Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting with Work Permit Approval

Job Hunting with Work Permit Approval

Old Nov 30th 2017, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Hunting with Work Permit Approval

Hi there guys,

First of all, thank you very much for all the help you've given over the past 4 years!

I wanted to ask if anyone had any experiences or tips for job hunting when you have a work permit approval but don't have the work permit yet?

My plan is to try and make contact with a few companies and tell them I've been approved and I should be eligible for work in January?

Again, all advice is greatly welcomed.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting with Work Permit Approval

If you give a date when you are available and state legally entitled to work in Canada. Should be sufficient. Would not make it over complicated.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

I don't it's a SOWP
Old Nov 30th 2017, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is you're not entitled to work until you've got your WP.

The letter that you've received from IRCC is not an authorization to work in itself.

So it's a bit tricky to state "legally entitled to work".

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 30th 2017 at 4:49 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
The problem is you're not entitled to work until you've got your WP.

The letter that you've received from IRCC is not an authorization to work in itself.

So it's a bit tricky to state "legally entitled to work".
I thought that was the case...is there a way I could word or open a channel of communications though?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How about indicating that you have been approved for the issuance of a work which should be issued to you on your arrival in Canada and that you are due to arrive on X date and available for work on X date.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Cheers FE, that sounds like a lot of sense!

On the back of that, do you think that would sound ok to a potential employer? It's not being too forward?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Obitim
Cheers FE, that sounds like a lot of sense!

On the back of that, do you think that would sound ok to a potential employer? It's not being too forward?
Not at all in my view. Many will tell you as a newcomer that it can be sometimes hard to secure employment if no job secured before arriving. Barring anything drastic happening you will have the work permit in hand and ready to start immediately which can also work in your favour.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Awesome!

Thank you very much for the advice!

I'm really looking forward to trying my luck then!