Reload this Page >

How to avoid credit card fee with Canadian Affair

How to avoid credit card fee with Canadian Affair

Old Dec 5th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

stevenghines is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to avoid credit card fee with Canadian Affair

Hello all,

Something I discovered today is that if you phone Canadian Affair in Canada and book your flight over the phone, you don't pay the 2% credit card charge whereas if you book online you do. Seems a bit backward to me but that's the way it is so I thought it would be a useful tip to share.

Not as useful as the tip here though; gutted that I found this out after I booked my flight through the Canadian arm of the company.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to avoid credit card fee with Canadian Affair

Yup - benefit of being a BE member eh!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just use a debit card.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Or you could just use a debit card.
Not very wise if the airline goes bust
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Not very wise if the airline goes bust
I'd actually completely forgotten about that aspect of it.

Unfortunately for those of us who don't have credit cards, it's pretty much the only option anyway though.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:28 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I'd actually completely forgotten about that aspect of it.

Unfortunately for those of us who don't have credit cards, it's pretty much the only option anyway though.
You'll probably find you'll need a credit card if you come to Canada to live. It's like you don't exist without one.

I hardly ever use mine for purchases, but if you want to hire some skiis etc you need it for deposit reasons.....
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:59 am
Just Joined

stevenghines is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's credit cards you're struggling with, go to your bank and ask them if they'll give you one backed by a 120% GIC. You have to stump up the money up front to back the card but you get it back with interest after a year and you also get a credit rating which lets you apply for other cards with better terms.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:55 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
You'll probably find you'll need a credit card if you come to Canada to live. It's like you don't exist without one.

I hardly ever use mine for purchases, but if you want to hire some skiis etc you need it for deposit reasons.....
I'm sure I'll be fine, I remember using my card as collatarol for pool tables in America and I can keep a little UK Visa Debit card on me for any such circumstances but I have absolutely no plans to go skiiing in Canada and also I will only be on TWP there so I won't be permitted credit anyway.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I'll be fine, I remember using my card as collatarol for pool tables in America and I can keep a little UK Visa Debit card on me for any such circumstances but I have absolutely no plans to go skiiing in Canada and also I will only be on TWP there so I won't be permitted credit anyway.
errrmmm... I don't think this is remotely true. I arrived on a TWP and within a couple of weeks had a mortgage, a credit card (not secured by a hefty deposit), a car lease.... credit is certainly available to new arrivals on TWP if you shop around.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
errrmmm... I don't think this is remotely true. I arrived on a TWP and within a couple of weeks had a mortgage, a credit card (not secured by a hefty deposit), a car lease.... credit is certainly available to new arrivals on TWP if you shop around.
Really? I'd read that in a few other threads on here before, that it is impossible to get credit with a temporary SIN.

If that isn't the case then that can only be good news though.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I'd read that in a few other threads on here before, that it is impossible to get credit with a temporary SIN.

If that isn't the case then that can only be good news though.
Ah, and there's the rub. The only agency who has a right to know your SIN is Revenue Canada. There's no need for a bank or credit card company to know your SIN begins with a 9; just leave that field blank on the form. That is the advice I was given and it seems to have worked...
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

That's an awesome tip, thanks man, I'll remember that.

Much, much appreciated.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:04 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yup we are on TWP - mortgage, credit cards . . .etc
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

That's an awesome tip, thanks man, I'll remember that.

Much, much appreciated.
Get a credit card. Don't trust on-line or high street retailers with your own money.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stevenghines
Hello all,

Something I discovered today is that if you phone Canadian Affair in Canada and book your flight over the phone, you don't pay the 2% credit card charge whereas if you book online you do. Seems a bit backward to me but that's the way it is so I thought it would be a useful tip to share.

Not as useful as the tip here though; gutted that I found this out after I booked my flight through the Canadian arm of the company.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep this in mind for booking our tickets next year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.