Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:35 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Sorry to go off at a tangent but I have a question about dogs

Why do they like to stick their heads out of fast moving car windows? No this isn't a joke
Maybe they like to "break wind"?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Russia and Venezuela both have large oil sands deposits... but the technology to exploit this large and important resource was developed primarily in Canada.
I though we were trying to show there was more to the canadian economy than exploiting our huge natural resources
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:41 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I though we were trying to show there was more to the canadian economy than exploiting our huge natural resources
I didn't want anyone to think that Canada was only a manufacturing, financial services, transportation, biotech, telecom, logistical and tourism superpower.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:57 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seagal01
I'm sure you're right about Canada's trade. However, should I need to research it, when it should be blatantly obvious if it's that common knowledge? As for gritting trucks... if my home town has them, when we don't have anywhere near the weather conditions of Vancouver, there IS something wrong, regardless of capital investment.
You forgot Canadian Maple Syrop!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Russia and Venezuela both have large oil sands deposits... but the technology to exploit this large and important resource was developed primarily in Canada.
I don't think the Russians are doing anything with theirs.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:34 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Oh posted that before having completely caught up in the thread... some really funny bits, loved the dogs & horses

Oh and for the comment as to Canadians maing something, selling it to the US and then buying it back again, DB was right with comedians (like Steve Martin, Rick Moranis, Martin Short, Dan Aykroyd, Mike Meyers, Jim Carrey and John Candy... all of whom had to sign their souls to US TV companies or Hollywood before becoming famous), there's also the movie stars like Keanu Reeves, William Shatner, Donald Sutherland, Matthew Perry, Pamela Anderson, Michael J. Fox and an actor who has serious issues in a day, Keifer Sutherland... oh and lets not forget early rise/fall of River Pheonix (most famous for the movie Stand By Me) was also Canadian along with his brothers (Wakim Pheonix staring in the recent life story of The Man in Black called "Walk The Line" along with being the evil emporors son in "Gladiator")and sisters, one of my high school friends were neighbours with his family.

But nevermind, most of the world assumes that because the above all 'made it' via American companies that they must also be Americans... kinda like that fellow called Sean Connery was also assumed to be an Englishman because he worked for "Her Majesty's Secret Service" as agent 007, or that fine English product Catherine Zeta Jones (ooeer!)

Oh and Canada also sells electricity to the USA for cheaper prices then it sells it to local residents of Canada, just had to chuck that one in too

Last edited by Daedra; Nov 30th 2006 at 9:37 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see this thread is still going even though the originator seems to have gone into hiding, not sure how we got onto horses arses and dogs with heads out of windows.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:43 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I don't think the Russians are doing anything with theirs.
That's because the poor bastards don't have Canadian oil sands technology... ...that must have been what the Russian spy was trying to get:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6171306.stm

... thanks Souvenir for helping me figure out what he was doing in Canada. I'll forward this information onto CSIS.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 30th 2006 at 9:46 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by printer
Glad to see this thread is still going even though the originator seems to have gone into hiding, not sure how we got onto horses arses and dogs with heads out of windows.
There is a rather amusing ad on TV at the moment that features a dog with its arse out the window. I suspect the involvement of dbd.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

That's because the poor bastards don't have Canadian oil sands technology... ...that must have been what the Russian spy was trying to get:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6171306.stm

... thanks Souvenir for helping me figure out what he was doing in Canada. I'll forward this information onto CSIS.
Russians are big news at the moment in the UK with all this talk of radiation poisoning and contamination found in a couple of BA aircraft.
Now another former russian big gun has been taken ill in Dublin.
All very mysterious.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a rather amusing ad on TV at the moment that features a dog with its arse out the window. I suspect the involvement of dbd.
Not me mate, our dog rides in a convertible. (Arse down).
BE Forum Addict

I beleive you have plenty of ads to choose from on Canadian TV.
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Oh posted that before having completely caught up in the thread... some really funny bits, loved the dogs & horses

Oh and for the comment as to Canadians maing something, selling it to the US and then buying it back again, DB was right with comedians (like Steve Martin, Rick Moranis, Martin Short, Dan Aykroyd, Mike Meyers, Jim Carrey and John Candy... all of whom had to sign their souls to US TV companies or Hollywood before becoming famous), there's also the movie stars like Keanu Reeves, William Shatner, Donald Sutherland, Matthew Perry, Pamela Anderson, Michael J. Fox and an actor who has serious issues in a day, Keifer Sutherland... oh and lets not forget early rise/fall of River Pheonix (most famous for the movie Stand By Me) was also Canadian along with his brothers (Wakim Pheonix staring in the recent life story of The Man in Black called "Walk The Line" along with being the evil emporors son in "Gladiator")and sisters, one of my high school friends were neighbours with his family.
But, I thought they were ALL made in the US of A and had the USA brand on their asses?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:52 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Daedra

But nevermind, most of the world assumes that because the above all 'made it' via American companies that they must also be Americans... kinda like that fellow called Sean Connery was also assumed to be an Englishman because he worked for "Her Majesty's Secret Service" as agent 007, or that fine English product Catherine Zeta Jones (ooeer!)

Oh and Canada also sells electricity to the USA for cheaper prices then it sells it to local residents of Canada, just had to chuck that one in too
Steve Martin is Canadian? I don't think so. Anyway, you forgot Rich Little and Eugene Levy.

Regarding electricity ... if you want to sign a 20-30 year contract, you might get a deal too.... the US also had to pay rip-off prices for power from Canada (BC Power) during times of shortages (California brownouts) on the spot market. BC Power kept the lights from going out in California during that time... so the US was "suckling" off Canada. BTW, there are several US communities (Point Roberts, WA and Hyder, AK) that are totally dependent on Canada for their survival... while there is no Canadian community that is dependent on the US for its survival.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 30th 2006 at 10:00 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not me mate, our dog rides in a convertible. (Arse down).

What have I said about you gluing your poor dog's arse to your convertible seat dbd! Poor lil' mite, no chance of him getting a sniff of Canadian air and if he farted? ..... Well, being stuck soundly to the seat he would implode as it would have nowhere to go, apart from whence it came!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.