Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I need the joy of learning how CAD income tax works!

I need the joy of learning how CAD income tax works!

Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need the joy of learning how CAD income tax works!

It is a bit cumbersome at first but you get used to it. My return is straightforward - plug in the info on my T4 and T5 and RRSP contributions, charitable donations email and 2-3 weeks later get a cheuqe in the mail.

I imagine there are a couple of bits and bobs I could claim but cant be bothered figuring out. The whole process is about a half hour at best. When you consider how many more rebates there are compared to the UK, espcially RRSP's its worth it in my mind, even monthly transit passes are deductable.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
It is a bit cumbersome at first but you get used to it. My return is straightforward - plug in the info on my T4 and T5 and RRSP contributions, charitable donations email and 2-3 weeks later get a cheuqe in the mail.

I imagine there are a couple of bits and bobs I could claim but cant be bothered figuring out. The whole process is about a half hour at best. When you consider how many more rebates there are compared to the UK, espcially RRSP's its worth it in my mind, even monthly transit passes are deductable.
Pension contributions are deductible in the UK as well
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Pension contributions are deductible in the UK as well
Did n't know that...what are they called?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Did n't know that...what are they called?
Actually I think they are called just that. Pension Contributions.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Actually I think they are called just that. Pension Contributions.
Do they work the same as RRSP's?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they work the same as RRSP's?
Not exactly sure - there are probably some technical differences. They are similar in that you can contribute a certain percentage of your income tax free into a pension plan, I think in the UK that this percentage goes up as you get older - not sure about here. The last plan I had in the UK was a 4%/7% split between employee/employer contribution. The 4% was taken before tax, so membership was kind of a no-brainer.

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 20th 2010 at 6:15 pm.