Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you spend your leisure time - activities & sports?

How do you spend your leisure time - activities & sports?

Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you spend your leisure time - activities & sports?

Does anybody play Swingball over here?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

I have been known to pop down to Kitts and knock a tennis ball about with some cradles to get rid of a hangover. Actually a mate of mine has a younger brother who's a professional Canadian tennis player, my mate didn't get the athletic genes in the family.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I have been known to pop down to Kitts and knock a tennis ball about with some cradles to get rid of a hangover. Actually a mate of mine has a younger brother who's a professional Canadian tennis player, my mate didn't get the athletic genes in the family.
One of our corporate lawyers has two kids who went through college on tennis scholarships. I don't think tennis is generally popular in Canada but it's certainly popular among the monied and driven. Sadly, his children weren't up to making a living from ball batting and fell into the family trade.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 1:38 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink

I have been known to pop down to Kitts and knock a tennis ball about with some cradles to get rid of a hangover.
I went snowboarding after going out on the sauce once. I had to drive up to whistler at 7am, and was probably still a bit pissed; fortunately I didn't crash or get stopped by the filth.

I'd like to say that the mountain helped, but I felt ropey all day. Really, it would have been better all round if I'd stayed in bed whilst taking the occasional tentative sip of water.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is likely different, from what I can tell the only activities and sports where I am are various things like mountain climbing, skiing, windsurfing, jumping off the Chief with a parachute or other apparatus to help increase not getting killed, mountain biking, hmm unfortunately if not into those things, there is crum all to do.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 4:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Only when I go around corners too fast or do some aerobatics!
Old Oct 10th 2015, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Of course, it depends on where within the GTA you are (access is easier from the outer suburbs than from the downtown core) but here's my take on your questions from the perspective of Oakville and the western GTA.

Hiking: the Bruce Trail is a pretty good walk, and eventually I hope to have covered it end to end, small pieces at a time; sections locally, including side-trails, run through some of the regional Conservation Authority lands and include some great hikes of anything from a handful of kilometers to a half-day circular trek. The Bruce Trail itself runs all the way from Niagara up the Bruce Peninsular, for over 500 miles through a mixture of public land, conservation areas, and some private property. There are also a number of provincial parks and other conservation lands where hiking (and cross-country skiiing or snowshoeing in winter) is easily accessible for suburbanites.

Time on the water: there are any number of sailing and powerboating clubs of varying degrees of exclusivity and expensiveness, most of which offer summer moorings and winter haul-out/storage services. There are also lots of boats on trailers in driveways. Many municipalities have public slipways, with varying fee structures for use. There is a certificate of operator competence for boating (for any boat with a motor, even an auxiliary motor for a sailboat) which was introduced a few years ago and, by all accounts, is policed quite fiercely. Boats with engines bigger than 10hp also require registration. Lake Ontario is big and carries commercial shipping; there are myriad smaller lakes where rules for pleasure craft (engine size, speed limits, rules for towables) vary enormously.

Scouts Canada is a thriving organization (I've been a volunteer leader for a few years now). Programmes are probably quite different from those in Aus or NZ - for obvious reasons, a lot of emphasis is placed on winter scouting and watercraft. The Scout organization owns a surprising amount of property in southern Ontario, and camps are extensive and varied. Winter camping, under canvas in properly cold weather (best I've done yet is daytime highs of -18, nighttime low of -30-something), is surprisingly good fun! Most groups meet weekly in school gyms or church halls; there aren't many groups that own their own meeting spaces. Annual fees are pretty reasonable, with additional costs associated with adventure training or camping activities on a per-camp basis. Scouts Canada is fully co-ed, though there are some groups (mostly in places where there is a strong Girl Guides company) where there are few girls registered.

Can't give you a steer on costs for competitive swimming programs, but the Town of Oakville does group and private swimming instruction at its pool facilities following the Lifesaving Society's graduated programme - usually around $75 for a course of 8 half-hour group lessons. There are both privately-run swimming clubs and the town's aquatics club who provide competitive swimming stuff, and have furnished a handful of Olympians in past years. Some of my neighbours' kids swim competitively with Oakville Aquatics, and swim meets seem to include just about every other municipality in the GTA, so you pays your money and you makes your choice...

As for cultural stuff, there are countless options. My kids all participate in the local children's choir, so that takes up quite a lot of non-sporting leisure time. There are active theatre groups, plenty of art studios offering instruction... As for "places to visit" we have been to all sorts of events at a nearby Country Heritage Park; there's maple syrup festivals in the early spring; museums and galleries are a bit hit-and-miss but it depends what you're used to (having previously lived within easy reach of the South Kensington museums and the Tate/NG/NPG in London, I found Toronto's ROM and AGO a bit parochial...) But there are some surprising hits - my OH, who thought she'd be deathly bored by it, really liked the Radial Railway museum north of Milton. As for over-popularity: we've stopped going to some of the more popular hiking trails on public holidays - it rather destroys the tranquility of the countryside when you have to queue up to walk along the path!

Thankyou for the huge amount of information

The concept of having to pay a fee to use a public slipway to get your boat onto the water is quite novel, as they are totally free to use here. I'm hoping it's not prohibitively expensive though.

Also winter camping for Scouts sounds awesome and so very different to what is on offer here. I do wonder how my kids would adjust to such a change in temperature range. They're off camping again soon, it's only spring and already this week we've had temperatures up to 39 degrees locally. It's hard for them to carry enough water to keep hydrated. What sort of activities do kids do on winter camps in order to keep warm enough? Also do they camp in one big tent together or smaller two person ones?
Old Oct 10th 2015, 10:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
What sort of activities do kids do on winter camps in order to keep warm enough?
Most Canadian kids smoke weed to keep warm on the winter nights
Old Oct 10th 2015, 11:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've never met a group of children who can least afford to smoke dope.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Not that different to half the British kids I grew up with then. It's a phase. Clean living is what all the cool and hip youths are doing these days, and no doubt that'll spread to the new world countries within the next few years.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Clean living is what all the cool and hip youths are doing these days, and no doubt that'll spread to the new world countries within the next few years.
I'd bet a spliff against that.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 1:22 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd bet a spliff against that.
If I knew what a "spliff" was I'd bet against it too !
Old Oct 11th 2015, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
If I knew what a "spliff" was I'd bet against it too !
A marijuana cigarette. They're popular among the youth of today.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that different to half the British kids I grew up with then. It's a phase. Clean living is what all the cool and hip youths are doing these days, and no doubt that'll spread to the new world countries within the next few years.
I think you under estimate the popularity of pot with the youth and not so youth in Canada.

Even the hip so called clean living people you will find smoking pot or using pot.

It's too mainstream to be just a phase.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I think you under estimate the popularity of pot with the youth and not so youth in Canada.

Even the hip so called clean living people you will find smoking pot or using pot.

It's too mainstream to be just a phase.

I'm not convinced. It was pretty mainstream in the UK 20 years ago but it got boring and eventually went into a silent decline. Maybe I'm wrong but what happens in the UK/Europe etc tends to be emulated in the new world countries a couple of decades later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.