Hi to all

Old May 24th 2008, 11:58 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi to all

I have been reading this website for a while now and just wanted to share my experience.

7 years ago I was working in London with a commute from Hertfordshire with train delays and the like making life very difficult. My husband was finding it very hard to find contracts in his field (oil and gas). We have no kids.

I came home from work one day after a particularly hard journey from Liverpool Street and my husband said that he had a telephone interview the next day for a job in Calgary - I said to him make sure you get the job I am just ready to leave all this behind.

He got the job and they fast tracked a work visa and he left within a week. I stayed behind as I still had my job and I wanted to make sure that he was happy in the position and place.

That was in May - I followed over in the July for 6 weeks to great weather and liked Calgary straight away. I remember eating outside in Eau Claire and everyone was so friendly. Couldn't get over that really.

I gave up my job and joined him full-time the following February. I was lucky as there were lots of other families shipped over at the same time as us so that's a great advantage.

So to cut a long story short - we got permanent residency and then became Canadian citizens. We have a life style which is far better than we had before. We find our money goes much further (may not so much with property in recent years). We live in a great condo in the Kensington area which means I can walk to work or get a short ride on a train/bus. We also have a lovely house in BC on a golf course which we can get to for weekends - something we would never be able to afford in the UK.

I am not saying its all rosy and I sometimes curse the winters but all in all Calgary has been very good to us and when I read some of the posts from people who are waiting to get over here and it is taking them years it brings tears to my eyes.

So good luck to all of you hoping to get your PR status - it was worth it for us.

And Judy in Calgary I think you are great and so helpful and sensible in your advice to everyone.
Old May 25th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi to all

Welcome
Old May 25th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Hello and welcome to BE.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:14 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jancal

My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Calgary and we have received an invitation to go over for a second interview face to face and have a recce trip soon.

One of our reasons is the ski, after several holiday trips and also amongs a number of others reasons.

Welcome to the site and you should meet a great group of people that also live around Calgary.
Old May 27th 2008, 12:52 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

You chose a good place to be, welcome
Old May 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jancal
I have been reading this website for a while now and just wanted to share my experience.

7 years ago I was working in London with a commute from Hertfordshire with train delays and the like making life very difficult. My husband was finding it very hard to find contracts in his field (oil and gas). We have no kids.

I came home from work one day after a particularly hard journey from Liverpool Street and my husband said that he had a telephone interview the next day for a job in Calgary - I said to him make sure you get the job I am just ready to leave all this behind.

He got the job and they fast tracked a work visa and he left within a week. I stayed behind as I still had my job and I wanted to make sure that he was happy in the position and place.

That was in May - I followed over in the July for 6 weeks to great weather and liked Calgary straight away. I remember eating outside in Eau Claire and everyone was so friendly. Couldn't get over that really.

I gave up my job and joined him full-time the following February. I was lucky as there were lots of other families shipped over at the same time as us so that's a great advantage.

So to cut a long story short - we got permanent residency and then became Canadian citizens. We have a life style which is far better than we had before. We find our money goes much further (may not so much with property in recent years). We live in a great condo in the Kensington area which means I can walk to work or get a short ride on a train/bus. We also have a lovely house in BC on a golf course which we can get to for weekends - something we would never be able to afford in the UK.

I am not saying its all rosy and I sometimes curse the winters but all in all Calgary has been very good to us and when I read some of the posts from people who are waiting to get over here and it is taking them years it brings tears to my eyes.

So good luck to all of you hoping to get your PR status - it was worth it for us.

And Judy in Calgary I think you are great and so helpful and sensible in your advice to everyone.

Welcome to the forum Jancal!

Well what a really lovely post! whe you read posts like your, it really makes you feel like your doing the right thing.....the bit when you said you couldnt get over how freindly people were, thats how ive always found it, im not living in Canada yet but ive been over there to different parts now 7-8times now, many people seem to want to burst your bubble and say "oh thats only a holiday" its nothing like that in day to day life, well here are you saying just that! and that was from someone living in Herfordshire, which Ive always felt is one of the lovely areas of the UK.

Quality of life...thats what 9 out of 10 want to make the move, and you have proved it!

You have also balanced it up nicely saying - its not all rosey....where is! but it sounds like you have settled in brilliantly. Fantastic!

Paul
Old May 27th 2008, 8:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Hi to all

Hi Jancal Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Paul Shepherd - what a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us and glad everything has worked out so well for you....

What an inspiration
Old May 28th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hi and welcome to BE.

Good to hear your enjoying your new life.

Sue
Old May 29th 2008, 12:01 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Paul, Hertfordshire is lovely but it does not have mountains and lakes and after all BC is the "Best Place on Earth"!!

Where are you aiming to live over here - sorry you have probably said on a previous thread but I missed it.

I think from reading replies that most people are happier in Western Canada - could I be wrong??
Old May 29th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Paul, Hertfordshire is lovely but it does not have mountains and lakes and after all BC is the "Best Place on Earth"!!

Where are you aiming to live over here - sorry you have probably said on a previous thread but I missed it.

I think from reading replies that most people are happier in Western Canada - could I be wrong??
Yes Jancal western Canada is beautiful, BC and Alberta, however I am heading for Ontario for two main reasons really, Firstly I have a friend who emigrtated there 3 years ago (Oakville area) - he said I can live with him for a while whilst I find my feet whcih is a massive help, and his friends are my friends etc and secondly i am a draughtsman in mechanical engineering, and I believe the majority of enigeering industry is in Ontario.

Originally I really wanted to head for Vancouver or Calgary, as it is beautiful, and I love Calgary, however my friend has taken me to places in Ontario I never dreamed existed, OK there arn't the fantastic Rocky mountains...but there are so many lakes, and the Muskoka region of Ontario is beautiful, in winter and in summer months! so that was my compromise!

There are still many friendly polite people...dont think that changes anywhere accross Canada!
Old May 29th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

loza789 is on a distinguished road

Hello Jancal,

Just wanted so say that I really enjoyed reading your post and that's it such a nice thing to read a positive statement form someone who is living our dream.

Thanks

Loz