Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job hunting in Regina

Job hunting in Regina

Old Nov 20th 2014, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

PearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job hunting in Regina

Hi all, I just wanted to let everyone know of my experience in getting a job in Regina. Quite a few people told me that I would go through numerous interviews before being given a job, while others told me I wouldn't have a problem at all. This left me a bit worried and somewhat confused as to who and what to believe. I suppose everyone has their own experience in which to share. Here's my experience, which I still can't believe! Having been here not even 3 weeks, I went for my first job interview as a chef at the Keg Steakhouse. I chose to go there as I had heard good things about them even though they are a chain restaurant. My interview must have gone well as they offered me the job there and then! I have also found out, through researching, that the money they offered me per hour is above average!! Can't wait to get my start date. To anyone still looking for a job, good luck and hope you smash the interview!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting in Regina

Originally Posted by PearlyQueen
Hi all, I just wanted to let everyone know of my experience in getting a job in Regina. Quite a few people told me that I would go through numerous interviews before being given a job, while others told me I wouldn't have a problem at all. This left me a bit worried and somewhat confused as to who and what to believe. I suppose everyone has their own experience in which to share. Here's my experience, which I still can't believe! Having been here not even 3 weeks, I went for my first job interview as a chef at the Keg Steakhouse. I chose to go there as I had heard good things about them even though they are a chain restaurant. My interview must have gone well as they offered me the job there and then! I have also found out, through researching, that the money they offered me per hour is above average!! Can't wait to get my start date. To anyone still looking for a job, good luck and hope you smash the interview!

They are a good company but be prepared for lots of training as they expect you to do everything exactly according to The Keg way. Their pay rates are higher for both chefs and bar staff, if you do well you can ask to go into the management program - and the perks are very good with them too!

My son has worked for The Keg group for 4 years and has been very happy with them.

Best of luck with the new job - and congrats!

Old Nov 20th 2014, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

PearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

They are a good company but be prepared for lots of training as they expect you to do everything exactly according to The Keg way. Their pay rates are higher for both chefs and bar staff, if you do well you can ask to go into the management program - and the perks are very good with them too!

My son has worked for The Keg group for 4 years and has been very happy with them.

Best of luck with the new job - and congrats!

Thanks Siouxie 😀 what job role is your son in? I don't mind the training, it is different from a the uk so I feel this will help me with how to do things the Canadian way lol.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!! looks like me and our daughter will have cheap nights out then!!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Well done!! looks like me and our daughter will have cheap nights out then!!
Sounds possible, maybe even some good leftovers.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie � ���� what job role is your son in? I don't mind the training, it is different from a the uk so I feel this will help me with how to do things the Canadian way lol.
He's a head bartender and has been told that they want him to go for a management position - he's just waiting for the right one to come up at a location that he likes!

The Keg have some good functions for staff - parties, Keg Cup, Keg Ski weekend (if you can get to that, they have a blast), summer bbq's etc. They do look after their staff and more often than not promote from within.

Hope the job goes well for you!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 21st 2014 at 12:01 am.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
He's a head bartender and has been told that they want him to go for a management position - he's just waiting for the right one to come up at a location that he likes!

The Keg have some good functions for staff - parties, Keg Cup, Keg Ski weekend (if you can get to that, they have a blast), summer bbq's etc. They do look after their staff and more often than not promote from within.

Hope the job goes well for you!

Lots of luck to him my fingers are crossed he get's what he's been waiting for.

Ooh I love a party!!!

Hopefully I will settle in nicely and love it there. I do have a good feeling about working at The Keg.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 4:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Agribition is coming, so watch out for thousands of trucks full of people who don't know their way around. Take in the rodeo!
Attached Thumbnails Job hunting in Regina-20141121_112151.jpg  
Old Nov 28th 2014, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Congrats!
Thank you x
Old Nov 28th 2014, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caretaker
Agribition is coming, so watch out for thousands of trucks full of people who don't know their way around. Take in the rodeo!
Looks good, hopefully will get the chance to go next time
Old Nov 28th 2014, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Well had my orientation and all went well, was shown around, read through rules and regs and finalised my hours that I will be working. Oh and wow they do love to party, every 3 months infact lol.