Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House prices in Canada - location matters

House prices in Canada - location matters

Old Jan 21st 2015, 1:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House prices in Canada - location matters

Originally Posted by R I C H
You don't think a landlord includes those overheads in his rental price? I certainly do.
I think you missed my point which was reinforcing jsmth's comment about there being costs in addition to purchase costs. It wasn't about what is or isn't included in rent.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:53 am
Just Joined

mdkdue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I have been reading this thread with interest.

We are hoping to move to Canada early next year. The plan is to sell our house in the UK and use the equity to buy something outright in Canada.

I think we will have in the region of around $250,000+ to spend. We will be moving to BC, around Chilliwack/Abbotsford.

I have been looking at what's available and I think we will be quite limited as I don't want anything leasehold or with strata fees. Its just my wife and I, so we could easily cope with a 2/3 bedroom, and it doesn't have to be especially big. It does need to have at least two floors though.

Do you think this will be possible?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:46 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have. In the UK and in Canada (twice). It's a good time to trade up as the greater the value of the house the greater the proportionate fall in value. Alas, I never compared the impact of the bubble bursting on McMansions in far suburbs as opposed to the impact on quality urban housing stock because, well, it doesn't matter how little the house in the distant 'burb costs. It's still out there.
agreed.

I can see people already in Abby or the 'Whack trading up but someone from East Van, say, buying out there? very unlikely
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:49 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdkdue
Hi all

We are hoping to move to Canada early next year. The plan is to sell our house in the UK and use the equity to buy something outright in Canada.

I think we will have in the region of around $250,000+ to spend. We will be moving to BC, around Chilliwack/Abbotsford.

I have been looking at what's available and I think we will be quite limited as I don't want anything leasehold or with strata fees. Its just my wife and I, so we could easily cope with a 2/3 bedroom, and it doesn't have to be especially big. It does need to have at least two floors though.

250k will get you a condo or at a push a small town home. If you want a single family home on two floors freehold non strata then you will need to increase your budget.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
250k will get you a condo or at a push a small town home. If you want a single family home on two floors freehold non strata then you will need to increase your budget.
I have seen some around the 230,000 mark. Nothing fancy but big enough for us. These were freehold and non strata.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:55 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Squamish...lol?

If you need to be in downtown Vancouver, its quicker and nicer job then anywhere from the valley such as Maple Ridge, however we do lack certain amenities like a movie theater but you do have all the basics, and if you like outdoors stuff, lots to do within a 1 hour drive.

55 minutes generally to downtown.
As of next month I will be working from home and visiting customers,so only occasionally will need to go into the office. So no need to be near downtown and hence widening the house search area.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen some around the 230,000 mark. Nothing fancy but big enough for us. These were freehold and non strata.
Cheaper properties might not be where you want to be, location-wise.

You may also need to budget for what they call 'deferred maintenance' and significant defects over here - especially things you do not normally consider in the UK, such as cracked foundation slabs, a new roof, a new furnace, insulation, new sidings, getting rid of old buried oil tanks, dealing with flooded crawl spaces etc...

Take a look at the BC Assessment website to see what proportion of the assessed value is in the building and what is in the land.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:57 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

a good inspection report will flag all of those and then you can use the leverage to knock down the price.

under BC law the previous owner should remove any oil tanks anyway.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
a good inspection report will flag all of those and then you can use the leverage to knock down the price.

under BC law the previous owner should remove any oil tanks anyway.
That's dependent on finding a good inspector though
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Interest rate down to 0.75% this morning.

Economy worries...
Old Jan 21st 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
That's dependent on finding a good inspector though
we've never had a problem - go by word of mouth.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

You might be able to get a fixer upper in Chilliwack in that budge, Abbotsford probably not, have you looked into Mission? Not the greatest city but it's only a 20 minute or so drive to Abbotsford.

Or Maybe Hope or Aggasiz, both small towns about 30-45 minutes from Chilliwack to the east.

You likely won't find anything house wise anywhere else in the lower mainland for that price range, just condos or possibly a town house, but then you are not really owning anything but the unit, and you have to deal with strata's which are unpleasant on a good day and look into the area as well, in some area's condos are not going up in value, and might even be losing value, so may not be a good investment.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You might be able to get a fixer upper in Chilliwack in that budge, Abbotsford probably not, have you looked into Mission? Not the greatest city but it's only a 20 minute or so drive to Abbotsford.

Or Maybe Hope or Aggasiz, both small towns about 30-45 minutes from Chilliwack to the east.

You likely won't find anything house wise anywhere else in the lower mainland for that price range, just condos or possibly a town house, but then you are not really owning anything but the unit, and you have to deal with strata's which are unpleasant on a good day and look into the area as well, in some area's condos are not going up in value, and might even be losing value, so may not be a good investment.
Thanks very much for that information, I shall definitely look into those areas as we are still open to other options. The main aim is to be mortgage free!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:10 pm

Thanks very much for that information, I shall definitely look into those areas as we are still open to other options. The main aim is to be mortgage free!
Mission maybe an option as your then on the west coast express route, about an hour half train ride into Vancouver down town. But no need to queue in traffic, no parking issues. Only problem is it only runs at rush hour,so a train in the morning and a train in the evening
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

If your aim is to be mortgage free, the Lower Mainland is not the place to do it unless you are prepared to downsize to a condo or townhouse, which is a perfectly normal thing to do for most families with your budget. Otherwise, to be mortgage free AND own a sizable single family home on your budget, you should be looking at the Cariboo region of BC (Williams Lake, Quesnel, 100 Mile House) or Northern BC (Prince George, Prince Rupert, Stewart, Terrace), although these are real pioneering communities with the economy revolving around natural resource extraction: ranching, forestry, fishing, mining, etc. These are not communities one moves if you wish to replicate an English lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.