Reload this Page >

Joining BC or Alberta Police

Joining BC or Alberta Police

Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Jkd_144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joining BC or Alberta Police

Hi,

My partner & I have just been granted our PR status, based on her job/qualifications.
We hope to get all our loose ends tied up & be ready to move over in the next 6 months or so.

I'm a serving Police Officer in the Uk, & was wondering if anyone on here had any up to date info or advice with regards to joining a Police service in either BC or Alberta?
I'm aware that I'd probably have to apply from the beginning like everyone else!

Obviously I've looked at all the different Police department websites, but any other relevant guidance would be very much appreciated!
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining BC or Alberta Police

Originally Posted by Jkd_144
Hi,

My partner & I have just been granted our PR status, based on her job/qualifications.
We hope to get all our loose ends tied up & be ready to move over in the next 6 months or so.

I'm a serving Police Officer in the Uk, & was wondering if anyone on here had any up to date info or advice with regards to joining a Police service in either BC or Alberta?
I'm aware that I'd probably have to apply from the beginning like everyone else!

Obviously I've looked at all the different Police department websites, but any other relevant guidance would be very much appreciated!
The are no provincial Alberta or BC Police services. Some cities have their own police service and there is the RCMP which is federal. RCMP you have to already have residency in Canada. Look if any police services are recruiting from overseas, otherwise you would need to already have residency to apply. Contact a few city forces to find out, you may get lucky.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

We have a message board dedicated to police officers and the like, which may be of use to you - you can find it here: Police - British Expats

There's also the Blueline forum which has some helpful articles/threads/messages, there's lots of info on criteria, how to's etc.

Have you decided where you are going to move to, or does that depend on the availability of jobs?

Congrats on PR, by the way!

Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The RCMP which is the Federal Police Force operates in all provinces and territories. There is no BC or AB provincial force it is the RCMP. All major towns and cities in both provinces have their own police forces i.e. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver etc.
The RCMP have just stated that you now only need to be a PR to apply.
IMHO applying for a city town force is more desirable than the RCMP and most are paid more than the RCMP.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 2:48 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

For Calgary Police Service, my understanding is you currently have to have had PR status for 3 years before you can apply.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:20 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The RCMP which is the Federal Police Force operates in all provinces and territories. There is no BC or AB provincial force it is the RCMP. All major towns and cities in both provinces have their own police forces i.e. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver etc.
The RCMP have just stated that you now only need to be a PR to apply.
IMHO applying for a city town force is more desirable than the RCMP and most are paid more than the RCMP.
The bolded and underlined statement above is very misleading.

Yes you can apply with PR status but and it's a big but, you must have lived in Canada for the last ten years.

Qualifications and requirements | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Old Jul 19th 2016, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Jkd_144 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated.
Pretty much what my research was telling me.
I'll have a look at the websites mentioned though- initially look very useful!
Although we've always thought we wanted to move to BC, & not too far from Vancouver, we've just returned from our first trip to Calgary & absolutely loved it! The people are so friendly & welcoming! Definetely gave us some 'food for thought'!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Join West Vancouver Police, that is the cushiest gig for Policing in BC.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi, if you want information on Edmonton police, then send me a PM - ive been here 6 years, previous north wales police (14 years). Regards

Last edited by nige1521; Jul 26th 2016 at 10:08 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I'd edit that post to remove your email address unless you like being blitzed by spam bots
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe another option is working for the Sheriffs.

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/progra...s/default.aspx

How to Apply | Justice Institute of British Columbia
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allycat231
That's a really good idea!

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/career...uirements.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2016 at 7:14 am. Reason: Ugh. I didn't read the 1st post properly, my bad.