Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

Hi all,

As the title says.

I'll start off...

Oakville
Burlington
Barrie

These choices are part internet research, part advice, part gut feeling lol.

People's preferences would be interesting to hear, it would also help my wife and I try and narrow down our search to possibly a new home
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

I do have my choice, and I choose none of the above. Oakville's a bit more snob but, assuming a house budget of $500,000 or so, they're pretty much identikit suburbs. If that's the choice I think I'd skip the emigration altogether and move to Milton Keynes; it's much the same but nearer to relatives and friends and the concrete cows lend it a wit lacking in the tracts listed.

I note that you post as a female and mention a wife. Barrie is the more redneck of those towns so, if those are the circumstances, I'd put the other choices ahead of it.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 14th 2014 at 12:29 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:44 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had your pick of locations in Ontario... Where would you choose to live??

That's a bit of an open question. If your work doesn't tie you to somewhere in the GTA, move further afield, and save a fortune!

I'd be very tempted by Port Dover, just because of the biker links.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Rainy River
Old Nov 14th 2014, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Id stay right where I am, only Id be in a waterfront property.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I do have my choice, and I choose none of the above. Oakville's a bit more snob but, assuming a house budget of $500,000 or so, they're pretty much identikit suburbs. If that's the choice I think I'd skip the emigration altogether and move to Milton Keynes; it's much the same but nearer to relatives and friends and the concrete cows lend it a wit lacking in the tracts listed.

I note that you post as a female and mention a wife. Barrie is the more redneck of those towns so, if those are the circumstances, I'd put the other choices ahead of it.
Burlington and Oakville are pretty much the same place. Less redneck that Barrie, I imagine, but probably no less tolerant of same-gender arrangements.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, it depends on several factors that include work or retired & how much money we have.

Retired it would be .... 'I need to look deeper into this' post 3 came close, as did post 5. A close to the waterfront, as well as within 15 - 30 minutes to the US border would be nice.

Definitely away from any snow belts or where the power outages always occur.

Not retired, it would be where the work is within an hour (max) commute

Last edited by not2old; Nov 14th 2014 at 1:15 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Burlington and Oakville are pretty much the same place. Less redneck that Barrie, I imagine, but probably no less tolerant of same-gender arrangements.
Agreed that it's splitting hairs to choose between these "places". (Quotes because a housing estate isn't really a place, it's just boxes people visit to sleep).

I assume the original post is based on the misapprension that the locations listed are within a reasonable commute of Toronto. Obviously people do commute from Oakville, the highway is jammed with them during daylight hours and part of the night, and some even commute from Barrie. Long commutes, up to 2 hours each way, are common, almost usual, around Toronto (the average among the "locals" of the team I work in is 90 minutes). But, what life do you have to be leaving to make that better than where you are?

If work is in Toronto, I'd rent in Toronto, only considering moving to some godforsaken griege siding project when I felt an overwhelming desire to spend half my waking hours sitting in some Asian shitbox listening to relentless adverts.

But then I'm not keen on suburbs, or Toyotas, or Canadian radio.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:47 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

DBd that made me laugh out loud in the garage.... I can't remember which one is the nurse but I think it's the same male/female couple and using the same account!!

Anyway in which case you need to go where you can get jobs and the cost of living isn't exorbitantantly expensive in comparison.

Sorry if you're not the nursing poster!!!

Last edited by Tirytory; Nov 14th 2014 at 2:02 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:58 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed that it's splitting hairs to choose between these "places". (Quotes because a housing estate isn't really a place, it's just boxes people visit to sleep).

I assume the original post is based on the misapprension that the locations listed are within a reasonable commute of Toronto. Obviously people do commute from Oakville, the highway is jammed with them during daylight hours and part of the night, and some even commute from Barrie. Long commutes, up to 2 hours each way, are common, almost usual, around Toronto (the average among the "locals" of the team I work in is 90 minutes). But, what life do you have to be leaving to make that better than where you are?

If work is in Toronto, I'd rent in Toronto, only considering moving to some godforsaken griege siding project when I felt an overwhelming desire to spend half my waking hours sitting in some Asian shitbox listening to relentless adverts.

But then I'm not keen on suburbs, or Toyotas, or Canadian radio.
You only have to put up with Cancon. I have to put up with Quebcon. Some of the singers/bands here would much rather release stuff in English because it broadens their market. A number have adopted the practice of having lyrics in both languages, with just the right legal balance between the two.

I think I drifted a bit there.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:10 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaylawayla
Hi all,

As the title says.

I'll start off...

Oakville
Burlington
Barrie

These choices are part internet research, part advice, part gut feeling lol.

People's preferences would be interesting to hear, it would also help my wife and I try and narrow down our search to possibly a new home
None of the above. So far our favourite location is the Niagara Parkway -anywhere along therd please and thank you. Also loved Port Dover and enjoyed the Flesherton area. Coupke of more reccies to go before we truly decide
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tirytory
DBd that made me laugh out loud in the garage.... I can't remember which one is the nurse but I think it's the same male/female couple and using the same account!!!
Oh, so they'll be wanting to kill animals then. Barrie's better for that and it has a lake for pontoon boating.

I'm glad to have made you laugh but I do wonder what level of geekery has you interneting while installing the winter tyres.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 14th 2014 at 2:30 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so they'll be wanting to kill animals then. Barrie's better for that and it has a lake for pontoon boating.

I'm glad to have made you laugh but I do wonder what level of geekery has you interneting while installing the winter tyres.
Well the ford garage has wifi and I'm bored! I could watch something I've downloaded off iplayer but instead I'm unsatisfactorily flicking between organising my Quebec trip, reading my book, and expatting!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Well the ford garage has wifi and I'm bored! I could watch something I've downloaded off iplayer but instead I'm unsatisfactorily flicking between organising my Quebec trip, reading my book, and expatting!
Oh, that kind of garage! I had pictured you in the house garage changing the oil in the lawn tractor while typing with slimy fingers. I feared for your mouse.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha. Nah mate, using my wife's account.

No that's not 'the choice' just chose those to start off.

What would be your choice (from all of canada?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.