Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Shard
It's coming in a few decades' time (maybe a bit later in Alberta).
I disagree. World over-population will drive the politically uneducated in all developed countries to the right, and then those rightie parties will drive the divide and conquer rhetoric right in there and everyone will hate each other more than they already do and then we'll get some form of World War 3 that wipes half the population off the planet.

It's very interesting to read into German philosophy in the early 1930's, and just how similar that is to the popular opinion now in the UK and in particular, Australia. We know what happened at the end of the 1930's...
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting data from the linked article.

"a 25- to 34-year-old making median full-time earnings from 1976 to 1980 had to work five years in order to save a 20 per cent down payment for a house."

"And that's Canada as a whole."

"My heart just weeps at the thought of calculating Vancouver," Kershaw says.

"Because it's probably closer to 20 years."

70 per cent of all sales in Metro Vancouver between 2007 and 2013 were rated "unaffordable" by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver.

Vancouver's housing costs won't be solved just by desperate tweets - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What sum are we talking about for a move? The flights might be expensive, but a lot of the time you can actually fund a move by selling stuff you have. I know people who have moved with just a plastic bag. It's never the right time and we're not getting younger. It's even possible to get a job through Skype these days, so you only really need money to survive until you get your first pay check. Might not be ideal, but you can survive on little for the first few weeks and don't have to move into a mansion straight away.
For within Canada, I'd estimate 1,000 to 2,000 just for moving costs. A Uhaul for example from BC to Alberta is currently running 800 for a truck, then add in gas and insurance and tax and your over 1,000 right there.

For a move outside of Canada, I have no clue how much it would cost, not familiar with costs of living in other countries except the US/Canada, or housing costs.

We would obviously lose a lot in exchange rates, so would have to account for that.

I honestly can't say how much a move outside of North America would cost.

I don't know what the procedures would be, and such. I just can't put a number on it.

I'd guess airfare alone would be over 1,000 CAD + whatever fees to transport a dog.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeenTrainingDogs
I disagree. World over-population will drive the politically uneducated in all developed countries to the right, and then those rightie parties will drive the divide and conquer rhetoric right in there and everyone will hate each other more than they already do and then we'll get some form of World War 3 that wipes half the population off the planet.

It's very interesting to read into German philosophy in the early 1930's, and just how similar that is to the popular opinion now in the UK and in particular, Australia. We know what happened at the end of the 1930's...
I don't see a future of hatred, and I think the political systems will converge into a new socially responsible capitalism. Our big challenge will be eradicating global (eg. African) poverty. Yes, I'm a bit of an idealist.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I just think you have to move away, otherwise nothing will change. As mentioned before, the UK might be an option for you. The great thing now is that you know what you want and that seems to be a house with garden if I'm right? Ok I'm in Ireland, but most people I know don't earn more than €30K and they all have a house (owned/rented), go on holiday 2-3 times a year. I'm sure there are plenty of locations like that in the UK too, so I would really consider a move now.
I think it's worth mentioning, as it may not be apparent, but Jsmth123 isn't from the UK, but was born in the USA and now lives in Canada. He would have to jump through the immigration hoops and expenses to be able to live in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
70 per cent of all sales in Metro Vancouver between 2007 and 2013 were rated "unaffordable" by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver.
There is more bollocks written about house prices than anything else. 100% of all house sales anywhere, ever, have been affordable by the buyer.

These so called economic experts can't tell the difference between an open and a closed system.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

BeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond reputeBeenTrainingDogs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't see a future of hatred, and I think the political systems will converge into a new socially responsible capitalism. Our big challenge will be eradicating global (eg. African) poverty. Yes, I'm a bit of an idealist.
You'll be the first to go when the armies rise up! :P

I used to be an idealist before I realised just how terrible humanity collectively is!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeenTrainingDogs
You'll be the first to go when the armies rise up! :P

I used to be an idealist before I realised just how terrible humanity collectively is!
We're not that bad. And certainly not as bad as we were !
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I think it's worth mentioning, as it may not be apparent, but Jsmth123 isn't from the UK, but was born in the USA and now lives in Canada. He would have to jump through the immigration hoops and expenses to be able to live in the UK.
I thought it was mentioned that his wife had connections to the UK, but maybe I'm wrong. I still think that it would be possible to find somewhere in the US where housing is affordable and surviving without a managers salary.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:24 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was mentioned that his wife had connections to the UK, but maybe I'm wrong. I still think that it would be possible to find somewhere in the US where housing is affordable and surviving without a managers salary.
But he doesnt want to live / can't afford to live in U.S. Due to lack of health care and his reliance on the health system in Canada.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

My wife can like and work in the UK as she is dual.

We did look into the US, but the high cost of healthcare pretty much rules the US out.

We would be looking at 300+ a month + whatever co-payments and deductibles to actually receive service. Don't be fooled by the reforms down there, they did little to actually bring down prices, but did force insurance companies to cover everywhere which is a start.

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
But he doesnt want to live / can't afford to live in U.S. Due to lack of health care and his reliance on the health system in Canada.
More for my wife then me. She has to have access to a psychiatrist and medication so she stays stable and I am not even sure they would let me sponsor her because of being bipolar, not sure what the US allows and doesn't allow.

I also don't know if they would let me sponsor her from Canada, knowing I would not have that income once in the US.

I would need to make 20,000 a year in the US, and depending on what state, that may or may not be possible since wages in the US are lower overall for my kind of work, in high cost regions like California, I can make the same as in BC, but then we would not be any better off, and probably worse off.

But in states with low cost of living, I may only get 8 or 9 per hour which isn't sufficient to sponsor a spouse.

Moving is more complicated then it initially sounds, we don't rule it out, but it has to be planned and appropriate savings saved.

I know some can find jobs form afar, but it's not the norm for low end jobs like I would be looking for, an employer has no incentive to hire from a far when most places have sufficient local applicants.

My wife would actually like to live in the US, but she was shocked when I showed her the estimate of what we would pay per month for jut the insurance, before the costs with actually going to the doctor on top of the monthly premiums. Unfortunately just paying the monthly premium doesn't get you access to care if you don't have the funds for the co-payments or deductible requirements.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 22nd 2015 at 9:04 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife can like and work in the UK as she is dual.

We did look into the US, but the high cost of healthcare pretty much rules the US out.

We would be looking at 300+ a month + whatever co-payments and deductibles to actually receive service. Don't be fooled by the reforms down there, they did little to actually bring down prices, but did force insurance companies to cover everywhere which is a start.

More for my wife then me. She has to have access to a psychiatrist and medication so she stays stable and I am not even sure they would let me sponsor her because of being bipolar, not sure what the US allows and doesn't allow.

I also don't know if they would let me sponsor her from Canada, knowing I would not have that income once in the US.

I would need to make 20,000 a year in the US, and depending on what state, that may or may not be possible since wages in the US are lower overall for my kind of work, in high cost regions like California, I can make the same as in BC, but then we would not be any better off, and probably worse off.

But in states with low cost of living, I may only get 8 or 9 per hour which isn't sufficient to sponsor a spouse.

Moving is more complicated then it initially sounds, we don't rule it out, but it has to be planned and appropriate savings saved.

I know some can find jobs form afar, but it's not the norm for low end jobs like I would be looking for, an employer has no incentive to hire from a far when most places have sufficient local applicants.

My wife would actually like to live in the US, but she was shocked when I showed her the estimate of what we would pay per month for jut the insurance, before the costs with actually going to the doctor on top of the monthly premiums. Unfortunately just paying the monthly premium doesn't get you access to care if you don't have the funds for the co-payments or deductible requirements.
You mentioned the high health care costs in the US and since the UK is possible, I would really look into it. You have many options with England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland. Although health insurance might be needed for Rep of Ireland, I wouldn't rule it out if it's possible. Better salaries, cheaper housing and quality of life make up for it.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned the high health care costs in the US and since the UK is possible, I would really look into it. You have many options with England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland. Although health insurance might be needed for Rep of Ireland, I wouldn't rule it out if it's possible. Better salaries, cheaper housing and quality of life make up for it.
Emm as a recent Irish-expat, I wouldn't really recommend moving to Ireland to get healthcare.

Though things are getting better, if you are living on the lower end of the wage scale (minimum wage is €8.65) then things are still quite tough. There's a huge rental squeeze going on in Dublin and surrounding areas at the moment which prices most lower wage earners out of the market unless they live in shared accomodation. Living anywhere rural requires a car (imo, as public transport outside major towns/cities is not really reliable) which is expensive to run in Ireland (compared to Canada anyway). You could try smaller cities like Cork or Galway though I have no experience of them.

As for healthcare, health insurance is essential. The public service is overstretched and still under resourced, especially in the mental health area. To get any kind of insurance that would cover day to day stuff such as visits to see GP or psychiatrist is going to cost at least €100 per month the last time I checked and even then most only cover 50% of the cost (and not 100%).
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bc2015
Emm as a recent Irish-expat, I wouldn't really recommend moving to Ireland to get healthcare.

Though things are getting better, if you are living on the lower end of the wage scale (minimum wage is €8.65) then things are still quite tough. There's a huge rental squeeze going on in Dublin and surrounding areas at the moment which prices most lower wage earners out of the market unless they live in shared accomodation. Living anywhere rural requires a car (imo, as public transport outside major towns/cities is not really reliable) which is expensive to run in Ireland (compared to Canada anyway). You could try smaller cities like Cork or Galway though I have no experience of them.

As for healthcare, health insurance is essential. The public service is overstretched and still under resourced, especially in the mental health area. To get any kind of insurance that would cover day to day stuff such as visits to see GP or psychiatrist is going to cost at least €100 per month the last time I checked and even then most only cover 50% of the cost (and not 100%).
Moved back to Ireland 3 years ago and must say that it's a great country and really improving. You can argue about the health system anywhere and no place offers free health care. In the UK or Germany a lot more comes out of your salary each month, but here I have the choice. You can get decent insurance for €50 a month and you don't have the long waiting times like people without insurance. The GP visit might cost €50, but you get half of that back and if you're referred hospital is free and you have good private clinics in Galway. My partner also didn't have to pay anything for Physio and a lot of companies actually offer even cheaper insurance. I only pay about €30 a month and that includes dental treatments etc. Dublin of course is like any city, but I'm in Galway and housing alone will save you thousands a year. The job market is also great in Galway and a lot of investment happening, example Apple, Medtronic and plenty of other Tech companies. Even on minimum wage you are nearly on €1.400 take home, so two people without kids can easily manage if they want and I've seen plenty of jobs advertised, be it retail, hotels that even pay above that. We have a 4 bed house with over half a acre 20 mins from Galway and have never really needed more than €1500 a month. If we do spend more, it's mostly because we treat ourselves to things that aren't really needed, like a bigger TV, new sofa etc.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Sounds like the advantage to BC's healthcare is there is no charges at point of service, so no need to ever worry about having money at the GP's. Medication is hit or miss depending on income, and what type of insurance one has, we are fortunate we have almost all medications covered 100%.

Our monthly premiums are also covered, so we pay nothing out of pocket for medical except on the rare occasion a medication isn't covered.

But the monthly premiums are not excessive, range from 60 ish to 150 ish, depending on family size.

Not sure how other provinces handle healthcare, but overall I give BC a 8/10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.