Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Just introducing myself....hello

Just introducing myself....hello

Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Lady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really nice
Default Just introducing myself....hello

Evening everyone,
I have already posted on the newcomers thread, but thought I would say hello specifically here as I've just found out I'm moving to Vancouver in 2012! Apologies if I'm not supposed to post things like this here; I'm just getting my head round all the forum etiquette, so I will try my best to abide by it!
My OH has just been offered a job at Vancouver General Hospital, so currently I am a bit overwhelmed with information and possibilities, and I don't even know how to proceed so that I can go too!! Hoping that reading around on here will help to lift the fog eventually. Looking forward to 'meeting' others in a similar boat!

LL x
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just introducing myself....hello

Originally Posted by Lady Lazarus
My OH has just been offered a job at Vancouver General Hospital, so currently I am a bit overwhelmed with information and possibilities, and I don't even know how to proceed so that I can go too!! Hoping that reading around on here will help to lift the fog eventually.
Hello and welcome.

Regarding the bold bit, if your OH has been offered the job, as long as you are married or have been living together for at least a year, he just has to add you to his application.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Lady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really niceLady Lazarus is just really nice

Oh thank you, that is helpful - I have read a few things that suggested the same. Does that mean I can look for work on arrival?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you, that is helpful - I have read a few things that suggested the same. Does that mean I can look for work on arrival?
With an Open Work Permit, yes, but not necessarily in your profession.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

As a pp said, if you are married or have lived together for a year or more then you would be able to go on his visa application - if he's going to get Permanent Residency then you would too, and if he's going on a Temp Work Permit then you could accompany him, and depending on his job may qualify for a Spousal Open Work Permit.

What is the job he's been offered and what visa will you be going over on?

Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for helpful replies so far. To answer PP, he's a doctor and has a permanent consultancy post at VGH. He was only offered the job last week, so we're waiting for paperwork to come through etc, so not exactly certain which visa it will be yet. We don't plan to return to the UK though, so a permanent resident one I guess? It's good to know I can be added to his - we have been together for three years and living together for two. I'm a secondary school teacher, though I don't know what I plan to pursue yet. Just getting my head round it all at this stage!!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for helpful replies so far. To answer PP, he's a doctor and has a permanent consultancy post at VGH. He was only offered the job last week, so we're waiting for paperwork to come through etc, so not exactly certain which visa it will be yet. We don't plan to return to the UK though, so a permanent resident one I guess? It's good to know I can be added to his - we have been together for three years and living together for two. I'm a secondary school teacher, though I don't know what I plan to pursue yet. Just getting my head round it all at this stage!!
OK, so if he goes on a Temp Work Permit (which is the most likely as I assume his potential employers wouldn't wait the 12-18 months it would take him to get Permanent Residency) then you'd get a Spousal Open Work Permit as he's considered a skilled worker.

The employers must first apply for a Labour Market Opinion for which they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Once your partner has got the LMO and job offer letter from his employer, he can apply for a Temp Work Permit and your open work permit - details of how to do so are in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). There is also a Wiki article on teaching in Canada which I would suggest you read.

Hope that helps a bit, good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:16 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Hi there Lady Lazarus welcome aboard....
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:31 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the mad house - the general open work permit that is usually given to an accompanying spouse precludes nursing and teaching - but this can be added after you have gone thru a few hoops - CRB checks, degree checks etc. . . .