Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How safe is Canada?

How safe is Canada?

Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is Canada?

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
With all of this in mind, I'd rather not live somewhere under constant fear of something kicking off. I know nowhere is 100% safe, and there are all kinds of nutters out there. I'd just prefer it wasn't something we need to get used to again.
If you're the kind of person that would live in constant fear, then NZ may actually be the best place. There are more murders per capita in Canada than in the UK (and presumably a lot more than NZ), so would you live in fear of that?

I agree with el_richo that it shouldn't be something that you even worry about.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 20th 2015 at 8:25 am.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you're the kind of person that would live in constant fear, then NZ may actually be the best place. There are more murders per capita in Canada than in the UK (and presumably a lot more than NZ), so would you live in fear of that?

I agree with el_richo that it shouldn't be something that you even worry about.
We lived in NZ for quite a few years and the country is awesome in some ways. But we left for reasons we never foresaw when we first moved there or indeed got caught up in the Canterbury quakes, in Christchurch. Aside from our issues over the NZ housing market, one of the biggest factors driving our exit from the country is the very small economy and the negative effect the earthquakes have had on the higher end professional job market.

No, I'm not worried about the murder rates. Aside from differences in how crimes are recorded, the factors behind murder rates are usually regional or location dependant which a whole other load of factors being involved. Like any big city, we make a point of living in the safer areas and mitigate the risks. But you can't do that with terrorism in the same way as it's indescriminate.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 9:47 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm not worried about the murder rates. Aside from differences in how crimes are recorded, the factors behind murder rates are usually regional or location dependant which a whole other load of factors being involved. Like any big city, we make a point of living in the safer areas and mitigate the risks.

But you can't do that with terrorism in the same way as it's indescriminate.
its really 'a coin flip', so stay put, don't travel on a plane, bus or train, or be in any restaurant, nor go to work, a grocery store, don't let your children go to school, even church going is off the things to do for the fear of 'what-if'.

The nutters are or can be anywhere, even your next door neighbour.

Living in fear that you may die from a terrorism attack is unavoidable, as is crossing the street, being struck by lightening or stricken with a deadly incurable illness. Live life one day at a time & trust your instincts
Old Nov 20th 2015, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
its really 'a coin flip', so stay put, don't travel on a plane, bus or train, or be in any restaurant, nor go to work, a grocery store, don't let your children go to school, even church going is off the things to do for the fear of 'what-if'.

The nutters are or can be anywhere, even your next door neighbour.

Living in fear that you may die from a terrorism attack is unavoidable, as is crossing the street, being struck by lightening or stricken with a deadly incurable illness. Live life one day at a time & trust your instincts
Yes, absolutely it's a 'coin flip' but the odds are weighted differently in different locations for different risks, and the media only tells you so much, which is why I like to discuss the perception of people who actually live somewhere. It's not about living in fear, although I'm sure when I write in simplistic terms I can see why my questions might sound like I'm paranoid.

In the same way, I've lived through one large earthquake, I now pay more attention to the seismic risk these days when I'm deciding where to live. Not just at the macro-level (i.e. what country/region/city I live in) but also on the micro-level, as I think about the actual risks associated withe the suburb, street and actual building I live in. And not just for earthquakes but also for risks like bushfires, flooding, burglary etc. For example I would never like in Vancouver as there is that Cascadia faultline off shore. It might or might not rupture in my lifetime but when it does it has the potential to be catastrophic. I have no desire to repeat the experience of being woken up in the middle of the night to a pitch-black shaking house and screaming kids in another room where I can't get to them. Other people might worry more about crossing the street and being hit by a bus. Others still might never set foot on a plane. I prefer to take the approach of knowing the risks and mitigating them as far as possible. In the same way I can chose not to fly with a blacklisted airline, or on models of plane with higher accident stats, I can also chose which city/suburb I live in and how I travel to work or indeed where I work.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, absolutely it's a 'coin flip' but the odds are weighted differently in different locations for different risks, and the media only tells you so much, which is why I like to discuss the perception of people who actually live somewhere. It's not about living in fear, although I'm sure when I write in simplistic terms I can see why my questions might sound like I'm paranoid.

In the same way, I've lived through one large earthquake, I now pay more attention to the seismic risk these days when I'm deciding where to live. Not just at the macro-level (i.e. what country/region/city I live in) but also on the micro-level, as I think about the actual risks associated withe the suburb, street and actual building I live in. And not just for earthquakes but also for risks like bushfires, flooding, burglary etc. For example I would never like in Vancouver as there is that Cascadia faultline off shore. It might or might not rupture in my lifetime but when it does it has the potential to be catastrophic. I have no desire to repeat the experience of being woken up in the middle of the night to a pitch-black shaking house and screaming kids in another room where I can't get to them. Other people might worry more about crossing the street and being hit by a bus. Others still might never set foot on a plane. I prefer to take the approach of knowing the risks and mitigating them as far as possible. In the same way I can chose not to fly with a blacklisted airline, or on models of plane with higher accident stats, I can also chose which city/suburb I live in and how I travel to work or indeed where I work.
Oh my, suddenly my family seems to consist of thrill seeking maniacs. I've been in a big earthquake (Anaheim) a hurricane (Houston) had my flight turned back in the air because of a terrorist attack (NYC). A daughter lives in Vancouver, another works in a refugee camp in Kurdistan.

I expect we'll all die of cancer or cirrhosis or car accident. Death by terrorism or natural disaster is so rare that to alter one's life to mitigate the risk is like shifting one's bet for the 2016 Grand National from Barbaro to Shergar.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 11:52 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to take the approach of knowing the risks and mitigating them as far as possible. In the same way I can chose not to fly with a blacklisted airline, or on models of plane with higher accident stats, I can also chose which city/suburb I live in and how I travel to work or indeed where I work.
Sticking with the nutters...

On the basis to-date Toronto has not had a terrorist attack, makes it one of the safest places. Then suddenly out of the blue a terrorist attack in Vancouver or another Canadian major centre. Toronto is no longer safe place for the reason it may be next on the list.

Same with Australia, living in Sydney, a terrorist attack occurs in another Australian city. Do folks move cities, to the point of leaving Australia to somewhere that they 'guess' wont have an attack?

Worth a read in the link below to see if this would change anyone considering a move to Canada

EXCLUSIVE: Terrorist threat levels highest in Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto - National | Globalnews.ca

Last edited by not2old; Nov 20th 2015 at 11:56 am.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Any Brits in Australia should leave immediately... according to the following

UK residents warned threat of terrorist attack in Australia as high as in Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq

"The UK Foreign Office has ranked the risk of an attack in Australia as "high" – the largest threat level – along with more than 30 other countries.

Australia was given the same threat rating as countries including Afghanistan, Libya, Kenya, Pakistan, Iraq, Spain and France.

The United States and China were deemed a lower risk, receiving the second-highest warning of a "general threat", while large parts of Europe were deemed as having an underlying threat or low threat."
Old Nov 20th 2015, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
Any Brits in Australia should leave immediately... according to the following

UK residents warned threat of terrorist attack in Australia as high as in Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq

"The UK Foreign Office has ranked the risk of an attack in Australia as "high" – the largest threat level – along with more than 30 other countries.

Australia was given the same threat rating as countries including Afghanistan, Libya, Kenya, Pakistan, Iraq, Spain and France.

The United States and China were deemed a lower risk, receiving the second-highest warning of a "general threat", while large parts of Europe were deemed as having an underlying threat or low threat."
Yeah, but given Aussie has the same rating as the UK so I'm not unduly worried. That said, the incident last December has made me more cautious about where I venture with a bunch of kids in the city, since there are clearly nutters around.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think the risk of getting shot by accident in a gang drive-by is greater in TO than a terror attack, and the chances of that are minimal.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 4:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't be, but it is something we worry about as we've been directly affected by situations in the past.

As a student, I've been evacuated from Birmingham International train station while travelling through during rush hour on more than one occasion due to bomb alerts. I worked in London at the end of the IRA era and on more than one occasion I was faced with being evacuated from a main train stations on my way home from work, and stranded alone, amongst crowds of panicking people, in the dark at night for some considerable time until I could find an alternative way to get home. My husband luckily wasn't on the underground trains that got blown up a few years ago, but could so easily have been if he was running 10-15 minutes later. Even here in Sydney, my husband occasionally works across the road from the Lindt cafe (and ocassionally bought me yummy chocolates from) where the nutter held people at gunpoint late last year. I've spent quite some time frequenting that area of the city with my kids, while off visiting parks/museums etc.

With all of this in mind, I'd rather not live somewhere under constant fear of something kicking off. I know nowhere is 100% safe, and there are all kinds of nutters out there. I'd just prefer it wasn't something we need to get used to again.
Move to the border of Stratford Upon Avon or perhaps Pickering
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I think the risk of getting shot by accident in a gang drive-by is greater in TO than a terror attack, and the chances of that are minimal.
Happened to my local bar tender sadly.

31-year-old woman shot dead outside Toronto club had just finished shift at nearby bar - The Globe and Mail

Still unsolved.

Toronto Police are too busy beating up innocent people.

SIU investigates after family alleges Toronto police brutally beat man who later died - Toronto - CBC News

Toronto police caught beating innocent man on video
Old Nov 20th 2015, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't be, but it is something we worry about as we've been directly affected by situations in the past.

As a student, I've been evacuated from Birmingham International train station while travelling through during rush hour on more than one occasion due to bomb alerts. I worked in London at the end of the IRA era and on more than one occasion I was faced with being evacuated from a main train stations on my way home from work, and stranded alone, amongst crowds of panicking people, in the dark at night for some considerable time until I could find an alternative way to get home. My husband luckily wasn't on the underground trains that got blown up a few years ago, but could so easily have been if he was running 10-15 minutes later. Even here in Sydney, my husband occasionally works across the road from the Lindt cafe (and ocassionally bought me yummy chocolates from) where the nutter held people at gunpoint late last year. I've spent quite some time frequenting that area of the city with my kids, while off visiting parks/museums etc.

My family & I have been directly affected too. Many times, in different countries.

We tend to just "get on" & not think too much about it. Canada is one of the places we have lived without looking over our shoulders too much/too often.

If I were weighing up pros & cons for moving to Canada, threat of possible terrorist attacks wouldn't even make the list .
Old Nov 21st 2015, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Move to the border of Stratford Upon Avon or perhaps Pickering
Haha, I've lived near Stratford Upon Avon, and my husband has just been looking at Pickering!
Old Nov 21st 2015, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I've lived near Stratford Upon Avon, and my husband has just been looking at Pickering!
Pickering is close to two nuclear power stations, two possible Chernobyls.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 3:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pickering is close to two nuclear power stations, two possible Chernobyls.
The odds on that happening are infinitesimal.

One Chernobyl and one Three Mile Island on the other hand....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.