Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

International money transfer on a reg. basis - Paypal

International money transfer on a reg. basis - Paypal

Old Aug 11th 2015, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default International money transfer on a reg. basis - Paypal

Someone had mentioned PayPal when I was looking to transfer money internationally on a monthly basis... I'd like to know more on how exactly to go about it... I will be transferring the CAD equivalent of 100-150 EUR monthly, from Canada (RBC) to Malta (Bank of Valletta) ... I have two paypal accounts, one in Canada with the RBC bank account hooked directly up to it, as well as my Canadian VISA debit card, the other in Malta which will have my Maltese VISA electron card hooked up to it once I get the number for it. (Maltese paypal does not support direct linking of Maltese bank accounts, so the Visa electron is my only option)

I guess the procedure would be to transfer funds from Canadian paypal to Maltese paypal, then go into the Maltese paypal and "withdraw" the funds via my Visa electron card? Would that work?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International money transfer on a reg. basis - Paypal

I also have this set up.
With UK paypal and Canadian Paypal linked up at both ends.

However, each time I tried to pay, paypal declined my payment.
I found it easier to use Canadian Forex.

Payment went through within a few days.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Someone had mentioned PayPal when I was looking to transfer money internationally on a monthly basis... I'd like to know more on how exactly to go about it... I will be transferring the CAD equivalent of 100-150 EUR monthly, from Canada (RBC) to Malta (Bank of Valletta) ... I have two paypal accounts, one in Canada with the RBC bank account hooked directly up to it, as well as my Canadian VISA debit card, the other in Malta which will have my Maltese VISA electron card hooked up to it once I get the number for it. (Maltese paypal does not support direct linking of Maltese bank accounts, so the Visa electron is my only option)

I guess the procedure would be to transfer funds from Canadian paypal to Maltese paypal, then go into the Maltese paypal and "withdraw" the funds via my Visa electron card? Would that work?
I haven't used PayPal like this so can't comment from direct experience, but my one piece of advice based on having made a few international paymetns via PayPal is to look very carefully at their fees and charges. For a series of regular transactions of that sort of value you might find that PayPal is an extremely expensive way of doing things, when you factor in both the exchange rate "haircut" and the per-transaction costs. Why not ask your bank (at either end) what they recommend as a cost-effective method for regular small international transactions?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 8:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

as discussed in post #2 & #3 relative to the issues as well as look at not only the FX but also the charges

compare

Get the best international wire transfer online. No transfer limit and often no fee. | CanForex | CAForex

XE - The World's Trusted Currency Authority
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'll check out those two as options as well. To send by online transfer from RBC there is a charge of CAN $ 15.00 per $2,500 transferred abroad, so on 150 Euro / month transferred that adds up, so directly from the bank is ruled out.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Check out these guys
Payso - Send and receive money from your phone quickly and securely

They are based in Vancouver
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

I have two paypal accounts, one in Canada with the RBC bank account hooked directly up to it, as well as my Canadian VISA debit card, the other in Malta which will have my Maltese VISA electron card hooked up to it once I get the number for it. (Maltese paypal does not support direct linking of Maltese bank accounts, so the Visa electron is my only option)

Yes that's exactly how it works. I'm currently sending a similar amount back to the UK on a regular basis and I find that the money normally clears in the UK within the hour.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gozit,

I have 2 PayPal accounts. One Canadian account linked to my Canadian bank account and the other a UK account linked to my UK bank account. It worked fine for me, just had to signed in one account, make a transfer, sign out and sign into the receiving account!

Old Aug 12th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparrow Clan
Hi Gozit,

I have 2 PayPal accounts. One Canadian account linked to my Canadian bank account and the other a UK account linked to my UK bank account. It worked fine for me, just had to signed in one account, make a transfer, sign out and sign into the receiving account!

+1 that's what I've been doing for student loans in the UK
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold

I spent 2 years paying the bank $25 to transfer money home each month before the penny dropped that as my PayPal is linked to my UK account and my husbands is linked to canada, I can transfer money from his into mine then withdraw it for free, and it shows in my UK account instantly. Wish I'd have thought of it sooner
Old Aug 13th 2015, 12:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmab1979
I spent 2 years paying the bank $25 to transfer money home each month before the penny dropped that as my PayPal is linked to my UK account and my husbands is linked to canada, I can transfer money from his into mine then withdraw it for free, and it shows in my UK account instantly. (
Am I reading this correctly? I occasionally withdraw cash from my UK bank account from any of three nearby banks. There are two fees involved, one for cash and one non standard currency. I think it's about £7 for £100/$200 and a bit less for the next hundred.

So, instead, I could pay £100 into a UK paypal account, transfer that to Canadian Paypal account and transfer that to Canadian bank?

But what exchange rate is used between paypal accounts?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold

Yes. It's totally free the British side, I pay about 50 cents to transfer $250 from my husbands PayPal to mine. I guess it would be similar the others way round? Exchange rate decent, a bit less than what you get in a bank I think.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmab1979
Yes. It's totally free the British side, I pay about 50 cents to transfer $250 from my husbands PayPal to mine. I guess it would be similar the others way round? Exchange rate decent, a bit less than what you get in a bank I think.
Interesting.

I might experiment with doing one by bank machine and one by paypal and see how it compares.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Aviator
Check out these guys
Payso - Send and receive money from your phone quickly and securely

They are based in Vancouver
Thanks, i'll check them out as well, as there is some uncertainty as to whether or not paypal will work for me on the Malta end, since the banks there do not support directly linking the bank account to the paypal account as the Canadian/British ones do, so instead I link the Maltese debit card, which is a special form of "visa electron" debit card (whatever that means, it looks similar to my RBC Virtual Visa Debit) , and i'm not sure if it will work or not. So good to keep other options in mind. The other two that not2old linked above were just as expensive as the bank so i will not bother with them. (but thanks anyways!)

Edit: Payso currently only works for domestic transfers within Canada unfortunately.

Hi Gozit,

Cheers Hopefully it works like that for me (see above)

Last edited by Gozit; Aug 16th 2015 at 2:36 pm. Reason: payso canada only
Old Sep 4th 2015, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just as an update: Got the Visa electron in the mail back home, nanna sent me the number and security PIN and I added it to my Maltese paypal, it was confirmed, and as a test I transferred 17 Euro. Paypal charged a 2 Euro fee so I ended up with 15 Euro into my bank account. Not bad

So just in summary, what I did was

-Create 2 paypal accounts, one Cdn, one Maltese
-Link Cdn bank account to Cdn paypal and Maltese visa debit to Maltese paypal
-Send 17 Euro ($25 or so) from Cdn paypal to Maltese paypal
-Log out of Cdn paypal, log into Maltese
-"Withdraw" 17 Euro from Maltese paypal to Maltese visa debit card
-Paypal charges 2 Euro fee, and 3 business days later I check my online banking for the Maltese account and the 15 Euros were there.

So this is a viable option for me to transfer 100-200 euro a month across...

Cheers guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.