Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Improving credit for car lease?

Improving credit for car lease?

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Improving credit for car lease?

I've been here for 5 months - have a credit card etc that I am handling well in order to build a favorable credit rating.

I'm trying to get a car lease ($340 a month) and am being refused due to my virtually non-existent Canadian credit rating. I could use a co-signer, but don't have anyone here who can.

Is there any way to improve my credit score quickly, or do I just need to sit out for a few years and wait for it to improve?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Improving credit for car lease?

Hmm, did they not offer any alternatives like an additional security deposit or anything like that?

Improving your credit rating does usually just take getting a secured credit card or secured line of credit and waiting unfortunately.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:13 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by jameswales
I've been here for 5 months - have a credit card etc that I am handling well in order to build a favorable credit rating.

I'm trying to get a car lease ($340 a month) and am being refused due to my virtually non-existent Canadian credit rating. I could use a co-signer, but don't have anyone here who can.

Is there any way to improve my credit score quickly, or do I just need to sit out for a few years and wait for it to improve?
Check with ScotiaBank they are supposed to have a special car loan for new immigrants where you have to have a larger downpayment.

http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/conten....html#autoLoan
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Very strange. I was here a month on a work permit and managed without much query to lease a brand new Mazda CX7 for about $600 I think straight from the dealer with a $1000 down.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Very strange. I was here a month on a work permit and managed without much query to lease a brand new Mazda CX7 for about $600 I think straight from the dealer with a $1000 down.
If this was pre shtf in 2008 then it's not really comparable. Credit market is different innit.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

We managed to lease a car within a week of getting here in march 2008 with no money down and I was on a twp. They must have really tightened up since then!! I hated having to lease and would rather have bought but it was the only option available to us then.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sinurt
We managed to lease a car within a week of getting here in march 2008 with no money down and I was on a twp. They must have really tightened up since then!! I hated having to lease and would rather have bought but it was the only option available to us then.
We arrived in May 2010 and got offered a car lease sraight away. We are on a 2 year TWP, so they were only happy to give us the lease over 2 years so payments are steep, but at least we got something!
Good luck!