Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing tomorrow in Calgary

Landing tomorrow in Calgary

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing tomorrow in Calgary

My google maps still has bits of Stoney Trail missing...
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help, we went with Koodo and Best Buys had a Garmin on special so we bought that, it was a big help driving around. We have had issues with customer service today, Best Buys in two shops were attrocious, Boston Pizza we walked out but Apple were fantastic. Tomorrow temporary accommodation and social security numbers, hopefully the tiredness will have abated and we can wake up at a sensible time and not 0400!!
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:50 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegSnow
Thanks for your help, we went with Koodo and Best Buys had a Garmin on special so we bought that, it was a big help driving around. We have had issues with customer service today, Best Buys in two shops were attrocious, Boston Pizza we walked out but Apple were fantastic. Tomorrow temporary accommodation and social security numbers, hopefully the tiredness will have abated and we can wake up at a sensible time and not 0400!!
If you complain to head office at Boston Pizza you mwy well grt pizza vouchers. Get ueed to atrocious customer service in most places.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

We went to a Boston Pizza in Victoria in 2006.

The service and food were SO bad, we have never set foot in a Boston Pizza since....
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

as a trucker most i know go for garmin, free lifetime updates and most military use it which is a good recommendation.
I have one and wouldn't use anything else, google maps isn't always accurate and often puts you on the wrong block.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/cOnT...motive-p1.html

check the specs on their site then look in the big retail stores for them.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by haggis88
Mine looks fine. What are you missing?
Are you sure it's not just the bit that's not built yet?
Maybe you need to update?
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
We went to a Boston Pizza in Victoria in 2006.

The service and food were SO bad, we have never set foot in a Boston Pizza since....
We haven't been since we used up all the free coupons lol We ended up with ten small pizza and pop for two coupons.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
Mine looks fine. What are you missing?
Are you sure it's not just the bit that's not built yet?
Maybe you need to update?
everythings up to date, i say missing, but it's just got the old layout before Stoney was Stoney if you follow

its the part that used to be 22X Marquis of Lorne Trail, it's missing the on/off ramps to take you North and also missing the WB On-Ramp coming from Centre Street N, the rest of it is fine though
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

everythings up to date, i say missing, but it's just got the old layout before Stoney was Stoney if you follow

its the part that used to be 22X Marquis of Lorne Trail, it's missing the on/off ramps to take you North and also missing the WB On-Ramp coming from Centre Street N, the rest of it is fine though
Just checked mine, those ramps are there on it.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well isn't that just weird, checked both my phones just now and it seems the ramps are there...although I'm not convinced that the 22X ramps are actually laid out that way tbh, seems to change every time i'm down there with all the construction
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Caerus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by withabix
Some people prefer dedicated satnavs.

Therefore I would say:

Do buy a dedicated sat nav...

As for Google Maps and Apple maps being up to date, well, they simply aren't. I use mapping data as part of my job and they have pretty much the same 'lag' in terms of up-to-date mapping data as the Lifetime Updates do on TomTom and Garmin.

Map source information is basically acquired from the same providers.

Also, Apple's map data is actually provided by....TomTom.

Google do collect some of their own data (e.g. by using StreetView cars), but they still use the same base data.
You're right of course. Perhaps I should have stated that they are as up to date as up to date dedicated sat navs. But... They are free and I have found them perfectly adequate for navigating around Calgary. However, if one wishes to spend extra on a GPS then they should feel free to do so.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:24 am
Banned

Lorajymes is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i would also say that you should buy sat nav.As i could be really beneficial for making your journey ease and comfortable.But before purchasing you sat nav be sure the mapping app is upto dated. Have a safe joureny
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on which browser (and if you use Google, which country's Google website) you are using, you will get DIFFERENT age versions of Google Maps, particularly when it comes to the aerial photo layer.

We spotted this the other day at work - my current construction site is 'there' on Chrome when using Google Maps, but on Internet Explorer and Safari, it's not there...
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Don't people use paper maps anymore? They are way cheaper, don't stop working and can be used to find your way around and remember it.

Anyone I know who uses a GPS, uses the damn thing every time they go somewhere, when I ask how they got there, they had no idea, whichever way the GPS sent them, sometimes the most peculiar ways. I tried one once in Vancouver for the hell of it, it was useless, tried to take the most horrible routes, ignored it on the whole journey.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Don't people use paper maps anymore? They are way cheaper, don't stop working and can be used to find your way around and remember it.

Anyone I know who uses a GPS, uses the damn thing every time they go somewhere, when I ask how they got there, they had no idea, whichever way the GPS sent them, sometimes the most peculiar ways. I tried one once in Vancouver for the hell of it, it was useless, tried to take the most horrible routes, ignored it on the whole journey.

Good observation. A GPS helps navigate an unfamiliar city but doesn't help your brain learn to mentally map your new environment. My recommendation is to not rely upon it too much. A friend of mine who moved to Vancouver in 2007 still has a non-existent mental map of the city and cannot drive anywhere without her GPS. I live less than a 10 minute drive away from her, and cannot verbally give her directions as she cannot process it. This is not the only person I know like this. They all have two factors in common: they moved to the city in the past decade and have relied on their GPS to get anywhere. They are the only people I know who cannot comprehend the most basic verbal directions due to their inability to mentally map the city.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 3rd 2015 at 4:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.