state he has his UI claim
against. Canada could careless about him been on UI, but the state he has the claim
against might have a problem with it I.e. isn't he suppose to look for work during
the time he is on UI? Now Canada might have other concerns such as how long he will
be staying? How much money he is bringing to support himself while in Canada, the
purpose of his visit etc.
--

Heather

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 20th 2001, 6:07 am
Shelley

If you are referring to Unemployment Benefits someone receives when they lose a job,
I don't see how it could be a problem, unless he is required to be looking for a new
job while receiving his benefits (of course this would be a problem for him, not a
problem for traveling to Canada). Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 23rd 2001, 12:50 am
Paul McTaggart

Another thing your boyfriend might want to keep in mind is how often he has to sign
for his benefits. If it's every 2 weeks (like in GB) then a 3 week visit poses some
logistical problems.

Also - customs officers may ask how much money he's bringing with him. I know U.S.
customs officers do when you cross the border in the other direction.

Paul

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 23rd 2001, 7:15 am
Shelley

Actually - in the US once you apply for Unemployment Benefits, you just receive a
check in the mail every week for a specific number of weeks. Take Care. Shelley

>
has
    >
week
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > My boyfriend would like to come visit me in Canada within the next month, and he[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > is currently on Unemployment Insurance. I was just wondering if anyone out there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > knows if it is fine to leave his country to come visit me for 3 weeks? (He is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from USA)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -shake what yer momma gave ya-[/usenetquote2]