Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So you will be the main breadwinner and can get a job anywhere in Canada once you have PR and wait for your wife to get registered? It's hard to suggest areas when you feel like you're having to prise relevant information out of people..

Just to add... Having PR doesn't help in any way get registered, it just means you can look for other work while you wait and wait and wait. Plus I guess you're on hand for all the relevant extra courses required.
Im confused. Why do you feel the need to 'prise information' from me / us?

As I said earlier, the thread is to generate ideas for possible locations for my wife and I to research, based on peoples preferences / opinion on what would be their ideal place to live...
It was intended to be good humoured and not to take too seriously. Although as I have said previously, IF a location pops up by someone's suggestion then great.

I am also aware getting PR doesn't help getting registered, cant remember stating that was the case..
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Originally Posted by not2old
was it you then with the husband who is a GP?

Hows it going in Bracebridge?
It's ok... It's maybe a bit too small town for me. Husband likes it though- more autonomous in his workload. I was asking about missing friends- was it worth it? For me not really.. Although I appreciate what it's offered us.

To the op... Do you really not to see how your work is relevant to where you choose to live?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

about a year ago there was the wife of a medical doctor coming in from the UK asking many of the same questions as the OP.

I believe they ended up in Bracebridge in January - that was due to the nature or fact that is where the job.was.

OP, Ontario is a large province & we as Brits are scattered all over it, as well as spread across Canada.

If you are thinking about living in the GTA, its an area of 7,124 km² & in 2011 it had a population of 6,054,191, with the census metropolitan area having a population of 5,583,064.
Eh... Yeah it is. been a few times...

Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla

As I said earlier, the thread is to generate ideas for possible locations for my wife and I to research, based on peoples preferences / opinion on what would be their ideal place to live...
It was intended to be good humoured and not to take too seriously. Although as I have said previously, IF a location pops up by someone's suggestion then great.

I am also aware getting PR doesn't help getting registered, cant remember stating that was the case..
Ah, well in that case, if practicality is not important... Timmins? Sault Ste Marie? Thunder Bay? Kenata? You do realise, presumably, that Ontario is quite a big place - that to drive non-stop from west to east would take the best part of 24 hours if you don't hit traffic or snow?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if all other practical considerations are off the table, a significant proportion of the population of Ontario would not live in Ontario. I certainly wouldn't be in Oakville (or Burlington, and absolutely not Barrie). I mean, don't get me wrong, I like living where I do given the limitations of circumstance, it's a reasonable compromise despite dbd's cynically warped view of suburbia, but with a completely free choice I'd probably be somewhere in an arc from Salzburg to Lyon - maybe a village outside Mulhouse, just on the German side of the border.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

I think after they got a belly full of flack from the BE welcoming committee, she never posted again & yes somewhere there is a post they made it to Bracebridge .... in winter of all times to emigrate
Don't blame her lol.

Acts and Sad are the words that come to mind.. Not necessarily in that order if you cant break my code

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 14th 2014 at 8:16 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

It's ok... It's maybe a bit too small town for me. Husband likes it though- more autonomous in his workload. I was asking about missing friends- was it worth it? For me not really.. Although I appreciate what it's offered us.

To the op... Do you really not to see how your work is relevant to where you choose to live?
Geez. Eh I know it is paramount to the whole potential migration!!
To the point where we have even agreed that we might not even do it should we not secure decent jobs.. Not nowadays with two young children to consider.

When did I imply that it wasn't ??

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 14th 2014 at 8:16 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

your reply above to Post #47....BE & its members are a wealth of information - we do serious, funny & sense of humour, well at least some do, perhaps not me so much.

From the OP post asking for information & in return we on BE the biggest supporters of 'wannabe immigrants' cannot ask you questions? I did not take post#47 as prying. But hey, everyone is an individual.

Most all of BE are immigrants & some, like me have been here long before you were born with many had to tough road of it... blah blah blah

You will find many a post from those looking to emigrate who fish for information (tyre or curb kickers I call them) without sharing or providing just the slightest of further information that would allow the BE members to really help.

If you want to ask 'where is best' & not allow us to ask you questions to help you further, then I guess you are just another 'curb kicker' IMO

Last edited by not2old; Nov 14th 2014 at 8:36 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Actually she doesn't need PR to jump through those hoops. Good that she doesn't have to be registered straight away though, it'll take a year or two of waiting and hoop jumping judging from recent posts, so factor that in.

Plenty of posts on nursing registration in ON if you search the forums. TiryTory's currently going through the process, so I'm sure she'll advise on the length of time and cost for getting registered in ON.

HTH.
Im actually glad you've posted, I was wondering whether you had seen my thread regarding my passport expiring during fsw application in process at visa office?

You usually seem quick to respond to such queries.. so hope you can help?
(I know this is detouring off this thread's topic but hey, everyone else seems to do it!.. )
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Geez. Eh I know it is paramount to the whole potential migration!! To the point where we have even agreed that we might not even do it should we not secure decent jobs.. Not nowadays with two young children to consider.
Just curious to know - how will you secure jobs before you emigrate to Canada?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

It's ok... It's maybe a bit too small town for me. Husband likes it though- more autonomous in his workload. I was asking about missing friends- was it worth it? For me not really.. Although I appreciate what it's offered us

Pleased to read your post & trust life in the boonies continues to work for you both.

Now that you've experienced it, are you planning to be in Canada for a number of years?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Our lives and choices are based on our circumstances and preferences.

If you want to get the best out of what is (despite initial impressions sometimes) a pretty amazing resource of a bunch of people who either have gone through, or are going through what you want to subject yourself to, and still want to take the time to help a total stranger, then you will get much more relevant and useful answers if you share what your preferences and objectives are. As resources go for realistic advice from people who have walked the walk and have nothing to gain by blowing smoke up your arse, its pretty hard to beat.

Garbage in, Garbage out applies here as much as anywhere.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 14th 2014 at 9:08 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

your reply above to Post #47....BE & its members are a wealth of information - we do serious, funny & sense of humour, well at least some do, perhaps not me so much.

From the OP post asking for information & in return we on BE the biggest supporters of 'wannabe immigrants' cannot ask you questions? I did not take post#47 as prying. But hey, everyone is an individual.

Most all of BE are immigrants & some, like me have been here long before you were born with many had to tough road of it... blah blah blah

You will find many a post from those looking to emigrate who fish for information (tyre or curb kickers I call them) without sharing or providing just the slightest of further information that would allow the BE members to really help.

If you want to ask 'where is best' & not allow us to ask you questions to help you further, then I guess you are just another 'curb kicker' IMO
Ok. I did not say anyone was prying? tirytory stated they had to 'prise' info out.. I asked why they felt they had to

Nor do I mind well intentioned people asking questions. Id be glad to give any info to anyone who feels they need it on order to give us a point in the right direction.

I'll point out again, and as I said earlier, the thread was to generate ideas for possible locations for my wife and I to research, based on peoples preferences / opinion on what would be their ideal place to live...

The way the question is worded, I don't feel there should be a need to know things like "so you will be the main breadwinner"... "are you male or female"

True, expat CAN be a great source of information as you pointed out. But I am sure you also know, some 'members' cant help but 'do' sarcastic , patronising and negative. But hey, Im big and ugly enough to take it.
Just hate wasting my time... Obviously some people have more of it than others..

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 14th 2014 at 9:19 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Just curious to know - how will you secure jobs before you emigrate to Canada?
By sending emails, filling in applications, maybe a few phonecalls, which will hopefully lead to an interview in Canada which will require us getting on a plane and carrying out a recce trip at the same time.

If that fails. We'll back our bags, and the kids i suppose. Get on a plane, go over with a bit ofsavings. And chap on doors.. Basically wing it! Lol

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 14th 2014 at 9:27 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

True, expat CAN be a great source of information as you pointed out.

But I am sure you also know, some 'members' cant help but 'do' sarcastic , patronising and negative.

But hey, Im big and ugly enough to take it.

Just hate wasting my time... Obviously some people have more of it than others..
makes you wonder doesn't it.....

BTW, have you received any valuable information from BE members that has helped you?

I'm bored ...time for a nap
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Just hate wasting my time...
Us too. Help us to help you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.