Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did your freinds, family, colleagues take the news that your leaving?

How did your freinds, family, colleagues take the news that your leaving?

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did your freinds, family, colleagues take the news that your leaving?

I didn't come from the UK, but when I came to Canada, I told nobody, I was in school at the time and not working, finished the last day of the semester, went to the airport and flew to Canada.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did your freinds, family, colleagues take the news that your leaving?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
me, looking forward to it!

When I left my team decorated my desk with bunting of Canadian and NS flags and I got a lovely gift. My husbands crew all met down the pub in the evening. We were fortunate with work colleagues for sure.
My work colleagues were great....many of them were my close friends anyway, and we have managed to stay in touch until more recently.

I also had multiple "leaving dos" lol. I made sure I did everything and went everywhere for the last time!

I organised my own final leaving do...held it 3 days before my departure, there was a surprise in it though that I didn't know anything about, a couple of friends and my sister printed enlarged photos of me with friends and family and pinned them up around the room along with Canadian flags....I thought that was a really nice surprise...some of the pictures were embarassing drunken ones of times gone by! They raised a few talking points for friends who hadn't seen my wilder side! lol

It was a fantastic evening, with friends and family, 80 people attended in all! Ill never forget it, I was so pleased to get such a great send off, it was a lovely evening but tinged with sadness. Haven't looked at many of the photos that were taken since...still find them a bit sad 8 years on, even though I am happy with my life here.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I didn't come from the UK, but when I came to Canada, I told nobody, I was in school at the time and not working, finished the last day of the semester, went to the airport and flew to Canada.
They probably think you were kidnapped or are on a secret mission.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 10:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought Paul looked like Daniel Craig.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
Thanks guys. I love this forum. I'm always reading threads and it's so nice how many of you respond when I post.

I'm finding work particularly hard at the moment. I've been there 12 years and to think that in a month I'll be leaving for good is so exciting, but the way people are being is making things difficult.

I've arranged a couple of nights out with friends which I'm hoping will show how many of them will bother when I've moved. Plus I'm hoping to be making loads of new friends soon!

As for family, my dad is the same and just doesn't want to discuss it which is odd as he's never been an emotional kind of guy. Mum's already booking her flights and I'm sure she won't be coming over on her own.
I am interested and amazed at the info on here too. I am in a similar position here... and I thought it was just work was funny and folks were strange... Work was fine, all yayy.. great opportunity... lucky you... until I came home after moving family out in Aug/Sept... then it was as if the reality suddenly dawned on them... soon it was the silent treatment and 'can't do anything right' approach.. gave them 9mths notice to get someone in place which they really appreciated (or at least said so)... now that person has started I am the 3rd person in a couple scenario.. meeting are arranged and 10yrs+ of experience isn't required... Also when I arrived back after family moved to tidy things up, in some ways I felt a stranger amoungst what used to be friends....

I was wondering was there a tad of jealousy about some folks when the reality dawned when the talking stopped and we had started to move, but like others have said, it will soon become evident who are the real friends. Suppose it is best to remember that we have made this decision for ourselves... we are not living other peoples lives..
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought Paul looked like Daniel Craig.
I think either JG has either has (a)hit the gin early in the day, (b) mislaid her reading glasses or (c) we have a new forum member PSmith321
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 2:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I think either JG has either has (a)hit the gin early in the day, (b) mislaid her reading glasses or (c) we have a new forum member PSmith321
In that case I take it back because I haven’t met J...but I’m sure he is just as charismatic and handsome as Daniel Craig.

No gin for me...don’t like it. My excuse for the mix up is strep throat.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 2:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case I take it back because I haven’t met J...but I’m sure he is just as charismatic and handsome as Daniel Craig.

No gin for me...don’t like it. My excuse for the mix up is strep throat.
There again the grammar in my first sentence shows that I am scarcely someone who should criticise
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 6:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loraine 1
Hi guys,

You may know that I'm in the process of moving to NS with my O/H. We'll be landing the first week in Jan.

I just wondered how your friends, family, colleagues etc.. took the news and dealt with the move? Most people who I'd say I'm close to seem to be happy for me if also a little sad.

Some family members refuse to discuss it and others talk about it constantly. Am I strange to be concerned that they won't miss me?

Colleagues seem to be giving me the silent treatment more and more, even though they were really supportive to begin with. I almost feel like an outcast most days now...

Most friends have been great, others who I thought were close friends have sort of blocked me out. Ignoring me messages and showing no interest at all. I've also had pals who I haven't seen since school get in touch and ask to meet up before I move which was lovely. My O/H bumped into a pal he's not seen for years at the weekend, told him we were off and his wife messaged me within a couple of hours asking to meet up, yet people I went to college with are blanking me!

Is it me or is this all a bit odd? You know?
I actually went to the US rather than Canada but I sort of grew up between the two [UK and US] countries anyway so it wasn't a big deal. I think my dad met it with the sort of indifference he did when I went over as a 8, 12 and 15 year old and basically said his mantra, "you need some money son?" My step mother started dancing and my friends were happy as they thought I FedEx them drugs.

Last edited by Oink; Nov 3rd 2017 at 6:36 am.