Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Condo living is not ideal but it really depends on your budget, for some a condo is all that can be afforded.
Mike, how is the house hunting going? Stressful? Still Coq? Good luck with it all!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Agree with Lychee, my DT friends seem to love it. I've never had an issue with transit myself.
It's just too packed and unless on a major bus route can be pretty unreliable. I took one route that ran 2 times per hour, so not a lot to choose from.

Standing in a moving sardine can for 40-50 mins is worse for me then driving the same distance, and that is the issue I have.

Downtown living has advantages I agree, I just really wan't a pond, a garden and a quiet private place to relax. That is why I desire a yard so much.

At the same time downtown renting requires a large income.

It may just be a depression thing, I just get really down knowing, I'll always be in a small box.

I also dislike public parks, and really need my privacy, just can't do that in a public park.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 19th 2015 at 9:35 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
+15

And if you are actually earning pounds, it's even cheaper. Vancouver is genuinely expensive.
Vancouver is in my view the most over rated city in North America, there are several I would call nicer, prettier, and overall a better place to live.

I can't see the beauty in Vancouver or why it's so popular other then having mild weather compared to the rest of Canada.

I prefer city's like San Diego, or Washington DC and the smaller towns around Lake Ontario in Ontario. I loved Port Hope, just were not any jobs which is the problem with those quaint nice towns.

Suppose we all see beauty and comfort different ways.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 12:26 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver is in my view the most over rated city in North America, there are several I would call nicer, prettier, and overall a better place to live.

I can't see the beauty in Vancouver or why it's so popular other then having mild weather compared to the rest of Canada.

I prefer city's like San Diego, or Washington DC and the smaller towns around Lake Ontario in Ontario. I loved Port Hope, just were not any jobs which is the problem with those quaint nice towns.

Suppose we all see beauty and comfort different ways.
Cos we don't have a bloody great big highway ripping thru the middle of it
Old Apr 20th 2015, 1:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Cos we don't have a bloody great big highway ripping thru the middle of it
Doesn't really reduce quality of life, the in San Diego's case most of city built up around the free ways.

For a place like San Diego without free ways the place would be literal grid lock, the region is huge and there is no way to not have a free way.

San Diego region is 4,526 Sq miles in size, with a little over 3.2 million people.

Metro Vancouver is 1,110 sq miles approx with 2.4 million approx.

There is no way to not have freeways to move people, no way city's streets could handle that kind of volume. For large city's freeways are efficient in moving people and goods.

Overall San Diego has limited congestion, mostly just 2 hours in the AM 7-9 and 4 to 6 in the PM

Vancouver is a nice city but not worth the housing costs, one should not need a near 6 figure income just to have basic housing.

I'd like Vancouver if one could afford to live there, basically BC in general, but in our income range this is hands down the worst place in Canada to live. Housing is just out of control and wages do not go up fast enough to cover the increases in rent.

At the rate Squamish is going though, may end up needing to move to Vancouver to get more reasonable rent....lol

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 20th 2015 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 2:36 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but everyone else is not you. Plenty of people are having good lives here, hence the population growth. Not touching the highway thing cos it's been debated to death.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 2:47 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't really reduce quality of life, the in San Diego's case most of city built up around the free ways.

For a place like San Diego without free ways the place would be literal grid lock, the region is huge and there is no way to not have a free way.

San Diego region is 4,526 Sq miles in size, with a little over 3.2 million people.

Metro Vancouver is 1,110 sq miles approx with 2.4 million approx.

There is no way to not have freeways to move people, no way city's streets could handle that kind of volume. For large city's freeways are efficient in moving people and goods.

Overall San Diego has limited congestion, mostly just 2 hours in the AM 7-9 and 4 to 6 in the PM

Vancouver is a nice city but not worth the housing costs, one should not need a near 6 figure income just to have basic housing.

I'd like Vancouver if one could afford to live there, basically BC in general, but in our income range this is hands down the worst place in Canada to live. Housing is just out of control and wages do not go up fast enough to cover the increases in rent.

At the rate Squamish is going though, may end up needing to move to Vancouver to get more reasonable rent....lol

Not what you says on the plebiscite thread.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 4:55 am
Account Closed

I know, but everyone else is not you. Plenty of people are having good lives here, hence the population growth. Not touching the highway thing cos it's been debated to death.
If you have a high income pushing 6 figures you can. Nobody else can though unless you enjoy living in tiny rooms with multiple people because rent is so high nobody without a high income can afford a house or an apartment.

I'd like to be happy, but since I am poor, I cannot be happy and unless your poor you will not and cannot understand, and as far as I can tell, few if any one here are poor.

Try living on 12/hr in LM and be happy and stable financially with a future, its 100% impossible.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a high income pushing 6 figures you can. Nobody else can though unless you enjoy living in tiny rooms with multiple people because rent is so high nobody without a high income can afford a house or an apartment.

I'd like to be happy, but since I am poor, I cannot be happy and unless your poor you will not and cannot understand, and as far as I can tell, few if any one here are poor.

Try living on 12/hr in LM and be happy and stable financially with a future, its 100% impossible.
Could you please change the record. Many of us have been "poor" but, rather than complaining about everything and putting up excuses as to why the suggestions of others "don't work for me", have taken the advice of others and altered it to fit their own circumstances.

In all the years you have been posting here, I don't recall a single occasion when you have said something to the effect of, "That may work" There is always some excuse as to why it won't work.

I accept you have mental issues and I really hope that one day you will be happy. I simply can't see how you ever will.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Oi Vey and Jesus Wept.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 2:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmith, in the gentlest possible way may I suggest you seem unusually negative lately?

I know things are tough but there are always options, but if you are depressed I also know it's hard to see them because your mind is leading you astray.

All i will say is this: it's not as bad as you perceive. Trust.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Could you please change the record. Many of us have been "poor" but, rather than complaining about everything and putting up excuses as to why the suggestions of others "don't work for me", have taken the advice of others and altered it to fit their own circumstances.

In all the years you have been posting here, I don't recall a single occasion when you have said something to the effect of, "That may work" There is always some excuse as to why it won't work.

I accept you have mental issues and I really hope that one day you will be happy. I simply can't see how you ever will.
I've tried more the most will realize, I haven't moved around the contient for fun, it was all on the advice of someone to try a lower cost of living place, problem was my income always went down, so in the end there was no net gain.

I also tried school on multiple occasions, but struggled and then got into student loan debt which prevented me from going back for numerous years. That debt is now paid off.

The root source of the issue is employment and obtaining a job that isn't 12/hr, which is something I haven't figured out how to do yet.

Jsmith, in the gentlest possible way may I suggest you seem unusually negative lately?

I know things are tough but there are always options, but if you are depressed I also know it's hard to see them because your mind is leading you astray.

All i will say is this: it's not as bad as you perceive. Trust.
I go through extreme lows and highs with a mix of okay mixed in.

MSP doesn't cover the appropriate treatment and as there is no approved medication, I pretty much have to try and fix myself the best I can with the knowledge I have.

Until MSP covers all mental health stuff, people will fall through the cracks. Mental health units largely only have the ability to deal with issues that can be managed with medication.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

JSmth - FWIW I can be pretty negative but you have to try to see it I think, as well.

Negativity is sometimes a state of mind, but in my opinion, it is also a convenient excuse.

What is that slogan of caretaker? 'I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.'

I'm not saying that everything is right, but I hope you can find your happiness.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:20 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Mike, how is the house hunting going? Stressful? Still Coq? Good luck with it all!
Put on hold till later in the year, thinking we might look further a field. Now I work from home and have a company car we can live literally anywhere within the lower mainland.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried more the most will realize, I haven't moved around the contient for fun, it was all on the advice of someone to try a lower cost of living place, problem was my income always went down, so in the end there was no net gain.

I also tried school on multiple occasions, but struggled and then got into student loan debt which prevented me from going back for numerous years. That debt is now paid off.

The root source of the issue is employment and obtaining a job that isn't 12/hr, which is something I haven't figured out how to do yet.

I go through extreme lows and highs with a mix of okay mixed in.

MSP doesn't cover the appropriate treatment and as there is no approved medication, I pretty much have to try and fix myself the best I can with the knowledge I have.

Until MSP covers all mental health stuff, people will fall through the cracks. Mental health units largely only have the ability to deal with issues that can be managed with medication.
I just think you have to move away, otherwise nothing will change. As mentioned before, the UK might be an option for you. The great thing now is that you know what you want and that seems to be a house with garden if I'm right? Ok I'm in Ireland, but most people I know don't earn more than €30K and they all have a house (owned/rented), go on holiday 2-3 times a year. I'm sure there are plenty of locations like that in the UK too, so I would really consider a move now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.