Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
None of the above. So far our favourite location is the Niagara Parkway -anywhere along therd please and thank you. Also loved Port Dover and enjoyed the Flesherton area. Coupke of more reccies to go before we truly decide
Are you currently in alberta? Why are you looking to relocate to ontario if you don't mind me asking?

Our next 'choice' is alberta..
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla
Ha. Nah mate, using my wife's account.
You seem to use her account quite a bit, it would be a lot less confusing for people if you maybe signed up with your own? Just a thought anyway.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:49 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

No that's not 'the choice' just chose those to start off.

What would be your choice (from all of canada?)
Right. We now have the sexuality issue sorted!

Why would you particularly want to move to Ontario in the first place?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, that kind of garage! I had pictured you in the house garage changing the oil in the lawn tractor while typing with slimy fingers. I feared for your mouse.

No that's not 'the choice' just chose those to start off.

Get my hands dirty? I don't think so

From all of Canada....seriously? You must have reasons to narrow it down already in place? But climate and work and ability to work are two great decision makers..
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Get my hands dirty? I don't think so

From all of Canada....seriously? You must have reasons to narrow it down already in place? But climate and work and ability to work are two great decision makers..
Yep. Work options. Ontario has larger populated areas. Equals more work opportunities for us both.

So back to the 'fun' game of choosing ANYWHERE in Ontario or Canada that, in your wildest dreams, your most ideal location to live with your family... Where would it be?

Feel free to ignore this thread if this doesn't seem fun!

i.e. No need to p*ss on people's parades , it's the start of some very basic planning / researching.
Cheers

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 14th 2014 at 3:09 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:15 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Work options. Ontario has larger populated areas. Equals more work opportunities for us both.

So back to the 'fun' game of choosing ANYWHERE in Ontario or Canada that, in your wildest dreams, your most ideal location to live with your family... Where would it be?

Feel free to ignore this thread if this doesn't seem fun!

i.e. No need to p*ss on people's parades , it's the start of some very basic planning / researching.
Cheers
My ideal would probably be a large, old house with a yard and shed/garage inside the walls of Old Quebec. That is probably not going to happen. I don't think such things exist. If they do, they would be obscenely expensive to purchase.

Failing that, you could give me the same in Old Montreal or Old Halifax.

Bit of a theme developing here...............
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvy
Right. We now have the sexuality issue sorted!

Why would you particularly want to move to Ontario in the first place?
On the surface, it seems to have many regions which ultimately / hopefully will provide job opportunities. Toronto is also a little more accessible (than BC) for flights from UK , for family visits.

The reason for my somewhat random 3 choices, well.
Barrie = close to wasaga beach where my wife has distant family.
Oakville + Burlington = been recommended and some online polls they rank fairly high..

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 14th 2014 at 3:32 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on work and hobbies... I work from home, so we were able to choose anywhere we liked as long as it had a fast internet connection! We enjoy small-town living (though head to Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal for a bit of culture every few weeks) drinking good local wine, eating good local food (at home and at restaurants) and sitting on huge sand dunes looking at the lake in summer. So we settled in Prince Edward County and love it. Ottawa would be our second choice (though the winters are a bit nastier). And we lived in London for 6 months and enjoyed it far more than expected - major downside was that it's not very close to anywhere else of interest to us.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:31 pm
Slob

On the surface, it seems to have many regions which ultimately / hopefully will provide job opportunities. Toronto is also a little more accessible (than BC) for flights from UK , for family visits.

The reason for my somewhat random 3 choices, well.
Barrie = close to wasaga beach where my wife has distant family.
Oakville + Burlington. Been recommended and some online polls they rank fairly high..
Oakville and Burlington would. They are two of the wealthiest towns/cities in the country.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Collie
I guess it all depends on work and hobbies... I work from home, so we were able to choose anywhere we liked as long as it had a fast internet connection! We enjoy small-town living (though head to Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal for a bit of culture every few weeks) drinking good local wine, eating good local food (at home and at restaurants) and sitting on huge sand dunes looking at the lake in summer. So we settled in Prince Edward County and love it. Ottawa would be our second choice (though the winters are a bit nastier). And we lived in London for 6 months and enjoyed it far more than expected - major downside was that it's not very close to anywhere else of interest to us.
Great post thanks. Exactly what we were looking for. From this we now have somewhere else to look into!

We also like the small town feel of living, but would like to be near a large city to utilise all the benefits of that. We would also like to be closed to the outdoors, camping/hiking/biking/lakes etc.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I do have my choice, and I choose none of the above. Oakville's a bit more snob but, assuming a house budget of $500,000 or so, they're pretty much identikit suburbs. If that's the choice I think I'd skip the emigration altogether and move to Milton Keynes; it's much the same but nearer to relatives and friends and the concrete cows lend it a wit lacking in the tracts listed.

I note that you post as a female and mention a wife. Barrie is the more redneck of those towns so, if those are the circumstances, I'd put the other choices ahead of it.
So where in sunny ontario are you mate? You found your little oasis and keeping it all to yourself?
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a huge fan of Canada so I suppose I'll just tag along to wherever. I do rather like Cape Breton but also valued the convenience of living opposite Scotland Yard.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:57 pm
Slob

Great post thanks. Exactly what we were looking for. From this we now have somewhere else to look into!

We also like the small town feel of living, but would like to be near a large city to utilise all the benefits of that. We would also like to be closed to the outdoors, camping/hiking/biking/lakes etc.
Ottawa would probably tick most/all of your boxes.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Much depends on your work situation, lifestyle and personal preferences.

I would choose Toronto - as close to downtown as possible and certainly near a subway station. I lived there for 7 years and still miss it. Still go back several times a year. I'm a big sports fan so I'd be at NHL, CFL, MLS, MLB and NBA games. I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan so they would be within driving distance too. There's lots to see and do in the GTA and it's a great place to raise a family. Biggest problem is transit. The city just has not invested in enough rail infrastructure (subway and overground rail) and so the traffic has become increasingly horrendous - much worse than when I last lived there in 1996. So living within a decent commute of work is important.

Ottawa might be another choice but it would be a step down from Toronto in terms of nightlife and entertainment. Still a great place to raise a family plus easier access to Montreal & the rest of Quebec.

Kingston is another place I like. The Thousand Islands region is beautiful.

My daughter lives in London, Ontario. It's OK but not terribly exciting.

I have a friend who lives in Cobourg. He likes it there.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:22 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Much depends on your work situation, lifestyle and personal preferences.

I would choose Toronto - as close to downtown as possible and certainly near a subway station. I lived there for 7 years and still miss it. Still go back several times a year. I'm a big sports fan so I'd be at NHL, CFL, MLS, MLB and NBA games. I'm also a Buffalo Bills fan so they would be within driving distance too. There's lots to see and do in the GTA and it's a great place to raise a family. Biggest problem is transit. The city just has not invested in enough rail infrastructure (subway and overground rail) and so the traffic has become increasingly horrendous - much worse than when I last lived there in 1996. So living within a decent commute of work is important.

Ottawa might be another choice but it would be a step down from Toronto in terms of nightlife and entertainment. Still a great place to raise a family plus easier access to Montreal & the rest of Quebec.

Kingston is another place I like. The Thousand Islands region is beautiful.

My daughter lives in London, Ontario. It's OK but not terribly exciting.

I have a friend who lives in Cobourg. He likes it there.
Not a dig at you but I'm going to pick up on a point here because it is something that seems to come up quite often.

How important, really, is nightlife and entertainment? Not very, I'd say, unless you are in your 20s and like to party a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.