Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I'm frustrated, and I need medical insurance.

I'm frustrated, and I need medical insurance.

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Nevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really nice
Default I'm frustrated, and I need medical insurance.

After almost six months as a visitor in Ontario with my Canadian fiance we were finally married here at the weekend (I have been granted an extension as a visitor). Spousal sponsorship papers all completed, medical done, police check done, just get a copy of the marriage certificate and the lot can go off to Missisauga (we are going the outside Canada application route). My frustration is that I have just discovered it takes 6-8 weeks for the marriage to be registered and until then I can't apply for a certificate. CIC have confirmed that it would not be acceptable to initially send a copy of the Record of Marriage, with the certificate sent at a later date. The Registrar General's office won't fast-track the marriage registration unless I get a letter from immigration, which I can't do 'cos we haven't applied yet.... I just want to get PR so I can work, and it already feels that obstacles are piling up and we haven't even sent the damn thing off yet!

My travel health insurance expires on 6 December so I need to get cover until PR is granted - I have been looking online at various insurances but wonder if anyone has any advice on a good/reasonably priced insurance?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm frustrated, and I need medical insurance.

Firstly Congratulations!

Patience, it will all fall into place in the end, if its any consolation at least you are on a faster train than most of the folks coming over.

Not sure if it helps, but there is a list of providers of coverage here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...edicare_starts
Canadasure seem to get positive feedback here from time to time, but shop around.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that CIC told you the Record of Solemnization of Marriage issued at the time of the wedding wasn't acceptable - that is exactly what I sent to them (with a copy of the official registration when it arrived). Bear in mind it will take a few weeks before they open your file, so it may be worth your while doing it anyway.

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:32 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
I find it strange that CIC told you the Record of Solemnization of Marriage issued at the time of the wedding wasn't acceptable - that is exactly what I sent to them (with a copy of the official registration when it arrived). Bear in mind it will take a few weeks before they open your file, so it may be worth your while doing it anyway.

I have sent these in before as well - they just request the actual marriage cert when they need it.

Don't let this hold up your application - if everything else is good to go - send it in.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Nevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really nice

Thanks all. I will risk sending the record of marriage and hope for the best.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you put a note with it stating that you will send the registered marriage certificate once it is received.. you should be fine.