Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

It's actually happening argh!

It's actually happening argh!

Old Oct 12th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's actually happening argh!

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
Cheers guys for all your responses. I've got a lot to go through.

I've already handed in my notice at work (which felt great! ) and I leave end of November. My new start date is 8th Jan so all being well I'll be in NS 5th Jan.

It's totally bizarre going to work and carrying on as normal when you know in a matter of months you'll be somewhere totally different. How is not a big deal to everyone else! I'm sure people are getting sick of me talking about it and stressing about what needs to be done and things I need to look into.
It will feel very strange. I went through a lot of "this is the last time I'll do this" moments...
My colleagues and I regularly tracked our container as it made its way across the ocean!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute

What is weird is hubby and me have spent so long talking about the 'how do we get to Canada' and 'when we get to Canada' that I'm thinking what the hell will we have to talk about when we get there!

I'm in a bit of pickle as hubby might not be joining me straight away coz of work (long story) so I've got an airbnb for a couple of months and then hope I can find somewhere cheap to rent till he gets there and is working. Plus it needs to be somewhere we can have the cats with us....

Also, means I can't move any furniture as he'll need it till he joins me - minefield
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

What is weird is hubby and me have spent so long talking about the 'how do we get to Canada' and 'when we get to Canada' that I'm thinking what the hell will we have to talk about when we get there!

I'm in a bit of pickle as hubby might not be joining me straight away coz of work (long story) so I've got an airbnb for a couple of months and then hope I can find somewhere cheap to rent till he gets there and is working. Plus it needs to be somewhere we can have the cats with us....

Also, means I can't move any furniture as he'll need it till he joins me - minefield
The kids and I stayed at a friends house for the month before we joined hubby. We bought a house that closed during that time. While he was waiting for our stuff to arrive he begged, borrowed and stole from friends...
I'm sure Howefamily remembers it well!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Also, means I can't move any furniture as he'll need it till he joins me .....
I'd ship the furniture and your stuff, and make your husband make do with an air mattress and as many clothes as he can fit in a couple of suitcases.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Loraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond reputeLoraine 1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan and to be honest that was my first thought. Ideally we'd like to rent for 6 months till we figure out where we want to live. I'm struggling finding rentals to meet our needs though.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We seem to have been an exception to the rent first, buy later idea.

Perhaps it was different having moved to this province from Quebec but it doesn't seem so different, other than already being in Canada.

Or maybe the smaller nature of Moncton compared to folk moving to Vancouver or Toronto.

Having targeted Moncton over Fredericton and Saint John, we visited for four days on a buy a house trip and bought one.

Prior to that my only experience of Moncton was buying bacon, passing through, in 1975
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like a plan and to be honest that was my first thought. Ideally we'd like to rent for 6 months till we figure out where we want to live. I'm struggling finding rentals to meet our needs though.
We rented for a couple of months when we moved down to Yarmouth. Our realtor found somewhere for us. Might be worth asking yours if you have found one already.
With the tenancy act you can either sign an annual or month to month lease. But most landlords would want a one year commitment.
Where are you going to be living? As you're coming in off season what are the chances of renting a vacation rental?
Might also be worth asking airbnb owners if they would consider a longer rental.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:07 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
The kids and I stayed at a friends house for the month before we joined hubby. We bought a house that closed during that time. While he was waiting for our stuff to arrive he begged, borrowed and stole from friends...
I'm sure Howefamily remembers it well!
I do, it was a tough time for you guys to be apart plus he had a foot injury that he didnt want to concern you with and our basement flooded whilst he was here and we had to move everything and him on crutches very fast as water seeped in.
Basement was renovated, you guys started your lives together and his foot is well, not quite right to this day, is that correct?
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:08 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed with our realtor for three months with kids and cat. He was a star, forever grateful for him and his other half.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:13 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Yay congratulations! How exciting and terrifying at the same time. I wish you all the luck in the world. Do keep us posted on your progress.

And shipping a cat for $100 - seriously? I thought it cost thousands to ship animals!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I do, it was a tough time for you guys to be apart plus he had a foot injury that he didnt want to concern you with and our basement flooded whilst he was here and we had to move everything and him on crutches very fast as water seeped in.
Basement was renovated, you guys started your lives together and his foot is well, not quite right to this day, is that correct?
That's about it yes. Lol

Foot still playing up somewhat. Will never be the same tbh.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:16 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada
Yay congratulations! How exciting and terrifying at the same time. I wish you all the luck in the world. Do keep us posted on your progress.

And shipping a cat for $100 - seriously? I thought it cost thousands to ship animals!
You could take animals as carry on for GBP100 one way in 2011 on Air Canada if you too were on the flight.
We got all the paperwork done at the vets, plus his needles for rabies etc. Measured cat (not that easy) for size, ordered vari-kennel off of ebay. Took cat with paperwork in said kennel to LHR on the day and a nice man took him at checkin.
Air Canada laid out all the rules of cat as excess baggage on their website and they were actually great.
He met us at the other end. It was incredibly easy.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 6:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Well you may have seen that after years of trying we are finally moving to NS. We always thought we'd be going on hubbies visa as he's better educated and cleverer than me, but as it happens I found and he's going on mine he he.

I'm proper excited and can't wait to get over there, but I'm also terrified. Is this normal?
We've got soooo much to do to get the house ready for sale it's mind blowing. Then there's questions like - Where do we live? What do we get rid off/take? How long does the AIPP process take? How much notice to I give work? How am I going to feel when I actually move away from my family who I'm proper close to? I'm sure you've all been there and it would be great to get a bit of feedback and know I'm not going crazy!!
You're not going crazy, it's understandable to be excited. How many sleeps before your flight?
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We stayed with our realtor for three months with kids and cat. He was a star, forever grateful for him and his other half.
And I thought we did well being ferried about by ours all over town and then treated to breakfast on the completion day.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
You're not going crazy, it's understandable to be excited. How many sleeps before your flight?

All being well we'll be flying out 5th Jan which is 83 days . I've not booked the flight yet as I keep thinking 'is this real?' Is it actually happening? Could it go wrong? What if they change their mind and renege on the job offer? What if immigration decline our application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.