Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing questions

Landing questions

Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:31 am
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road
Default Landing questions

Well the long awaited day is approaching. I've searched the forums for my answers without success so here's my questions (apologies is I've missed a previous thread).

What papers do we NEED to carry with us? Can't find conclusive evidence anywhere. What I mean is to land and for the first couple of weeks?

How many passport photos will we need to carry?

Is the $10K limit on what your carrying (before declaring it) applicable to cash only or in any variation (i.e. cash plus travellers cheques)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice
Default Re: Landing questions

Originally Posted by iambof
Well the long awaited day is approaching. I've searched the forums for my answers without success so here's my questions (apologies is I've missed a previous thread).

What papers do we NEED to carry with us? Can't find conclusive evidence anywhere. What I mean is to land and for the first couple of weeks?

Is the $10K limit on what your carrying (before declaring it) applicable to cash only or in any variation (i.e. cash plus travellers cheques)?

Thanks in advance.

I am in the same boat....just in the process of sorting out my visas and we're off!!!

Any advice on this post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all!!!

Brian
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:34 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Is the $10K limit on what your carrying (before declaring it) applicable to cash only or in any variation (i.e. cash plus travelers cheques)?

Thanks in advance.
You will need to have your passport complete with visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Resident paperwork which you received with your visa. You will need all these when getting to passport control.

After passport control you will be directed to an immigration officer. He will need to see the stuff above and may decide to take additional photos for your PR card- you don't need them yourself. He will ask questions relating to your application, just to confirm details and you may get asked to provide proof of funds (bank statements etc). We did not get asked for this, but were simply asked how much money we had and this was noted - this is money you physically have on you and any other funds you have available in banks etc. The $10k is inclusive of all funds so will be cash, travelers cheques etc.

With baggage, you will need to have two copies of your goods accompanying you and two copies of goods to follow (Forms B4 & B4a) or do your own. The officer will complete some paperwork and give you a copy to allow you to collect your goods to follow when they arrive.

That is all you will need to enter Canada. For the first couple of weeks you will need to register for your Social Insurance Number (SIN), Health Card, Driving License etc.

For these you will need the relevant forms which can be downloaded from the internet or you will find them in the Welcome to Canada pack you will receive at immigration. You will also need your passports and Confirmation of Permanent Resident paperwork which you will have been given back at immigration. Check with the application forms to see if you need any other form of ID. All photos for health, driving license etc are taken by officials, so you do not need to supply photos.

SIN application form can be found here. http://www.muchmorcanada.com/index.p...8&Itemid=10691.
The other forms were completed by the officials for us, but check as each province may be different.

Hope this helps and good luck
Jane
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:02 pm
Living the Life at Last

Ta.

Will we need other stuff like Birth Certs, Marriage Cert, Quals, etc?
Also will our UK photo driving licence be ok for some of the ID requirements?

Ta again.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:24 pm

Ta.

Will we need other stuff like Birth Certs, Marriage Cert, Quals, etc?
Also will our UK photo driving licence be ok for some of the ID requirements?

Ta again.
You should take all your personal paperwork with you (not as baggage) so that you have it all with you and it cannot get lost.

For ID we tended to use our passports and landing docs as we changed our driving license to an Ontario one the day after landing. In Ontario you are then given a temp license which can be used as ID - the real one is sent out a few weeks later.

For instance when getting a phone line from Bell we supplied our passports and temp Ontario driving license.

As long as you have things with photo, signature and address ID you can get by.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:38 pm
Living the Life at Last

Do you think scanning all our docs to CD would be useful? We can print them off as necessary then, or would they want to see actual originals (not that they could tell)?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:50 pm

Do you think scanning all our docs to CD would be useful? We can print them off as necessary then, or would they want to see actual originals (not that they could tell)?

We did this as back up, but kept all the originals of birth, marriage licences, education certificates etc. I personally prefer to have the originals although we haven't really needed them yet. If you will be looking for jobs and have qualification and education certs, I would have the originals as the employer may want to see them.

As you say, most people in Canada have no idea what a UK birth certificate etc looks like, so may not notice that it is a copy. I just preferred to have the originals just in case. At the end of the day it was just an extra folder with a dozen sheets of paper in it to pack in the hand luggage, so no big deal.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:37 am
Living the Life at Last

We'll be taking the originals of stuff like that yes.

What I was meaning to scan are all the things like bank statements, pension docs, mortgage statements, references, etc (sorry if wasn't clear). We keep pretty much EVERYTHING right down to receipts for shopping. Don't ask me why.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

eve normand will become famous soon enougheve normand will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I have a question.What is the baggage allowance?it is more
than the average 22 kg per person I hope!

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:12 am
Living the Life at Last

Depends who you fly with. There is another thread going at the moment regarding this.

Basically if you fly on any of the charter airlines it is only 20kg as usual.
Air Canada gives you 2 bags at 23kg each (46kg total) and also 2 carry on bags at 10kg each. Plenty.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:12 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Depends who you fly with. There is another thread going at the moment regarding this.

Basically if you fly on any of the charter airlines it is only 20kg as usual.
Air Canada gives you 2 bags at 23kg each (46kg total) and also 2 carry on bags at 10kg each. Plenty.
Just a word of warning although Airlines may permit more due to Security restrictions Imposed at UK airports you are restricted to one piece of hand luggage Check out www. baa.com for details
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:45 pm
Living the Life at Last

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Just a word of warning although Airlines may permit more due to Security restrictions Imposed at UK airports you are restricted to one piece of hand luggage Check out www. baa.com for details
Not flying from Manchester. I've already been over with Air Canada from Manchester in March and the baggage being allowed was as I stated earlier.

Must admit though I went via Heathrow and their restrictions are crazy. Ultra sensitive and some of it pointless really.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

eve normand will become famous soon enougheve normand will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.Just thought maybe if one had documents stating
you were emigrating,and its not a holiday airlines would allow more baggage/weight.Apparently not.

Eve
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:57 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Not flying from Manchester. I've already been over with Air Canada from Manchester in March and the baggage being allowed was as I stated earlier.

Must admit though I went via Heathrow and their restrictions are crazy. Ultra sensitive and some of it pointless really.
I flew from Manchester to Vancouver end of April, was carrying 1 bag and laptop, they made me try and get my laptop into my bag obviously to small I managed to get one corner of laptop in :curse: :curse:
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:56 am
Living the Life at Last

Looks like I owe an apology here. Just checked with Manchester Airport and it is only 1 piece of hand baggage allowed.

I'm sure someone I saw had 2 but maybe not. Never mind.
All I need now is to find 4 bags that fit the maximum size allowed and cram them full.

Back to my original question can someone tell me what is included in this welcome pack you get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.