British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   how to watch top gear... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-watch-top-gear-785317/)

__TJ__ Jan 27th 2013 6:49 pm

how to watch top gear...

ive tried expat sheild but it hates XP on my laptop. the only thing we really miss from the uk i the new episodes of TG that start on BBC2 tonight. there is no scheduling info for it on BBC Canada ( we have telus)
anyone know how i can watch it, thanks.

kb33 Jan 27th 2013 6:53 pm

Re: how to watch top gear...

I use the www.thebox.bz if you pm me you're email addy I will send you an invite. Not sure what an invite does but I have nine to use :confused:

Old episodes here http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/18/

HGerchikov Jan 27th 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by __TJ__ (Post 10508785)
ive tried expat sheild but it hates XP on my laptop. the only thing we really miss from the uk i the new episodes of TG that start on BBC2 tonight. there is no scheduling info for it on BBC Canada ( we have telus)
anyone know how i can watch it, thanks.

My son watches on Netflix - I don't know how recent the episodes are but as he had never seen any in the UK it doesn't matter to him.

Piff Poff Jan 27th 2013 7:12 pm

They will be soon on bbc canada and repeated every second night....whats the hurry?

kb33 Jan 27th 2013 7:21 pm

Old episodes on Shaw this week have been from 2006 ! Most of the time I can watch UK stuff in real time . ie its shown at 7pm in the UK and I can watch it at 7pm here , Think thats kinda :cool:

SambaDeAmigo Jan 27th 2013 7:23 pm

You can download them using a TOR program from BBC iPlayer. They are downloadable (all BBC programs) as soon as they hit iPlayer

kb33 Jan 27th 2013 8:15 pm

Downloading tonights episode as I type !:thumbup:

BristolUK Jan 27th 2013 8:20 pm

Click the TV links on Firstrow or atdee

There are usually a few alternative streams for each one - just find one that works.

The first BBC2 link on firstrow is working as I post.

BristolUK Jan 27th 2013 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10508811)
They will be soon on bbc canada and repeated every second night....whats the hurry?

If Graham Norton on BBC Canada is anything to go by they could be 1 or 2 years behind.

kb33 Jan 27th 2013 8:40 pm

More like 7 or 8 years !

What I do is download the file then convert to Apple TV format with Handbrake copy to iTunes , Then watch on 50' TV thru Apple tv :thumbup:

Been doing this for years with no problems

Piff Poff Jan 27th 2013 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10508900)
If Graham Norton on BBC Canada is anything to go by they could be 1 or 2 years behind.

Depends on what episode they are showing, seeing as top gear and gn are on everynight it doesnt take long to cycle through them all, sick of both shows these days personally.

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2013 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10508918)
More like 7 or 8 years !

What I do is download the file then convert to Apple TV format with Handbrake copy to iTunes , Then watch on 50' TV thru Apple tv :thumbup:

Or just watch it through iplayer on a PC connected to the TV. None of this converting or copying faffing about.

kb33 Jan 27th 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 10509013)
Or just watch it through iplayer on a PC connected to the TV. None of this converting or copying faffing about.

Tried the I-player a few times without success , Im on a Mac but windows was no better . I could jailbreak the Apple TV and do it like that , But Im happy doing what I've been doing for years. It just works .

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2013 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10509023)
Tried the I-player a few times without success , Im on a Mac but windows was no better . I could jailbreak the Apple TV and do it like that , But Im happy doing what I've been doing for years. It just works .

It works fine for me on both a mac and a PC and I get the advantage of browsing and youtube or whatever else is on the internet. As opposed to converting file formats and copying, which are not my definition of "it just works", more "it works if I do some faffing about" but each to their own.

If you're an apple guy, a mac mini will do you (if you don't mind squinting at the font). Add one of these these and you can do all your surfing from the couch.

Novocastrian Jan 27th 2013 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10508918)
\

You've had a 50 foot TV for years? Do you live in the Skydome?