Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK electrician moving to Montreal.

UK electrician moving to Montreal.

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Cashman2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK electrician moving to Montreal.

My wife has applied for a job in Montreal which it looks like she is going to get.
As a UK electrician I’m totally in the dark about what is going to be involved in finding work in Montreal/Quebec.
I’ve currently started learning basic French but I’m getting a little worried about how many obstacles are going to get in my way. Taking a paycut and doing an entirely different job doesn’t bother me as we will not be dependent on my wage but I’m going to need to do something.

I’d appreciate any advice from anyone that’s been in a similar situation.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 3:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK electrician moving to Montreal.

Originally Posted by Cashman2112
My wife has applied for a job in Montreal which it looks like she is going to get.
As a UK electrician I’m totally in the dark about what is going to be involved in finding work in Montreal/Quebec.
I’ve currently started learning basic French but I’m getting a little worried about how many obstacles are going to get in my way. Taking a paycut and doing an entirely different job doesn’t bother me as we will not be dependent on my wage but I’m going to need to do something.

I’d appreciate any advice from anyone that’s been in a similar situation.
An electrician in the dark. That's not a good start!

You won't find it easy unless you work under the table. The hoops you have to jump through are incredible.

My Quebec-born stepson is training to be a sparks at the moment. It's a one-year course, followed by apprenticeship. He can get some time knocked off the apprenticeship because he's a qualified and experience machinist.

I hope you succeed but good luck trying.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 5:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

These links may be of use to you

Certificates Issued by the CCQ� >� Emploi-Québec

Compulsory Qualification� >� Emploi-Québec

Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program� >� Emploi-Québec (or you could take/obtain your trade equivalency from another Province and then obtain a Red Seal endorsement, which would allow you to work in Quebec).

Ontario: Ontario College of Trades » Trade Equivalency Assessment
Red Seal: Construction Electrician / Red Seal / Industrial Electrician / Red Seal

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 22nd 2017 at 5:55 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Is your wife a Canadian citizen?

If not, what visa would she/you be coming over on?

Souvy and Siouxie have given you some good info/links.

IMO, & IME, learning French is the least of your worries (although it’s a great idea). To be blunt: unless you trained in France and have a specific French qualification which falls within the Franco-Quebec accord (see CCQ links), you’re likely up the proverbial creek without a paddle .

HOWEVER, having said all that, you might be able to get a job/work in maintenance.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Is your wife a Canadian citizen?

If not, what visa would she/you be coming over on?

Souvy and Siouxie have given you some good info/links.

IMO, & IME, learning French is the least of your worries (although it’s a great idea). To be blunt: unless you trained in France and have a specific French qualification which falls within the Franco-Quebec accord (see CCQ links), you’re likely up the proverbial creek without a paddle .

HOWEVER, having said all that, you might be able to get a job/work in maintenance.
Yeah. I’m thinking I’m just going to look at other options. My wife will have a visa with her job offer. Initially I’ll likely be a dependent on that.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I’m thinking I’m just going to look at other options. My wife will have a visa with her job offer. Initially I’ll likely be a dependent on that.
Feel free to shout out if/when you have Qc-specific questions. There aren’t too many Brit->Qc residents around the forum, but those of us who are try to help out if we can.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't discount the possibility of doing work under the table. It does happen. Just a question of getting the right contacts
Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Don't discount the possibility of doing work under the table. It does happen. Just a question of getting the right contacts
Not a good start for a PR application if you get caught though!
Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not a good start for a PR application if you get caught though!
Yeah. I thought it better not to suggest or discuss that option give site TOS & Aviator’s point.

Which may be why I mentioned “maintenance” jobs. Perhaps I was being too subtle?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 6:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. Why? If his spouse gets a work permit in NOC A, B or O, he can get an open work permit and work for who will hire him.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As PMM points out getting the work permit won't be the problem providing the wifes job is in skill level 0, A or B. His problem will be showing he meets the qualifications for the job especially if the employer wants to follow the rules.

Im sure there are people who might be working without having their qualifications assessed but do they also have valid work permits to actually work?

The OP will have a valid work permit if eligible for the Spousal Open Work Permit but could fall foul of Provincial legislation if not qualified to do that work.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 11:24 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As PMM points out getting the work permit won't be the problem providing the wifes job is in skill level 0, A or B. His problem will be showing he meets the qualifications for the job especially if the employer wants to follow the rules.

Im sure there are people who might be working without having their qualifications assessed but do they also have valid work permits to actually work?

The OP will have a valid work permit if eligible for the Spousal Open Work Permit but could fall foul of Provincial legislation if not qualified to do that work.
I guess so. My son's full-time course is costing $18k. He already knows most of what he is being taught but needs the piece of paper.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

I’m going to look at doing something different I think.