Hockey...Eh!

Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

DiscoShrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hockey...Eh!

Afternoon all, Just wondering if there are any expat hockey teams/groups around the Calgary/Med Hat Area? Trying to keep up with some of the locals will be the death of me!

Cheers!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:49 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hockey...Eh!

Not sure how much luck you will have as most of the Brits around here despise hockey... however, AndrewBrit is organizing a Meetup in Calgary for next month, you might meet some people that way! The thread is in the Maple Leaf part of the forum. Good luck!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiscoShrew
Afternoon all, Just wondering if there are any expat hockey teams/groups around the Calgary/Med Hat Area? Trying to keep up with some of the locals will be the death of me!

Cheers!
Field Hockey????
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:17 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Field Hockey????
I'll bet he means iced hockey.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:14 am
Just Joined

DiscoShrew is an unknown quantity at this point

I did mean ice hockey!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:33 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Not sure how much luck you will have as most of the Brits around here despise hockey
So I like Hockey, I like Toronto and I went out in the yard in a T-Shirt cos it was only -2 a couple of weeks ago.

I'd best go hand in my UK passport eh?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
So I like Hockey, I like Toronto and I went out in the yard in a T-Shirt cos it was only -2 a couple of weeks ago.

Hahahaha that is awesome. Love it. All you need to do now is barbecue in that -2 weather and you're all set

Also, love that you added the "eh" into your post.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I did mean ice hockey!
How on earth can you be an expat and play Iced Hockey?

I've only ever been ice skating about 6 times and unless a girl offers to take me round I don't leave the side.

Are you a troll?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

You only like Toronto because it means that you get to watch less professional Iced Hockey in a year than if you lived anywhere else.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
How on earth can you be an expat and play Iced Hockey?

I've only ever been ice skating about 6 times and unless a girl offers to take me round I don't leave the side.

Are you a troll?
Like this! (it helps if you are five when you move here)
Attached Thumbnails Hockey...Eh!-hockey.jpg   Hockey...Eh!-hockey-2.jpg  
Old Apr 15th 2015, 5:10 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scnooks!

James- I just look like a troll Oh, and double Flag for thread drift.

And I'm not an expat- I was an expat in Botswana and then Nigeria, I'm a resident here. (Said in best Hyacinth Bouquet voice).

I thought it was a disadvantage that I'd started cheering the Canucks before actually moving here and landing in TO, now I realise that it's a blessing in disguise as you get a longer season for the same money.

HG: I would add one of my eldest ice skatering but it's a lousy picture compared to yours. But Boo to Oakville anyway.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you played before at all?

I joined up to the NCHL's discover hockey program - www.discoverhockey.com

They put you through a 10-week beginners course and teach you all the basics...then they put you into a team to play in their league

its all non-contact and tonnes of fun, met a lot of good people through it
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by haggis88
Have you played before at all?

I joined up to the NCHL's discover hockey program - www.discoverhockey.com

They put you through a 10-week beginners course and teach you all the basics...then they put you into a team to play in their league

its all non-contact and tonnes of fun, met a lot of good people through it
So can you play now?
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:20 pm
Proudly Scarberian

I did mean ice hockey!
I don't know what Alberta is like but this winter I went and played some pickup shinny (recreational non-contact hockey for any- er- poms out there) on the outdoor rinks. Must admit some nerves (ie shat myself) after throwing the stick in the middle but everyone was pretty cool about it. There are some really good hockey players who come out for some practise/ love of the game and play down to our level; and one or two asshats who probably aren't good enough for the leagues and hate themselves for it.

After I'd got over that I found it was tremendous fun and great exercise. My Nigerian cricket jersey may have passed off as an obscure hockey jersey so wear something clearly highlighting you as a beginner. And I found my "Canadian Tire's Cheapest" may have been fine for teaching the ankle biters how to skate but not enough for anything more; $60 at "play it again sports" sorted that.

The problem in Toronto is only the outdoor rinks have this sort of drop-in session and they've all melted now, so I'm back to eating chips and getting fat until December.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

How about you tell us your thoughts on Wayne and Shuster, Bowser and Blue, CBC Drama, Don Cherry and Tim Horton's..then we'll make a sweeping generalization to determine if you are no longer UK worthy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.