Reload this Page >

Exchanging driving license in British Columbia

Exchanging driving license in British Columbia

Old Mar 9th 2015, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Kerambit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchanging driving license in British Columbia

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) emigrating to Vancouver at some point this year and I was a somewhat unclear on the process of exchanging my drivers license.

I only recently passed my test a few months ago, although I have held my provisional for almost 10 years in which time I've been driving on and off. I'm aware that in British Columbia drivers are required to have over two years of experience before they are entitled to a full license. My question is whether the period of time I've held my provisional license for will be counted towards a BC license, or will it simply be the time period in which I've held a full license?

Thanks.

Euan
Old Mar 9th 2015, 7:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging driving license in British Columbia

Originally Posted by Kerambit
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) emigrating to Vancouver at some point this year and I was a somewhat unclear on the process of exchanging my drivers license.

I only recently passed my test a few months ago, although I have held my provisional for almost 10 years in which time I've been driving on and off. I'm aware that in British Columbia drivers are required to have over two years of experience before they are entitled to a full license. My question is whether the period of time I've held my provisional license for will be counted towards a BC license, or will it simply be the time period in which I've held a full license?

Thanks.

Euan
In BC, it is not '2 years of experience', it is having a full drivers license for a class 5 or better for 2 years. With under two years you would go into the GLP and get an 'N' which has restrictions, this is for 2 years, you take a test at the end of this and if you pass you get a full class 5.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...licensing.aspx
Old Mar 9th 2015, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Kerambit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response Aviator. I think you've confirmed what I had originally suspected after I'd read the requirements for gaining a license in BC. The only thing that made me doubt this was one piece of information on the icbc website:

"In some cases we can just rely on your driver's licence—but it's not guaranteed. For example, if your licence was issued less than two years ago, and you're looking to prove two years of experience to exchange your licence, your driver's licence might not be sufficient."

Prove your driving experience

But I guess this may apply to people who have had their UK license re-issued rather than being newly qualified?
Old Mar 9th 2015, 9:04 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kerambit
Thanks for the response Aviator. I think you've confirmed what I had originally suspected after I'd read the requirements for gaining a license in BC. The only thing that made me doubt this was one piece of information on the icbc website:

"In some cases we can just rely on your driver's licence—but it's not guaranteed. For example, if your licence was issued less than two years ago, and you're looking to prove two years of experience to exchange your licence, your driver's licence might not be sufficient."

Prove your driving experience

But I guess this may apply to people who have had their UK license re-issued rather than being newly qualified?
The restrictions shouldn't be too inconvenient for you.