Reload this Page >

learning a trade in Canada

learning a trade in Canada

Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

lankywhale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default learning a trade in Canada

Hey,

I had a quick browse through the forum for some answers but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have been living in Canada for just over 2 years (working holiday visa, now just on a tourist visa). I have been travelling and living abroad for the past 6 years and have decided that Canada is where I want to live (it was between NZ and Canada). I want to apply for residency, but unfortunately I have pretty much nothing to offer in terms of education or skills. I have wanted to be a sparky for a long time but travelling the wold 'got in the way'.

I could go home and do it there, but I'm already set up in Canada with bank accounts and a car and everything else. If I go home, I would then need to do the RedSeal upon returning and set myself up here all over again after most likely getting into some debt in the UK to get myself sorted there. Then again in Canada in 4/5 years time to get myself on my feet again over here.

Just looking for any advice on this. More importantly, institutions to contact and any person(s) in particular to contact. I have friends trying to help me out but they only know how to go about it as a Canadian resident. I'm looking into visiting a careers advisor, but thought someone on here may have been through the exact same process as this.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning a trade in Canada

You can only enter the apprenticeship trades program if you have PR, or are Canadian.

If you train in another country, you would require 9000 hours of provable work experience to challenge the trade exam. This is about 5 year full time work.

You may have to be patient, train and get the work experience in the UK, or try another avenue to PR.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:57 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it wasn't the answer the OP wanted?
Old Oct 17th 2017, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Your guess is correct. After doing some research I found out why. I can do any education course as a foreign national. I can even do apprenticeships, or at least what they call a co op course. This means I could work whilst enrolled on a course, but the the hours of work cannot exceed more than 50% of the total course. The trade apprenticeships are 80% work and 20% classroom. Because of this, there is no valid visa available.

It's a shame. I'll have to leave Canada, go back home. Set myself up for 5 years, qualify and get the appropriate experience in the trade, come back to canada, try and find a job and then complete the red seal after again obtaining enough hours in the trade. Just seems a bit long and pointless.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:36 am
Just Joined

You can only enter the apprenticeship trades program if you have PR, or are Canadian.

If you train in another country, you would require 9000 hours of provable work experience to challenge the trade exam. This is about 5 year full time work.

You may have to be patient, train and get the work experience in the UK, or try another avenue to PR.
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it!