Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Calgary is trending

How Calgary is trending

Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Calgary is trending

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Not my understanding of the problem, the XL is not for the onward sales to a third country, it will be refined in USA and consumed there.
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought it was to take our oil to the Gulf of Mexico and load into tankers for China. Natural gas is still cheaper than oil, and America has lots of both, so I'd be interested in seeing how we're going to sell our oil to the US given the current political climate.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 28th 2017 at 6:08 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The pipelines are for us to move oil through the US, not to it.
Kinder Morgan pipeline in particular is to transport oil and gas to Burnaby/Vancouver for export overseas.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read:

As Engineer said, the Kindermorgan is to export to China and others from BC.

Keystone is to increase export capacity to the US as well as connect a number of refining facilities and stores within the US that are either isolated or sit on other pipe systems. In addition to this, along the route of the Keystone pipeline, there's a number of facilities which have expanded refining capability for heavy oil from Venezuela and other SA countries but the supply isn't reliable. So the expanded Canadian capacity will provide a secure supply to maximise the use of this expanded refining capability.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The pipelines are for us to move oil through the US, not to it.
The purpose of Keystone XL is to get the bitumen down to the refineries in Texas, the general idea is that it can then be sold more easily in the eastern US as there is long-standing oversupply in the west.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

OMG this thread sounds like a bar conversation downtown.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 10:17 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
From what I have read:
As Engineer said, the Kindermorgan is to export to China and others from BC.
Keystone is to increase export capacity to the US as well as connect a number of refining facilities and stores within the US that are either isolated or sit on other pipe systems. In addition to this, along the route of the Keystone pipeline, there's a number of facilities which have expanded refining capability for heavy oil from Venezuela and other SA countries but the supply isn't reliable. So the expanded Canadian capacity will provide a secure supply to maximise the use of this expanded refining capability.
I didn't realise that; thought the main export oil to the US would be the high-grade from the Bakken Reserve, and the rest would just get refined for overseas, but now I know. I knew Keystone was to connect other systems, but suppose I wasn't thinking of the scope of the demand in the US, and that they'd still have to buy so much even while their own oil industry is suffering from low prices. Evraz North America is tooling up to make the new thicker, large capacity pipe, and that means jobs in Regina and profits in hard currency back in mother Russia. It would be nice to see all the old lines replaced with thicker pipe before they leak, but that isn't likely at $50/bbl.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Two diametrically opposed headlines:

Another painful year in Alberta, but NDP sees positive economic signs | Calgary Herald

Canadian oilpatch may defer $19 billion in capex spending if low prices persist: analysts

Right, so somehow it's a positive economic sign when $19 billion of investment is deferred?

Prices are currently around US$45 a barrel and the province is banking on a price of US$55 for the 2017-18 fiscal year.
Calgary-based Peters & Co. Ltd. slashed its price estimates for WTI this week to US$47.68 per barrel for the year, down roughly 7 per cent from the investment bank’s estimate from a month earlier.
And who do you believe? Politicians or people who price oil for a living?