Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much will a 20ft container hold?

How much will a 20ft container hold?

Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much will a 20ft container hold?

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
Hey all,

As the title implies, we are trying to figure out in real terms how much a twenty foot (20x8x8) standard container will actually hold. Has anyone used this size container, and can give us an idea of how much furniture you can fit in? We are trying to figure out whether we should ditch some bits or try and cram them in.

We don't have a lot of large furniture - 2 beds (one double, one single), a two seater sofa and armchair, drinks cabinet, chest of drawers and several bookcases. Its all the boxes of stuff that add up too - kitchen equipment, soft furnishings, books, clothes, work tools, computer equipment, personal effects etc. I am having a tough time 'getting rid' of stuff!

Any advice would help - if you crammed everything from a three bed house in one, I would love to know!

LL x
Hi , I have a 4 bed house, had a quote for 20ft container and they said they be able to get my stuff in it , plus some benches from garden and some bits from garage. they do also an option to half share someone elses container is you go over the 20ft. hope this helps
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

jasper62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by schumachergal
It may have been a little less than 5k, but paying the extra for door to door is great and well worth it. I take it you are moving to Calgary? Weather is warming up the temp in the sun on the dial yesterday showed +32 and then we had a bit of a thunderstorm and it went down to +16, we have one of the sunniest city's in Canada statistically ! WE have been here 3 years and lover every min of it.
Something else to think about too is the garage has 240 volts that is easy to loop off with a breaker and then all tools will work etc
thanks for info on garage voltage. were going just south of winnipeg, so not to far away.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

schumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper62
thanks for info on garage voltage. were going just south of winnipeg, so not to far away.
My husband has wired it for 240 in the garage and we brought over a long UK extention cable so that if I want to use my UK sewing machine and kitchen appliances we can. If you need more info on how he did it, you will need to talk to him - lol. If you need the info just PM me and I will get him to tell you how he did it.