Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Old Apr 19th 2015, 12:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
The sea to sky is the easy bit. once you hit the north shore, the traffic is not fun, and then there's the bridge....
True, but it beats the miserable traffic from the Fraser Valley.

The bridge and north shore and not really not that bad most of the time and beats coming from places like Abby or Maple Ridge or other highly congested places where the entire commute is congested...
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Why would anyone uproot their lives to live a commuting lifestyle if they didn't have to? 2 hours in a car per day is something you can easily avoid if you downsize and live closer to where you or your significant other will be working. If you downsize, you can probably live somewhere close enough where you/they can just walk to work!
Because downsizing means condo living, and condo living isn't for everyone and doesn't provide a good lifestyle in my view. Why live in Vancouver and be stuck in a condo with no yard, no outdoors but a balcony, in a small box?

All depends on what you want and if you wan't a house, that is out for most people except the highest of earners in Vancouver now if all you can afford for example if 500,000 or less, you really can't find a house in Vancouver (city of Vancouver) for that price, just condos really these days.

If I had the ability to buy, I'd rather commute then keep living in a tiny box.

Condo living is depressing and the pits, no space, no outdoors to garden in, just a box with limited space.

Not to mention is there really any huge difference between sitting in the car for an hour or sitting or standing on public transit for an hour? And many transit commutes within the city of Vancouver will take an hour or more.

If you can buy a house in Vancouver at today's prices your income is well above average and the OP hubby being a nurse, the salary is about average to slightly above average and not likely able to buy a million dollar house.

Vancouver = City of Vancouver not including the burbs like Burnaby, Richmond and the like.

Disclaimer: I have a huge hate for condo living, I had to live in them my entire adult life and frankly condo living sucks, they are small, no yard, no garden, stupid strata freaks who like to control your life. Just pure yuck.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 19th 2015 at 1:09 am.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:41 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Because downsizing means condo living, and condo living isn't for everyone and doesn't provide a good lifestyle in my view. Why live in Vancouver and be stuck in a condo with no yard, no outdoors but a balcony, in a small box?

All depends on what you want and if you wan't a house, that is out for most people except the highest of earners in Vancouver now if all you can afford for example if 500,000 or less, you really can't find a house in Vancouver (city of Vancouver) for that price, just condos really these days.

If I had the ability to buy, I'd rather commute then keep living in a tiny box.

Condo living is depressing and the pits, no space, no outdoors to garden in, just a box with limited space.

Not to mention is there really any huge difference between sitting in the car for an hour or sitting or standing on public transit for an hour? And many transit commutes within the city of Vancouver will take an hour or more.

If you can buy a house in Vancouver at today's prices your income is well above average and the OP hubby being a nurse, the salary is about average to slightly above average and not likely able to buy a million dollar house.

Vancouver = City of Vancouver not including the burbs like Burnaby, Richmond and the like.

Disclaimer: I have a huge hate for condo living, I had to live in them my entire adult life and frankly condo living sucks, they are small, no yard, no garden, stupid strata freaks who like to control your life. Just pure yuck.
Condo living is not ideal but it really depends on your budget, for some a condo is all that can be afforded.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Condo living is not ideal but it really depends on your budget, for some a condo is all that can be afforded.
I know and that is why people choose to commute instead, so they can have a house which is what I was trying to say...lol

For commuters they have decided condo living isn't for them and commuting is worth it so they can have a house.

I'd consider a condo if it was directly downtown Vancouver which would never happen, but down town you can literally walk everywhere, and never need to use transit or a car. Otherwise I'd rather just live in another city that isn't Vancouver as Vancouver otherwise offers no real benefit over any other LM city.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The bridge and north shore and not really not that bad most of the time and beats coming from places like Abby or Maple Ridge or other highly congested places where the entire commute is congested...
If there are two of you in a vehicle, you can get from Abby to Downtown in under an hour at peak times....
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

If there are two of you in a vehicle, you can get from Abby to Downtown in under an hour at peak times....

I know people who commute from Chilliwack to Vancouver or Harrison to Langley every day.

Now they are mad...
Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

There's a reason God gave us helicopters...
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Because the seawall becomes your backyard. Stanley Park becomes your back yard. English Bay and Second Beach becomes your back yard. David Lam Park becomes your backyard. I lived in a rented condo in Yaletown for 5 years (1 bedroom, no balcony but a stunning view and a block from the seawall) and it was wonderful. It's a different mindset. It's not suburban living. You do not own a yard, but you have immediate access to beaches and public waterfront and all the outdoors you'd ever want. You learn that you do not need a yard when you are surrounded with all these public parks, gardens, and waterfront. I'm just saying, it's an option. It's not the right option for everywhere, but in the right place, it can be liberating. And everything you need is within walking distance. You can save serious money by not having a car. And if you need a car for the day, there is Modo or Zip Car or Car to Go.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 19th 2015 at 5:13 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelley Bean
Hi! I'm a newbie - coming out of my lurking phase to join in on this conversation!

I wonder what everyone's thoughts are about Vancouver's property market compared to London (which is actually cooling this year). And whether you'd expect Vancouver to grow at a quicker rate?

My husband and I are hoping to move to Vancouver but it's probably 2 years away as we have just started the process of getting his nursing credentials assessed. We are are under no impression that Vancouver is affordable, but it's at least cheaper than London so we figured we'd do alright by selling our London flat and bringing over the equity. Now I'm worried that the gap is going to close in the next few years which seems illogical considering London has more reasons to support the high prices - but I'm just wondering if anyone with knowledge or experience of both cities has any thoughts?
IMO I think Vancouver is more expensive than London. May be renting is just slightly higher in London. But other things in Van are more expensive London. Such as food and alcohol. Plus excursions or activities are expensive to do here. Flights anywhere are a joke.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by withabix
Most don't seem to commute n pairs though. It's still a less pleasant commute and if your going to buy, Squamish offers more for about the same cost, renting though Abby is better.

Because the seawall becomes your backyard. Stanley Park becomes your back yard. English Bay and Second Beach becomes your back yard. David Lam Park becomes your backyard. I lived in a rented condo in Yaletown for 5 years (1 bedroom, no balcony but a stunning view and a block from the seawall) and it was wonderful. It's a different mindset. It's not suburban living. You do not own a yard, but you have immediate access to beaches and public waterfront and all the outdoors you'd ever want. You learn that you do not need a yard when you are surrounded with all these public parks, gardens, and waterfront. I'm just saying, it's an option. It's not the right option for everywhere, but in the right place, it can be liberating. And everything you need is within walking distance. You can save serious money by not having a car. And if you need a car for the day, there is Modo or Zip Car or Car to Go.
Even if we gave up the car, downtown Vancouver is out of our ability and the amount of the car would not be fully saved as we would still need to pay for some transportation. We looked into it, but I haven't seen much under 1,000 which would be the upper limit for us.

The whole point for a backyard is to relax in private, you can't do that at any public park, nor have a pond, or anything else in a public park.

And biggest of all, I want a backyard for the dog can have some outdoor time off a leash in a safe area.

The whole point of owning in my view is to have private space and a private yard to get away from other people and the public and just relax without having to go somewhere.

If we could afford the rents downtown, I'd rather rent a house in say Abbotsford and have space.

Now if I was a professional and had a high income, and worked downtown, it would be different, but working downtown is a long shot. That is when I would considering living downtown, but if I have to commute on transit, not worth it.

I just could never deal with transit again for a commute, it's too slow, crowded and not reliable. But working and living downtown would be a different story. Just not likely to happen at a wage that is high enough to afford the prices asked downtown.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 6:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Lychee, my DT friends seem to love it. I've never had an issue with transit myself.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Vote for brightest poster on this forum - eternally Lychee
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is nothing compared to London, not to mention the GBP is always stellar and the loonie is only going one way.

London salaries can be over 100K GBP, here you are looking at 75K average. Vancouver benefits from overseas investors, other than that, there is NO comparison between these cities IMO.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deutsche bank is bearish "serious trouble" on real estate but you can feel the euphoria on the streets: Deutsche Bank reveals 7 reasons why ‘Canada is in serious trouble,’ starting with a 63% overvalued housing market | Financial Post
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
IMO I think Vancouver is more expensive than London. May be renting is just slightly higher in London. But other things in Van are more expensive London. Such as food and alcohol. Plus excursions or activities are expensive to do here. Flights anywhere are a joke.
+15

And if you are actually earning pounds, it's even cheaper. Vancouver is genuinely expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.