Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IEC - UK Ltd. Contractor Moving to Canada

IEC - UK Ltd. Contractor Moving to Canada

Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC - UK Ltd. Contractor Moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you want to leach off our services and avoid paying tax, go work in the US and skip coming to Canada. Give someone who really wants to make a go of the the opportunity.
I am not trying to avoid paying tax, I am trying to understand to whom I pay tax to. I feel like you are not understanding the thread.

Last edited by Enigma368; Feb 7th 2016 at 1:32 am.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I employ around 25 IEC visa holders each year. Sometimes they ask to be paid in cash, to avoid Canadian taxes. I politely tell them to f@@k off back home.

Who the hell is giving you that advice?
"In practical terms, for very short assignments, you can keep your UK company. For periods of up to six months, while you are technically liable for tax where you are working, the authorities won't really be able to catch up with you if you continue paying tax at home. So long as you pay tax in the UK on that earned income you will be effectively within the law."
ContractorCalculator.co.uk

Its not exactly my situation as I *may* need to stay slightly longer than 6 months but I also may not. BTW the example you give is not relevant to my situation or this thread as it is of people who want to avoid paying any tax in any country. I am not in no way trying to avoid paying tax, ultimately I pay roughly the same tax wherever I pay it, its just a matter of keeping things simple, and legal, for what is a very short period. I am seeking professional advice on this.

Last edited by Enigma368; Feb 7th 2016 at 1:35 am.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I mean legally I should yes, but the advice seems to be for that short a period, to just continue paying UK tax and they wont even notice.
Maybe this is the bit that was confusing?

"In practical terms, for very short assignments, you can keep your UK company. For periods of up to six months, while you are technically liable for tax where you are working, the authorities won't really be able to catch up with you if you continue paying tax at home. So long as you pay tax in the UK on that earned income you will be effectively within the law."
The link posted above does not apply to Canadian tax rules. If you are a tax resident of Canada (this is determined by CRA not you) then you are liable for tax on your worldwide income. Where a tax treaty exists you can claim any tax paid in the UK against Canadian tax liability if you get a certificate of tax paid from the company.

Determining your residency status
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Maybe this is the bit that was confusing?
Ok well if you read it again you will see that I am very clearly stating that there is advice online from some "reputable" sources that suggests for very short periods, while one may technically and legally be liable for tax while residing temporarily in a foreign country, continuing to pay tax in the UK will neither be noticed or considered a big deal. You may feel this is terrible advice, or you may think this is a black and white issue, which is fine, I am just saying that is the advice from some sources. Ultimately I am going to pay the same amount of tax wherever I pay it, more or less, so I am not going to gain anything financially regardless. Accusing me of wanting to "leach" off the system as if I am trying to avoid paying tax completely is misinterpreting the thread and my intentions.

I will seek professional advice on my specific situation and will follow that.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 4:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well if you read it again you will see that I am very clearly stating that there is advice online from some "reputable" sources that suggests for very short periods, while one may technically and legally be liable for tax while residing temporarily in a foreign country, continuing to pay tax in the UK will neither be noticed or considered a big deal. You may feel this is terrible advice, or you may think this is a black and white issue, which is fine, I am just saying that is the advice from some sources. Ultimately I am going to pay the same amount of tax wherever I pay it, more or less, so I am not going to gain anything financially regardless. Accusing me of wanting to "leach" off the system as if I am trying to avoid paying tax completely is misinterpreting the thread and my intentions.

I will seek professional advice on my specific situation and will follow that.
It is the bolded bit that causes other posters to wonder. If you are technically and legally liable for tax and don't report this then you are involved in tax evasion and no one is going to condone that.

A discussion of all the implications of the above would fill a book. Essentially, you need to clarify:

a) will the company create a permanent establishment in Canada. If it does, the PE will fall within the Canadian tax regime.
b) will you become tax-resident in Canada. If so, then your world-wide income will be taxable in Canada.

There is some guidance in the tax treaty Convention Between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but both of these questions are determined after a consideration of all the facts so we cannot offer certainties.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is the bolded bit that causes other posters to wonder. If you are technically and legally liable for tax and don't report this then you are involved in tax evasion and no one is going to condone that.
Yeah, fair enough. I repeated advice I read such as the quote below and, through my own poor choice of words, gave the implication that I was going to do this. This was my mistake. I should have more clearly asked whether this was good or bad advice and it seems the consensus is that it is bad advice. To be clear going forward, I intend to pay all taxes due in the correct jurisdiction and am seeking professional advice so that I can do this correctly.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
a) will the company create a permanent establishment in Canada. If it does, the PE will fall within the Canadian tax regime.
b) will you become tax-resident in Canada. If so, then your world-wide income will be taxable in Canada.

There is some guidance in the tax treaty Convention Between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but both of these questions are determined after a consideration of all the facts so we cannot offer certainties.
Yeah I need to find out whether I can keep my company in the UK and also at what point I will be considered Canadian tax resident.

Last edited by Enigma368; Feb 7th 2016 at 11:45 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That is UK law though. If the corporation is a UK company UK tax law applies to the UK corporation. It doe snot extend to employees living in Canada and being tax resident of Canada who are subject to Canadian tax laws. One should not rely on CRA not catching up with them.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

That is UK law though. If the corporation is a UK company UK tax law applies to the UK corporation. It doe snot extend to employees living in Canada and being tax resident of Canada who are subject to Canadian tax laws. One should not rely on CRA not catching up with them.
Ultimately this is all very complicated.

I wonder if I can take sufficient dividends from my company before moving to Canada, and live solely on that while in Canada. If I draw the dividends while still a UK tax resident, then that is subject to UK tax law right? Equally, if I do not draw any salary or dividends while living in Canada, then I have no income earned during that period to pay Canadian tax on?

I suspect I am probably looking at this too simplistically...
Old Feb 8th 2016, 1:05 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if I can take sufficient dividends from my company before moving to Canada, and live solely on that while in Canada. If I draw the dividends while still a UK tax resident, then that is subject to UK tax law right? Equally, if I do not draw any salary or dividends while living in Canada, then I have no income earned during that period to pay Canadian tax on?

I suspect I am probably looking at this too simplistically...
I don't think so. This sounds like a plan for your personal income.

For the company the question is if it has a PE in Canada. You can see what the Canada Revenue Agency think here Meaning of Permanent Establishment in Subsection 123(1) of the Excise Tax Act (the Act). In particular, look at the paragraph headed Continuity and permanency.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

NT

Last edited by Enigma368; Feb 8th 2016 at 2:15 am.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

My guess- National Trust.....

I love the way you had to edit this.... What did you put initially?? NB, BS, PO?