Job required

Old Apr 21st 2018, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Oikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job required

I am trying to be in a position to move to canada
I need a job to have enough points to gain entry

I have been applying for jobs from job boards and linked in in the range if 3 or 4 a week but getting nowhere
I'm applying for IT jobs mostly around the GTA but also other provinces
Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Mark
Old Apr 21st 2018, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job required

If you're only applying online, then that is very unlikely to result in anything, even those who are already work authorised (i.e. with PR) rarely have any luck doing it that way. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki which has loads of info and tips in it, but essentially you need to pick up the phone as a minimum, and ideally plan a job hunting trip out there.

Good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I was once the person looking for a role and now I am a hiring manager.
So from seeing it both sides of the fence I want to share with you an organizations view on your resume.
Depending on the job we can see many or just some resumes come through. They come through a system that gives the resume and the cover letter and specific fields such as " right to work in Canada" The moment I see "requires work permit" I know that person will not be available as soon as we need them as work permits take time and effort on the organizations behalf, more often that not that person is not even in the country let alone the province. From that point onwards this is a no go from the start.

So heres my suggestion, go to the province you are interested in and meet people, in the lead up to your trip network on linked in and find companies you want to work for. Arrange to meet HR or someone there when you arrive on the understanding with them that you are building your network. Meet recruiters too. Meet as many people as you can. Make a point to have companies know who you are. That way you are no longer a distant name on a resume that requires a lot of effort for someone that is far from easy for them to hire.

For me, I found out that our company had an affiliation with a NS company so I called and chatted and asked if I could send in my resume for them just to give me feedback. They agreed. I emailed it and then called and chatted some more. They agreed to have a coffee with me when I arrived in March (this was October at the time).

I was a little different as at that point I had NS nomination and the wheels were turning but i was still not an easy hire for them or anyone in NS.

When I arrived I met with them, armed with knowledge that a job offer would lead to a TWP through no effort for them as I had the NS nomination. You have to know everything they would need to do as they dont know because hiring foreigners is not something HR knows in any company in any country as a general rule.
They liked me, I had skills that they could use. They had no role but made one. It was less money than I wanted, they had no burning requirement. We worked together for a year. They gave me my first job which led to the rest of my career here, I gave them financial reporting and controls which they had never had. The rest is history.

Your first in is hard to get and it may not be perfect but once you have had one Canadian employer and live here, the world of employment becomes different and much easier for you.
Good luck in your quest.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

My other suggestion is that you come to NS and meet with Emera. They are a large utility and have affiliates in NS, Maine, Carribean, Bahamas, NL, NB, Tampa, New Mexico and California.
To that end they have an enormous IT dept as NS has their head office.

They also have very informed HR dept and have hired foreigners before so they know whats necessary.
Take a look at their website, careers come up all the time on there and at the very least reach out to them if NS could work for you.

If you need an HR contact please feel free to pm me. I used to work there :-)
Old Apr 21st 2018, 5:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are interested in NS or the Atlantic Provinces, do have a look at the pilot program..https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html

There was a contact in the 'jobs' section - here's the link: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...ancies-899238/ and https://www.cgi.com/en/careers/working-at-cgi

Here's the link for the company mentioned above: http://www.emera.com/en/home/company...e/careers.aspx

Best of luck!!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 21st 2018 at 6:01 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Oikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond reputeOikford has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much to all of you.
Once again this community has proved amazing
This is a very daunting and tough course but you guys and girls make it a whole lot less so