Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kind of lonely in Toronto

Kind of lonely in Toronto

Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:08 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kind of lonely in Toronto

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
*LOL*. I burst out laughing and asked Mr Schnooks how to respond. This is what Mr Schnooks has to say:

JamesM is usually pretty shy and quiet, but once he's had a few drinks he starts to liven up.

Define "a few"

Joking aside. lukesmith2 - you both need to come along, you will have fun, and the usual crowd are great people. When I first popped along I was made very welcome, and I was even allowed to come back, despite getting *very* drunk (I'll blame James ).

Last edited by sharkus; Jan 14th 2017 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

We will definately be at the meet up. It sounds good.

To be honest currently we are hating Canada, the only positive is my job, which is so much better than it was at home (much better work environment etc) but my girlfriend hates her job and this is her second job here.

Im not sure if its just the winter getting us down as its so damn miserable over here its unreal (Its even more miserable than the UK weather, which I didn't think was possible).

Also maybe its the fact that everything seems so expensive compared to the UK (shopping at no frills lol, excluding gas & cars) and it seems like your getting ripped off all the time, also contrary to what people said before we came here, most people aren't friendly in Toronto they are really passive aggressive and dramatic, which just p****s me off and winds me up. Service is rubbish everywhere apart from restaurants, and the vacation and general employment conditions are terrible.

If things don't improve in the summer, I think we will just go back to the UK with our heads held high after our rental contract ends in November.

When we get outside of Toronto, its a different story though, Oakville, Burlington all the surrounding areas have nice people but then salaries are lower, or its further to commute in a place where the traffic is insane, housing prices are insanely expensive.

When I was listening to the guy on the radio (102.1 the edge) the guy hit the nail on the head (excuse the saying), he said Toronto is turning into the Florida of Canada. I thought at least its not just me that is thinking that.

Sorry for my language and remarks but I really needed to vent that. This place is driving us crazy.

Last edited by lukesmith2; Jan 14th 2017 at 5:49 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read this. However,

- you've only been in Canada 3 months
- it's the middle of winter
- you're experiencing culture shock (in my opinion)

Give it some more time. Get on a plane and visit a couple of other provinces (like BC). Go to the British Expats meet up. Consider moving to the places that you just mentioned that you like.

Try a few things before you throw in the towel.

This is written by someone (me!) who is more than double your age and took nearly 5 years to feel happy in Canada!

S
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Sorry to read this. However,

- you've only been in Canada 3 months
- it's the middle of winter
- you're experiencing culture shock (in my opinion)

Give it some more time. Get on a plane and visit a couple of other provinces (like BC). Go to the British Expats meet up. Consider moving to the places that you just mentioned that you like.

Try a few things before you throw in the towel.

This is written by someone (me!) who is more than double your age and took nearly 5 years to feel happy in Canada!

S
Exactly! Give it a little while - no doubt your expectations were high before you arrived, and you would have been excited about a different life. Reality soon sets in - as people often say on here, life here isn't necessarily better or worse, just different and it can take some adjusting to. BTW Ive sent you a private message as we came from the same neck of the woods.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2
When I was listening to the guy on the radio (102.1 the edge) the guy hit the nail on the head (excuse the saying), he said Toronto is turning into the Florida of Canada. I thought at least its not just me that is thinking that.
I've never thought that and I wonder what it means.

Lots of Cubans? Lots of Cadillacs swaying gently between lanes at 25mph? Frequent flooding? Dinners served at 4pm? Alligators in the swimming pools? Lax importation laws allowing registration of vehicles not deemed roadworthy anywhere else? Swamps? Theme parks? Extensive military installations supported by high tech infrastructure? Very camp gay scene? Spanish widely spoken? Hot, damp climate?

I'm not getting it.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Culture shock (the Canadian government knows about it):

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/culture-shock

S
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

lukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond reputelukesmith2 has a reputation beyond repute

How do I get the info on this meet up thanks?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Culture shock (the Canadian government knows about it):

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/livi.../culture-shock

S
thanks for that I think this seems to be exactly what we are going through. I have to say I wish there was a drug I could take and it would be over

Thanks for finding that link
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How do I get the info on this meet up thanks?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...10-feb-889636/
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks
NP. But how is Toronto like Florida?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
NP. But how is Toronto like Florida?
Well the guy on the radio was talking about all the crazy stuff that people seem to be doing of recent, but I only caught the tail end of it.

But I agree, I've been to Florida many times. Apart from the climate which is most definately not similar apart from in the summer.

I can see alot of similarities between Florida and Toronto. Both have large immigrant communities for example, and both are favoured for people to emigrate to especially Brits and Canadians.

I won't dwell on this.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is turning into the Florida of Canada
Originally Posted by dbd33
I've never thought that and I wonder what it means...
Attached Thumbnails Kind of lonely in Toronto-csi.jpg  
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Haha so good
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest currently we are hating Canada, the only positive is my job, which is so much better than it was at home (much better work environment etc) but my girlfriend hates her job and this is her second job here.

Im not sure if its just the winter getting us down as its so damn miserable over here its unreal (Its even more miserable than the UK weather

Sorry for my language and remarks but I really needed to vent that. This place is driving us crazy.
I think that nearly all of us have felt exactly like this on any number of occasions. The winter is long, hard and bloody depressing. We all need to vent...and BE is just the place for it.

I have been here four years. The first was OK, everything was a first - my first winter, I attacked like a trooper, but at the end of it, I realized that every year there would be another one along just like it, and I went mentally down hill rapidly. Year four and I am feeling slightly more positive. I've lived in a number of countries and try to stay for three years, as it gives you a more balanced view on the pros and cons.

It really does get better. In another eight weeks the weather will start to improve, and I guarantee your mood will improve with it. Everything seem worse in such a climate.

Do go along to the meet up...I so wish I could, please someone raise a glass in my name...

Very best of luck, we do understand how sad this place can be at times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.