Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:09 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would certainly like to try that and I have an almost infinite supply of flyer points; it's just time that's the problem.
OK, changing the topic just for a mo - how the heck do you manage to get and keep points? Been saving for years, me, and whenever I get enough to start thinking about using them - they expire! I go back to the UK once or twice a year, never been able to get and keep enough. (Points, that is!) What am I doing wrong?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
OK, changing the topic just for a mo - how the heck do you manage to get and keep points? Been saving for years, me, and whenever I get enough to start thinking about using them - they expire! I go back to the UK once or twice a year, never been able to get and keep enough. (Points, that is!) What am I doing wrong?
Because of the "frequent" part of frequent flyer, alas. The first use of my mega stack of points was used to fly Air Canada first class to Toronto. Oh that was a nice flight. But later, when I did less flying, most just expired. Now with the advent of low-cost airlines, points that only get you short-haul aren't very valuable and are quite inconvenient to use.

K.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:22 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No photos but, if I scratch my dog on the back of his head, or indeed anywhere, even speak to him, he'll lick his privates. Will that do as an image?

Why do dogs do that? Apart from the fact that they can?
Another post that had me laughing my head off. This has turned into a great thread - thanks Vick! I stayed home from work today after pulling my back falling on ice yesterday (Vancouver in November, what's wrong with this picture??) so been able to indulge. Just as well, everyone in the office would have been wondering what I'm cackling at.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Calgal
LOL - that made me laugh So glad I'm not the only one! The locks on my van make a really loud 'clunk'. Scared the bejeezers out of me when one day, driving along the highway "clunk", it locked me in! It's happened more than once, n' all. I think it's possessed!
So you finally went over 20 kph? Most cars are set to lock once you get above that speed. Slow poke!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No photos but, if I scratch my dog on the back of his head, or indeed anywhere, even speak to him, he'll lick his privates. Will that do as an image?

Ah, we watched the dog doing that last night.

"Dogs" I said, wistfully "they're so independent".
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

When my bro came over last year he hired a car at Ottawa airport, drove up to my place, got out, shut the door and said "bugger". Wallet, passport, keys and, most importantly, his tobacco, locked in the car. A fair chunk of his holiday spending money was later handed over to a dodgy-looking bloke with some bent coat hangers.
At the risk of Children's Aid being called on me, I can beat that.

A couple of weeks ago I left the computer churning in the office on Friday night, I went back on Saturday afternoon to check on it, taking my autistic daughter and a slice of pizza to keep her amused. I checked the computing stuff and, thinking all had gone well, noted some pizza streaks on the conference table. I stepped out to fetch a paper towel to clean up and the door closed behind me. I was then looking through a fire door with a window at Ms. Trouble playing with my keys. Inside the room is a lot of computer equipment and an expensively recovered couch. Ms. Trouble took off her clothes. "Please don't piss on the couch" was the thought uppermost in my mind as I attempted to smash the door window with everything that came to hand.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I collect the Amex points and convert them to airline tickets when needed, I have about 700,000 and add about 80,000 a year. Until recently I flew a couple of times a week which racked up a lot of miles quickly. I give most of the airline points to my kids because, yes, they expire quickly and they may as well get used. I give the Air Canada ones to my "ex"; a measure of my appreciation of that carrier.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Dogs" I said, wistfully "they're so independent".
Not to mention determined, horny and flexible.

We paid a chunk of cash to get the dog "done", so I'm not entirely sure what it is he's licking. His op was years ago, so surely he can't still have the phantom limb syndrome. Maybe he has piles. I have no intention of investigating that and it's pointless asking the dog. Any time I try speaking to him, it's always the same thing. Two seconds of attention followed by serious licking of the nether regions.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

So you finally went over 20 kph? Most cars are set to lock once you get above that speed. Slow poke!
I can assure you this one isn't!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:31 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

I couldn't be bothered to read through all the replies - did the dude complain about having to drive on the "wrong" side of the roads yet?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wannabe
I couldn't be bothered to read through all the replies - did the dude complain about having to drive on the "wrong" side of the roads yet?
LOL - you may have hit on the one thing that doesn't seem to be a problem (yet, anyway)
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wannabe
You have to read through the replies, it's the most entertaining thread we've had in a long time. And I've learned a lot about doggie behaviour too!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 4:13 am

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to mention determined, horny and flexible.

We paid a chunk of cash to get the dog "done", so I'm not entirely sure what it is he's licking. His op was years ago, so surely he can't still have the phantom limb syndrome. Maybe he has piles. I have no intention of investigating that and it's pointless asking the dog. Any time I try speaking to him, it's always the same thing. Two seconds of attention followed by serious licking of the nether regions.
But why is it that they always do it when you have company?....there you are entertaining some new colleague, friend, client, lover, whatever...and there they are spreadeagled on the floor licking their parts....LOL
Old Nov 29th 2006, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Maybe the country survives on immigration fees

We have been here five months ourselves, and maybe we are lucky but we just smile at the odd local habits, to us they are a lot less worse than the UK ones.
Name one place in the UK where cars take turns at junctions, you get let onto motorways, here adults (and they aren't wierd or have a police record ) speak to kids, I pay for a meal and get served decent food at a decent price, and usually have a doggy bag to go, the kids enjoy going to school, and kids behave in classes, (I could type here all night).
True jobs are difficult but then it is to be expected that you can't walk into any country and be hailed the conquering hero, an immigrant starts at the bottom and works up, look at the immigrants coming into the UK.
I have found so far Canada and it's people to be friendly and helpful,and so far I have worked continuously since two weeks after landing, we came with no jobs lined up.
My only personal gripes are car insurance prices :scared: and the TV/radio it's like groundhog day everyday.
Underneath we know we are giving our kids a chance of a good future, for that alone I don't mind if necessary a slightly harder life for me.
But good luck to all.
Cheers
Jerry
In snowy (-12 tonight) North Van, but still loving it...awesome eh!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Brings to mind the old joke

"Look at that dog licking himself, i wish i could do that"

"Throw him a biscuit and he might let you"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.