Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how to watch top gear...

how to watch top gear...

Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to watch top gear...

Originally Posted by Animal
I have an Apple TV and jailbroke it and would recommend that to anyone. Install XBMC (I can send you links if you wanted) and then you can miss out any conversion step and just watch it on a live stream through your ATV - as you put it - VERY

I also had a Raspberry Pi delivered over the weekend which is a small computer for $35 that you can also install XBMC on and watch live streams from the UK, CA, Hockey etc on your normal TV. I've not set it up properly yet but good for what I've done so far.
I would appreciate any/all links as I am about to attempt this with an Apple TV 2 box

Am I correct in saying that - at this minute in time - only the second version can be jailbroken and version three cannot (yet.....)?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I would appreciate any/all links as I am about to attempt this with an Apple TV 2 box

Am I correct in saying that - at this minute in time - only the second version can be jailbroken and version three cannot (yet.....)?
I did some googling about this earlier. You are correct, but the method for ATV3 is said to have a Feb 1st release date.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I did some googling about this earlier. You are correct, but the method for ATV3 is said to have a Feb 1st release date.
Interesting......
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:30 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

sorry me again, idiots guide here please. i have downloaded the file, i have found a free torrent viewer, which has finished downloading and is now seeding (? means uploading the same content again right? ) how do i stop it seeding and just watch the damn thing it is supposed to be saving to a destination folder so i know where to look for it and it said it was done but its not clickable to actually watch. ive spent all day on this and getting seriously with it now.
lets assume i know nothing, can anyone point me to a simple list of what to do and how.

thanks
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by __TJ__
sorry me again, idiots guide here please. i have downloaded the file, i have found a free torrent viewer, which has finished downloading and is now seeding (? means uploading the same content again right? ) how do i stop it seeding and just watch the damn thing it is supposed to be saving to a destination folder so i know where to look for it and it said it was done but its not clickable to actually watch. ive spent all day on this and getting seriously with it now.
lets assume i know nothing, can anyone point me to a simple list of what to do and how.

thanks
You need to click on the downloaded torrent file and find the file folder (will have a video file, which will be the biggest file and possibly some other things like a .jpg file which will be the DVD screen cover), copy this to somewhere on your computer (My Documents, Desktop, wherever)

I use "VLC" to play most things as it covers most formats - I simply open it and drag the (big) video file (.MKV or .MP4 or .AVI or similar) from the new folder that you`ve just created into VLC and voila

To delete the torrent file highlight the download link in your chosen torrent program and right click, you should see an option to "Remove all files" and its gone - be sure to have saved it somewhere else on your computer first though

HTH
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__

thanks
See this is why i wait, its all just too confusing
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
See this is why i wait, its all just too confusing
And why - in this case - I would click BBC2 and watch live.

I have the advantage with a not too bad time difference, but as an example of alternatives, I'm currently watching Channel's Utopia by downloading/watching the next day without any of these things. No special equipment, no subscriptions, just my laptop and 5-10 minutes to save from a very good streaming site. One of many.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And why - in this case - I would click BBC2 and watch live.

I have the advantage with a not too bad time difference, but as an example of alternatives, I'm currently watching Channel's Utopia by downloading/watching the next day without any of these things. No special equipment, no subscriptions, just my laptop and 5-10 minutes to save from a very good streaming site. One of many.
Faffing, just cant be arsed, I will be arsed at some point when we get around to doing the netflix thing, ill do that when I can be arsed to spend time faffing
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Faffing, just cant be arsed, I will be arsed at some point when we get around to doing the netflix thing, ill do that when I can be arsed to spend time faffing

You spent more time writing that post than it would to convert a file and transfer to a media player or whatever you have

If you have one of the new TV's which connects to your home network , Then there's a little less faffing
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by kb33
You spent more time writing that post than it would to convert a file and transfer to a media player or whatever you have

If you have one of the new TV's which connects to your home network , Then there's a little less faffing
Yeah but I have to read how to do it, faff, read again, wait, faff. Whereas i know how to do this, no instructions required. And no I haven't got a new smart tv things, but I can attatch the computer to it
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Yeah but I have to read how to do it, faff, read again, wait, faff. Whereas i know how to do this, no instructions required. And no I haven't got a new smart tv things, but I can attatch the computer to it
So basically it's not faffing , Its you that can't be arsed to learn a few clicks of a mouse in the right order ?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kb33
So basically it's not faffing , Its you that can't be arsed to learn a few clicks of a mouse in the right order ?
Converting files is faffing. In this day and age you should expect media players do have the right codecs.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:42 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It works fine for me on both a mac and a PC and I get the advantage of browsing and youtube or whatever else is on the internet. As opposed to converting file formats and copying, which are not my definition of "it just works", more "it works if I do some faffing about" but each to their own.

If you're an apple guy, a mac mini will do you (if you don't mind squinting at the font). Add one of these these and you can do all your surfing from the couch.

My logitech wireless keyboard was 30 bucks.

116?

The quality of football HD streaming through Sopcast now is unbelievable. 4000kbs, Oldham - Liverpoor over the weekend.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jan 29th 2013 at 4:47 am.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:26 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions

The ATV2 can be currently jailbroken but the ATV3 cannot. The latest jailbreak that is due out this Sunday that will jailbreak the latest firmwares (6.1) will still not work for the ATV3 and there is no sign of it being done soon unfortunately (Or I'd buy myself another one as the ATV2's for sale on Kijiji all have a stupid premium)

I'll drop you a PM with the links.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:27 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd be VERY interested if this is the case. The sites I know all say it isn't but will look again
(edit - Just had a good look and no Jailbreak for the Apple TV3 yet and none on the horizons.)

I cant remember the last time I coverted ANY video file. I have my system set up so it automatically downloads the latest episode of anything I want without having to touch the computer. The file is downloaded, they are renamed automatically, transferred to a seperate hard drive automatically, all the crap (jpeg's, .nfo's etc) deleted and ready to watch with all the commercials taken out. Normally within 30 minutes of it being shown on TV and without me having to actually do any seraching for new episodes / movies and the like.

I also have the option to watch it live on a stream (which I do for some things like sport etc) but prefer it this way as the ad's are taken out and I can watch it at my leisure with pause, rewind and the like.

It probably took me an hour to set it up like this but now it is - it's pretty damn good even though I say so myself - so much so the kids and wife know how to get to the things they want to watch without any faffing.

Last edited by Animal; Jan 29th 2013 at 1:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.