Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

With Hindsight - RECCE visit

With Hindsight - RECCE visit

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default With Hindsight - RECCE visit

hi

Just wondered if anyone has any hindsight insights they want to share about their first RECCE visit to Canada.

That is, with hindsight, is there anything that you wish you had done or considered in relation to your Canadian RECCE or first business trip there?

I will be going on my RECCE & business trip this summer

Any insights would be appreciated!
thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: With Hindsight - RECCE visit

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
hi

Just wondered if anyone has any hindsight insights they want to share about their first RECCE visit to Canada.

That is, with hindsight, is there anything that you wish you had done or considered in relation to your Canadian RECCE or first business trip there?

thanks
Go in winter.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
hi

thanks
It wasn't so much a recce trip, as we had already spent many weeks living in Canada as if we were permanent here. Our mistake was more with the week we spent when we "landed" to activate our PR Visas. Although we were only here for 7 days, we managed to visit 4 schools, 2 Realtors, get SINs, agree a mortgage offer, see a lawyer about limited company formation, new wills etc. Register with 2 letting agencies. I even got a fishing licence!

The reality is we really didn't need to do 90% of the stuff we did do. We should have chilled out, enjoyed the week gone sightseeing, pottered around the towns and countryside. Plenty of time for all the other crap when you move here!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:34 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike

The reality is we really didn't need to do 90% of the stuff we did do. We should have chilled out, enjoyed the week gone sightseeing, pottered around the towns and countryside. Plenty of time for all the other crap when you move here!
I can't tell you how much I agree with Rivington. Yes, it's important to come over with a view to returning and making the move a successful one, but try to 'just' enjoy yourself too, and decide if you actually 'like' it here.

With hindsight I would have come in February, that would have confirmed to me that regardless of whatever wonderful things were happening the rest of the year, nothing was worth this frigid, frozen nonsense...forgive me, I'm biased tonight, it's snowing, with freezing rain and wind chill...the sun will shine soon and I'll be nicer.

Have a really enjoyable time planning it all OP, try to keep a diary too...just a couple of sentences on a Word doc perhaps, it's just nice to look back on your initial impressions later on...you'd be amazed how perspective can change it all..

Very best of luck
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:22 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I can't tell you how much I agree with Rivington. Yes, it's important to come over with a view to returning and making the move a successful one, but try to 'just' enjoy yourself too, and decide if you actually 'like' it here.

With hindsight I would have come in February, that would have confirmed to me that regardless of whatever wonderful things were happening the rest of the year, nothing was worth this frigid, frozen nonsense...forgive me, I'm biased tonight, it's snowing, with freezing rain and wind chill...the sun will shine soon and I'll be nicer.

Have a really enjoyable time planning it all OP, try to keep a diary too...just a couple of sentences on a Word doc perhaps, it's just nice to look back on your initial impressions later on...you'd be amazed how perspective can change it all..

Very best of luck
I am done with this weather too. I loathe March and April. I just drove to work in a blizzard, its gross outside
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Go in winter.

Make sure you take the above advice and see the area you wish to live 'at its worst'.

Go mid January if you can when people are at their most miserable. ie-
Christmas is over and there is nothing to look forward to until the snow has thawed out in April/May.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Make sure you take the above advice and see the area you wish to live 'at its worst'.

Go mid January if you can when people are at their most miserable. ie-
Christmas is over and there is nothing to look forward to until the snow has thawed out in April/May.

........ or it's been pouring with rain in Vancouver for days, and the forecast is for even more
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take on too much - we traveled miles upon miles.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 7:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe people when they tell you that there are loads of jobs, that you'll have no trouble getting one, that they'll employ you as you soon as you arrive, that your British experience and qualifications will be valued.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:41 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Don't believe people when they tell you that there are loads of jobs, that you'll have no trouble getting one, that they'll employ you as you soon as you arrive, that your British experience and qualifications will be valued.
Agree. Also even if a company tells you they will have a job for you should you move over, assume it's very unlikely.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 2:13 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With Hindsight - REECE visit

I remember that one I even believed it...sadly enough!
Old Mar 25th 2017, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

So so true! We fell for that one! Luckily we found jobs but not because the streets were lined with job offers!
Old Mar 25th 2017, 6:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
So so true! We fell for that one! Luckily we found jobs but not because the streets were lined with job offers!
And unlike the Americans, Canadians are at best indifferent to Brits but more likely prejudicial and hostile.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
And unlike the Americans, Canadians are at best indifferent to Brits but more likely prejudicial and hostile.
I disagree with them being prejudicial and hostile. Maybe you're in the wrong part of the country!
Old Mar 25th 2017, 10:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I disagree with them being prejudicial and hostile. Maybe you're in the wrong part of the country!
It's all that rain. It puts them in a bad mood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.